vCash

gordeeva's transition into singles skating and that commentator

i just watched several of katia's early singles competitions after sergei's death and was reminded of that commentator who once quipped, to paraphrase it AFAIR, "i wonder how she would be like if she were a singles skater. i guess we'll never know." i think this comment was made during the 94 olys, which was really eerie considering what happened after.

did anyone ever ask that commentator what his thoughts were of that comment upon news of sergei's passing?

Vacant
    vCash
    That comment was made by Barry Davies on the BBC. It was very eerie considering what happened, but as the BBC only ever shows highlights of major championships and never covered professional events either now or back then, he had no chance to reflect on his own comments I guess.

vCash
    i see. thank you for this info. i was also wondering if anyone ever asked him what made him think that way during the olys, right after he made that observation. i dont know if it even ever occurred in anyone's minds, even with commentators who were skaters themselves like dick button, peggy flemming and scott hamilton, to think of katia as a solo skater at the peak of her pairsskating career.