Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    From a non-American, what's Alabama got to do with it?
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Alabama is stereotyped to be a kick state full of inbred idiots who wear Confederate flags on a daily basis and run around shooting at random things with guns.

In other words, it has absolutely nothing to do with this story unless you decide to apply said stereotypes.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Thanks for the explanation.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Alabama is stereotyped to be a kick state full of inbred idiots who wear Confederate flags on a daily basis and run around shooting at random things with guns.

In other words, it has absolutely nothing to do with this story unless you decide to apply said stereotypes.
    Well I spent half my childhood and teenage years in Alabama and also have spent many months (all told) there as an adult but I never meant, said nor implied any of what you just wrote.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post

You left out that Alabama is in the South where corporal punishment and more harsh forms of punishment are more social acceptable.

Which I suspect was where the OP was coming from.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Haven't spent much time in Alabama, have you?
    Irrelevant.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    It was a stepmother and she gave birth after her arrest to a new baby that night either in prison or was taken to a hospital for the birth.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...-running-death

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Irrelevant.
    Not really.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    What a devastating story. I agree with Badams that she was probably too scared to stop. I've heard of high school football players dying after being pressured to practice in extreme heat and not wanting to stop because of that peer pressure. In this case, she was probably afraid that she might somehow receive even worse punishment. RIP to this child.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    You left out that Alabama is in the South where corporal punishment and more harsh forms of punishment are more social acceptable.

Which I suspect was where the OP was coming from.
    Yeah, I know I was being a jerk, but it is pretty well known that physical punishment is part and parcel of Southern culture. This horrible story made me think of that viral video of a *Family Court* judge in Texas beating the living sh*t out of his daughter.

IMO, when physical punishment is so ingrained in a cultural area, you have stories like this one.

But yes, I'm biased. I admit that.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Some groups/stereotypes are just more equal than others.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    NM.
    Last edited by mpal2; 02-24-2012 at 01:13 AM.
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

vCash
    Legality of Corporal Punishment in the US

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    So?

If you hear of a homophobic incident occurring in California, do you automatically say it's expected because California voters approved Proposition 8?

The hypocrisy is really something, never ceases to surprise me.

from Speedy Death

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Most stereotypes comes from a place of truth. The harm of stereotypes isn't that they are big lies, but that believing in them universally causes us not to see when they are not true, with varying consequences some of which are benign and some of which are harmful.

For example, it would be harmful if you worked for CPS and you assumed every parent in Alabama was abusive because "that's what people are like in the South." In that case, you aren't allowing for individual differences in parenting style and your assumptions could harm a family because you are in a position of power.

OTOH, it's not harmful if you are a doctor or in some other profession where you need to protect kids to understand what is the norm in your community -- even if it happens to match a stereotype - and adjust your practices accordingly.

Or as some of my AA friends said to me when I attended a picnic with them: "Yes, we are eating fried chicken, watermellon and corn on the cob! And they are delicious!" (They were, too. )

The hypocrisy is really something, never ceases to surprise me.
    Says the person who is constantly stereotyping Northern Californians.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Most stereotypes comes from a place of truth.
    Do racial stereotypes come from a place of truth?

from Speedy Death

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahclear View Post
    IMO, when physical punishment is so ingrained in a cultural area, you have stories like this one.
    But you have stories like this one everywhere .
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    But you have stories like this one everywhere .
    Cruelty/stupidity IS everywhere.

Also, when I was growing up, everyone was spanked as a matter of course but I've never heard a story like this one. Means nothing either way.

I don't spank or use any form of physical punishment, just use time outs or withhold electronic gadgets but most importantly: COMMUNICATE. However, I am not sure if this is effective or the most effective. I do what makes sense to me.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Well I spent half my childhood and teenage years in Alabama and also have spent many months (all told) there as an adult but I never meant, said nor implied any of what you just wrote.
    I certainly thought you did. Your original post was certainly implying something but it was hardly specific.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Do racial stereotypes come from a place of truth?
    Apparently you missed my fried chicken and watermelon picnic story.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast