View Poll Results: Who is the greatest European singles male skater?

Voters
206. You may not vote on this poll
  • John Curry

42 20.39%
  • Robin Cousins

7 3.40%
  • Alexei Yagudin

74 35.92%
  • Evgeni Plushenko

41 19.90%
  • Ilia Kulik

5 2.43%
  • Viktor Petrenko

1 0.49%
  • Stephane Lambiel

27 13.11%
  • Alexei Urmanov

2 0.97%
  • Brian Joubert

4 1.94%
  • Alexander Fadeyev

1 0.49%
  • Josef Sabovcek

0 0%
  • Other

2 0.97%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    How about starting a poll of skaters before 1940? I am not knowledgeable about them; I only know a couple of them. I know there are many knowledgeable folks here.

vCash
    Robin Cousins definitely deserves more votes. Aside from Curry, Robin Cousins is a better skater than all of the rest of the guys on this list put together!!!

Though I voted for Cousins, in general, I'd rate it: Curry, Cousins, Yagudin, Kulik, Lambiel. The other guys on the list are far behind, except for Plushy, WHO OBVIOUSLY IS IN A CLASS BY HIMSELF -- his chutzpah, jumping ability, and utter determination can not be compared. OTOH, Plushy's tendency to rest on his athletic skills to the detriment of developing his artistic abilities is perhaps is one of the reasons why he wants to come back for Sochi 2014.

vCash
    I just copy my post from the "Greatest Lady Skater" :p

The definition of "greatest" may be different of "my favourate". "favourate" can be very subjective. we can even count the uber's number for each skater in this forum to know the final result

For "Great" or "Greatest", JMHO, I think there need to be some consistent and objective standard for each skaters such as titles, record, skills measurement, influence on the sports (this one may be subjective)....

Based on influence, i will vote for John Curry, on medals, i will vote for plushenko, on artistry, I have my favorate although artistry is subjective too......then, what's the definition for "greatest" here?
    Last edited by reflect; 02-25-2012 at 10:03 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Aside from Curry, Robin Cousins is a better skater than all of the rest of the guys on this list put together!!!
    WELL SAID!!!

vCash
    Europe: John Curry
    North America: Dick Button
    Asia: Daisuke Takahashi

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reflect View Post
    I just copy my post from the "Greatest Lady Skater" :p

The definition of "greatest" may be different of "my favourate". "favourate" can be very subjective. we can even count the uber's number for each skater in this forum to know the final result

For "Great" or "Greatest", JMHO, I think there need to be some consistent and objective standard for each skaters such as titles, record, skills measurement, influence on the sports (this one may be subjective)....

Based on influence, i will vote for John Curry, on medals, i will vote for plushenko, on artistry, I have my favorate although artistry is subjective too......then, what's the definition for "greatest" here?
    these polls always mean whatever you want then to.

If we go by your very astute observation of standards: titles+record+skills+influence=greatest, then gilles graftstrum would be ducking it out with ulrick salchow, but they're not even listed as options (other than "other").

Given that yags is winning while plushy and lambiel duke it out for bronze, I'd say most people vote by "I wasn't even born yet in 98, so I'll just vote for my favorite"

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Curry, Cousins, Yagudin, Lambiel, Urmanov, Kulik

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Curry, Cousins, Yagudin, Lambiel, Urmanov, Kulik
    Lambiel was a DREAM when he got it right.
    I still can't get over the fact he never won the Europeans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post

If we go by your very astute observation of standards: titles+record+skills+influence=greatest, then gilles graftstrum would be ducking it out with ulrick salchow, but they're not even listed as options (other than "other").
    I always confused about these polls because the standards seems different for different nominee everytime. as someone has worked in statistics, I prefer a consistent standard (even a partail standard is better for me than inconsistent ones )

But if it is the same poll as "who is your favorite skater", everything make sense and I can understand all of them

agree about ulirich salchow considering his titles+influence. but the poll creator has said what he did is a very different sports and he is not in the list so I didn't mention him.
    Last edited by reflect; 02-25-2012 at 06:49 PM.

vCash
    I voted for Cousins because I would have missed him the most if he hadn't existed, but there are a lot of Greats on that list.

vCash
    To me, Curry's skating was absolutely magical, breathtaking. So while this list has a lot of great skaters, Curry has made the greatest impression on me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    Given that yags is winning while plushy and lambiel duke it out for bronze, I'd say most people vote by "I wasn't even born yet in 98, so I'll just vote for my favorite"
    ^^ This!

Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    ... Cousins because I would have missed him the most if he hadn't existed....
    Absolutely! But then, we wouldn't have known what we were missing... BTW, Paul Wylie and Jeremy Abbott count Robin Cousins as the skater who influenced them the most.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22KM-9VIkQI superb!

Robin's costume resembles what Jeremy is wearing this season for his Swing sp.

ETA: Yes, I agree museks8r re Urmanov. I was remiss in not including Urmanov in my earlier ranking -- re who appeals to me the most . I love Joubert's charisma, but unfortunately he was the greatest European skater who got lost in the mix as the generation of Yags/ Plushy mostly macho with athleticism and a nod to artistry, suddenly gave way to a renewed recognition of the beauty male skaters can wrought with the likes of Weir, Buttle, Savoie on the cusp of old and new, Lambiel, Dai Taka, Abbott, et al.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 02-25-2012 at 09:56 PM.

vCash
    Cousins was a much better all around free skater than Curry. He was just as artistic but his speed, power, personality on ice, jumping quality, basic skating, were all far superior. If they competed in their primes I doubt Curry would have ever beaten Cousins in a free skating program head to head. Curry wasnt even the dominant free skater of his own time, he often lost the free skate to Kovalev, LOL! He won only 1 World title despite unlike Cousins being very strong in figures.

Cranston was more influential than Curry despite that he didnt win a major title. He was also a superior free skater.

vCash
    ^^ ITA with your assessments. I think that Curry himself was greatly influenced by Cranston. I also agree that Curry was not dominant as an eligible skater. His greatest eligible skate was at the 1976 Olympics. After the Olympics, Curry's influence was felt with the professional ice shows he produced and also his professional singles career had a great impact. Cranston was definitely more influential and more brilliant artistically (but I don't think many feel this way, simply b/c Cranston did not win Olympic gold -- in fact, medals should not be the major factor in making assessments).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    The other guys on the list are far behind, except for Plushy, WHO OBVIOUSLY IS IN A CLASS BY HIMSELF -- his chutzpah, jumping ability, and utter determination can not be compared. .
    I wasn't going to post in this thread - too big a call to make IMO - but I had to respond to this.

What in the name of Plushenchrist is chutzpah?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I wasn't going to post in this thread - too big a call to make IMO - but I had to respond to this.

What in the name of Plushenchrist is chutzpah?
    Here is the definition of Chutzpah, from Merriam-Webster dictionary:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/chutzpah

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Cousins was a much better all around free skater than Curry. He was just as artistic but his speed, power, personality on ice, jumping quality, basic skating, were all far superior. If they competed in their primes I doubt Curry would have ever beaten Cousins in a free skating program head to head. Curry wasnt even the dominant free skater of his own time, he often lost the free skate to Kovalev, LOL! He won only 1 World title despite unlike Cousins being very strong in figures.

Cranston was more influential than Curry despite that he didnt win a major title. He was also a superior free skater.
    Robin was a better jumper of course, and in terms of speed a better spinner with superb positions for the most part, although John's were even more refined. However John used speed for artistic reasons and when he wanted to could be just as fast as Robin, but he never felt compelled to skate everything flat out fast because it didn't suit his artistic vision. And to say that Robin's basics were far superior is just laughable. John was hardly scraping his way through gazillions of crossovers out there. It took incredible strength, skill and control of the edges to skate the way John did with such perfect body positions. And just because John lost to Kovalev in some free programs doesn't mean he actually should have lost to him or was outskated by him. Politics were fierce and often the result had nothing to do with what was actually skated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Here is the definition of Chutzpah, from Merriam-Webster dictionary:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/chutzpah

Thankyou!~

I assume the poster meant self-confidence? I find the definition rather confusing.

Although, a synonym is "sauciness". I think we all know that Plushy is quite saucy.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    I don't see Plush as saucy within the definition as I know it, but in my opinion, he is certainly strong willed, determined and has great perserverance. That's quite a combination. I wish him well.

But it's a no-brainer for me-Yagudin, Yagudin, Yagudin. Then Curry, Lambiel, Dai....Yes, I always liked Joubert too, but I think for other reasons than his skating...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Thankyou!~

I assume the poster meant self-confidence? I find the definition rather confusing.

Although, a synonym is "sauciness". I think we all know that Plushy is quite saucy.
    The dictionary lists multiple meanings, so it's hard to tell which one was meant, but based on the context, I am guessing self confidence. I don't think Plushy is saucy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast