Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Road to London 2012

I thought I will create a new thread dedicated to the preparation of athletes towards the 2012 Olympics. Hopefully, we can discuss sports events that do not already have a thread on the other sports section.

To begin, Isinbayeva is back to form , she broke her own indoor world record at Stockholm event and cleared 5.01 m. Hopefully she will set more world records this year and win her 3rd olympic gold.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Theme for the closing ceremony is A Symphony of British Music
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Prick Admin
    vCash
    That is certainly one area in which they'll be able to better Beijing with ease.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    To be honest I was a bit concerned for the London Olympic games these past years due to the recessions, the wasteful expenses, and some questionable decisions to do with the logos, the mascots etc.

But having driven past the Olympic village yesterday, seen the stadiums all beautifully built and understatedly done, as well as visited the Olympic mall, things are looking surprisingly okay. We might just avoid embarrassing ourselves from the Beijing Yuan Bonfire of the Vanities at last Olympics through our unique creativity, defiance over adversity and sheer grit.

The pre-parties and the post parties are likely to be among the coolest ever for Olympics with plenty of Cool Britannia star wattage everywhere. The arts, fashion, music, media are all among the world leading in London so hopefully the visitors will have a great experience. (And hopefully the transportation system won't let it down, that parts of London is notorious for traffic jams.)

Prick Admin
    vCash
    You really are a ray of sunshine aren't you.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Meet London's oldest Olympian

It has been nearly half a century since Japanese Hiroshi Hoketsu first participated in an Olympic Games. Now, aged 70, he has set his sights on the London Olympics after qualifying as part of Japan's dressage team last week.

Hoketsu, whose first Games were the 1964 Tokyo Olympics in his home country where he competed as a showjumper, will be the oldest Olympian in London. He has already claimed that title for the Beijing 2008 Games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    You really are a ray of sunshine aren't you.
    I think he/she's being super positive and optimistic, in fact.

I mean there is no way that the public transport - which can't cope as it is - is going to cope with all the additional demand.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I mean there is no way that the public transport - which can't cope as it is - is going to cope with all the additional demand.
    Broken Britain!

vCash
    Broken Britain!
    Even if it faces very serious problem in the future, the games will still be declared the best Olympics ever .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    Even if it faces very serious problem in the future, the games will still be declared the best Olympics ever .
    Just ask Athens

vCash
    Broken Britain!
    IT'S THE WRONG KIND OF SNOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Braulio View Post
    Just ask Athens
    That was a roaring success!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Theme for the closing ceremony is A Symphony of British Music
    That should be totally fun! And perhaps a Samba show for the RIO 2016 section of the ceremony?
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    That should be totally fun! And perhaps a Samba show for the RIO 2016 section of the ceremony?
    According to the article, you will get your wish.

The ceremony also will include a Carnival-style segment from the host of the 2016 games, Rio de Janeiro.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I guess US TV will have to blur the thongs.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    I thought Rogge stopped saying that. Here's a quote from an old article (before Athens) - did he start saying it again?

DR ROGGE: Everyone who knows me knows that I will never say, that I pledge solemnly that I will never use the words of my predecessor Juan Antonio Samaranch, who used to be always saying "these were the best ever games". And when the games were fine it was okay, but he was quite embarrassed in Atlanta because he could not say that.

MICHAEL USHER: Well, in a way that's a good thing for Sydney, because forever more they'll be declared the best ever games?

DR ROGGE: Yes, that's - that's correct. As long as I fulfil this mandate. And during my mandate there is no danger that another city will be declared as being the best ever games. My successor, maybe. But not as long as I'm there.

vCash
    Women Beach Volleyball Players Wardrobe Change

No longer have to wear bikinis. The federation is trying to allow for a more modest look for countries/cultures where this is an issue. I'd rather play in short/shirt too. Good change!

Tranquillo
    vCash

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Slight spoiler re opening ceremony

Spoiler

I took out the link because it seemed to ruin the spoiler effect, but you get the idea.

vCash
    Malaysian Shooter will be 8 months pregnant when she competes. I hope to see her on TV. How cool!

Olympian and Pregnant!

vCash
    I am concerned by the amount of US gymnasts who are turning pro just before the start of the games.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast