Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Parents as coaches are a double-edge sword. Yes, there are negatives, but there are positives too. For one thing, you can probably get as much of their time as you need and they will probably be much more flexible on fees assuming they even charge the guy any at all.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johndockley92 View Post
    David Kirby Is no longer working with Ashley, as he is sticking with Josh instead, strangely. That talent pool is not very strong for her to choose from. Wouldn't be surprised if she found a partner from another country.
    Wasn't she contemplating competing for Australia at one time, as her dad is from there (not sure of her mother)?

Banned Member
    vCash

Talking Ashley competing for Australia

Quote Originally Posted by NarumiAyane View Post
    Wasn't she contemplating competing for Australia at one time, as her dad is from there (not sure of her mother)?
    It's funny to hear that she may compete for Australia. After all they have tons of 6' 190 pound pairs skaters there who have all there triples.

vCash
    Well, maybe as a singles skater she might get some opportunities going that route.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by winterone View Post
    It's funny to hear that she may compete for Australia. After all they have tons of 6' 190 pound pairs skaters there who have all there triples.
    And there is NO funding, you have to fund everything yourself if you compete internationally 😞.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oz_sk8ting_mum View Post
    And there is NO funding, you have to fund everything yourself if you compete internationally í*½í¸ž.
    Is the funding amount significant at all compared to what the athlete's family pays out of pocket? It's not like the US federation completely funds her skating expenses.

vCash
    But does she (or any other high level skater who qualifies for funding as both a single and part of a pair), get double the funding money from USFS?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Doesn't it depend upon how many envelopes the skater is in?
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jjane45 View Post
    Is the funding amount significant at all compared to what the athlete's family pays out of pocket? It's not like the US federation completely funds her skating expenses.
    But the USFS does pay international travel expenses when sending skaters to competitions. Maybe that is a drop in the bucket compared to training expenses, but it seems like that could be pretty signifigant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    But the USFS does pay international travel expenses when sending skaters to competitions. Maybe that is a drop in the bucket compared to training expenses, but it seems like that could be pretty signifigant.
    It also depends on where you're based. Skaters from Australia/New Zealand have to travel far to get to Internationals, so their (unfunded!) travel bills would always be higher than -say- someone in Europe who could even take the train to a smaller B international in a neighboring country.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NarumiAyane View Post
    I don't recall Ashley Cain ever mentioning this publicly as a possibility - does anyone else? Her dad competed for Australia and her mother was an ice dancer in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    But does she (or any other high level skater who qualifies for funding as both a single and part of a pair), get double the funding money from USFS?
    Cain received Team B envelope funding this season for pairs (before her split with Reagan) and was in the Reserve team (no funding) for singles. For the 2012-13 season she would have been eligible for Team C funding (6th place in Senior Pairs) had she and Reagan not split, and she qualifies for Team C funding in singles (2nd place in Junior Ladies). Team envelope funding doesn't cover the majority of skaters' annual expenses, however.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-07-2012 at 06:28 PM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The problem is the the US Fed has to assign skaters to international competition, and if not chosen, the skater/team is SOL.

Not to say that she's planning this, but Cain wouldn't have to move to or travel from Australia to compete for Australia.

In Australia, if a skater/team was willing to pay travel expenses, would the Australian Federation be willing to sign his/her/them up?
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post

Not to say that she's planning this, but Cain wouldn't have to move to or travel from Australia to compete for Australia.
    That's true, but she would have to pay her own travel expenses to Europe/Asia if she was not assigned to events in the US/Canada (and those events would have expenses too, domestic airfare isn't really that cheap, and neither are hotels.). Presumably, she would need to travel to Australia to compete at Australian nationals, to qualify herself for 4CCs/World's. I don't think she is a big enough name that they would hand those to her without competing against the local talent first.

Very true that she could be passed over by the US for events entirely, but as an envelope skater (for singles) she would likely get an event.

Banned Member
    vCash
    That's true, but she would have to pay her own travel expenses to Europe/Asia if she was not assigned to events in the US/Canada (and those events would have expenses too, domestic airfare isn't really that cheap, and neither are hotels.). Presumably, she would need to travel to Australia to compete at Australian nationals, to qualify herself for 4CCs/World's. I don't think she is a big enough name that they would hand those to her without competing against the local talent first.

Very true that she could be passed over by the US for events entirely, but as an envelope skater (for singles) she would likely get an event.
    As an outsider looking in it appears like the whole pairs split caught her by surprize and there is much to think about. This looks like a regroup situation. The fact that she still skates singles makes sense. She is tall and will have limited opportunities as a pairs skater and they know it thus the singles option. I hope the people who are on her team think long term.

vCash

Brooklee Han skates for Australia and lives in the USA. She has to attend a number selections here in Australia at her own expense.

We have the normal fees like everyone else in so far as coaching ect but if you get the oppertunity to go o/s then the Skaters here pay for all their own (and their coaches) travel expenses/accommodation/food if they attend international events, so upward of $6000.00 per event.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I don't recall Ashley Cain ever mentioning this publicly as a possibility - does anyone else? Her dad competed for Australia and her mother was an ice dancer in Canada.
    http://www.goldenskate.com/2010/09/c...ous-and-ready/

Before competing last season, Cain and Reagan were offered the opportunity to compete for her father’s home country of Australia.
    “Last year my aunt (Liz Cain), who still lives in Australia said that they would really like us to skate for Australia,” Cain explained. “We want to skate for the U.S.A., because we feel like we want to skate for our country, not somewhere else. I am part Canadian and part Australian, but I just want to compete for my country. Since there aren’t many pairs teams in Australia, they said that we could be more successful and have more opportunities to compete internationally. I guess that we just want more of a challenge.”

vCash
    Thank you for the link, Stephanie! My feeling is that Ashley Cain was sincere when she said (in September 2010) "I just want to compete for my country" and that she is proud to represent the USA. As others have said, she may have more opportunities later on if she competed singles for Australia, so who knows what the future will bring.

vCash
    I posted this in another thread, but here is Josh Reagan skating with Cait Yankowskas today (3/8).

I went to the Galleria for a Hunger Games Q&A (do not go to that.) and I saw Josh walking around with Cait. They skated a bit together.

This video took forever to upload, so it may still be processing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fFe04cB3gI

Just an FYI, I disabled the audio in the video... there was a lot of talking around me and a lot of people talking to me so I just disabled it. They were getting ready for the Hunger Games Q&A so that's why there's a small stage on the rink.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbfan View Post
    I posted this in another thread, but here is Josh Reagan skating with Cait Yankowskas today (3/8).
    Link to the U.S. Pairs thread in the Trash Can where their practice and video are being discussed (starting with post #741): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=78832&page=38

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Link to the U.S. Pairs thread in the Trash Can where their practice and video are being discussed (starting with post #741): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=78832&page=38
    While the discussion might be there, the Trash Can is really not the place to talk about news and I wish people would stop posting news there, even if there is a thread that seems appropriate.

The Trash Can is for polls and dead horses and threads about past skaters. Current and ongoing information really belongs here, not there.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast