Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    It's because it was the year after Lipinski retired and won the Olympics. Everybody was thrilled that Michelle was going to continue on to SLC, and then bam NNN has that LP performance at Nationals the year after Nagano - in the same city the next Olympics would be held in (SLC). The country was looking for a replacement for Tara at the time, or should I say the new US skater to go head to head with Michelle.

I remember she was even on Letterman or Jay Leno after those performance, and even the non-skating crowds loved her! She was a total star.

Back to Deanna, thinking back to the 03-06 seasons I really do think she would've been the 3rd US lady (at least) that entire time and been right on par with Michelle and Sasha. Jenny Kirk and Kimmie Meissner (love them both) would've had a really hard time keeping up with her. Her posture, presence, and line with a few more years development could've had her right on par with Michelle and Sasha those years too. What is she up to these days? I think she would make for a beautiful choreographer, she was so good at understanding the music with her body language and tension.
    Yes even Dick Button was saying after her LP that the skating world was waiting for a moment like what NNN did because at the time it looked like no one was going to challenge Michelle Kwan.

vCash
    Michelle Cho!!! We saw the '94 ladies free live, and she was wonderful.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    What about Elizabeth Kwon? Wasn't she rumored to be landing triple Axels in practice at one point?
    I saw her in Phila the yr that she won novice and she was a delight...

vCash
    At one time I thought Ann Patrice, Ye Bin Mok and Jenny Kirk were going to be world medal winners, and that NNN would become an Olympic champion.

vCash
    NNN, Ye Bin Mok and AP McDonnough. I really thought these three were going far when they were jrs. Ye Bin Mok was my favorite.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    For me, personally, she doesn't belong on this list. She didn't set the world on fire as a teenager (though she did make a great impression at 97 Nationals) and IMO slowly grew into a complete, mature skater. She certainly didn't reach her full potential, but it wasn't like she was a shooting star who suddenly fizzled out.

How many times did she skate a gorgeous opening and then double out on everything in the second half? It's a true shame because she developed into a gorgeous skater. She worked with so many famous coaches, it's bizarre that none of them were able to fix her mental issues in the second half of the FP. Whenever I saw her practice she hit every jump, every time.

Oh, and she was robbed of silver at 2001 US Nationals BIG TIME. :p
    I think she does; at least for me. She always seemed thisclose to the brass ring, but her head got in the way. Plus, she seemed dogged by bad luck.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I loved Debbie Thomas and was crushed when she melted down in Calgary, but Chin's career was the biggest :

I think she does belong on the list, because she was only 16 in Sarajevo, of all of the skaters listed, she is the one who could have been among the best World and Olympic champions, more than any other skater who didn't reach her potential.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    A-P Macdonough and Stellato...
    As engaging as NNN was, she didn't display the jumping versatility that was required at the time.

vCash
    I thought it was going to be Sarah Hughes. NNN ran away with the show that year but Hughes got pewter, did very well at Worlds because NNN was age ineligible and Hughes qualified due to junior worlds, and had a 3 loop/3 loop. She didn't have the "phenom" look, but I thought she had potential to be huge. Maybe an Olympic gold medalist shouldn't qualify as someone who didn't become the next great US lady but IMO she didn't.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    What about Angela Nikodinov?
    I don't recall her being hyped as a junior/young teen.

Elizabeth Kwon was hyped a lot around here because she was from here. But I recall her successes being more on the Novice level.

But you can post videos of any young once upon a time up and comer you want here!
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    At the time, I thought "Kirk". She always came across as too fragile, to me.

As a side note, I could picture Kirk backstage after getting beaten by Michelle, going "Kwaaaaaaaan!"

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    At the time, I thought "Kirk".
    In 2000-2001 (with NNN injuries), I thought Hughes was already in her prime quad (which she was), and I thought Hughes and Kwan would retire after that. I thought the 2003-2006 quad was going to be much more of a Jenny vs Sasha rivalry with AP being the spoiler.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    But the difference between Angela and the other skaters is that Angela did fully develop as a skater and fully developed her style - people like NNN, Stellato, Yebin Mok, AP, etc didn't fully develop their style or even get to have the transformation that Angela had. Being a great US lady does involve being a great competitor (and Angela is probably my biggest wouldacouldashoulda of all-time, I loved her so much), but at the same time I'm still thankful the years we did get to see Angela even if she wasn't nailing it(esp 01,02,04). We of those years and seeing how beautiful the other ladies skating COULD become, head-case and competitiveness aside.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    When I saw Nikodinov hit six beautiful triples -- the only one she missed was the 3Lo -- in 1997 (?) in her "Cinderella" program at aged 16, I thought she would be a star skater, and I thought Bobek was gifted with the bronze.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    But the difference between Angela and the other skaters is that Angela did fully develop as a skater and fully developed her style - people like NNN, Stellato, Yebin Mok, AP, etc didn't fully develop their style or even get to have the transformation that Angela had.
    The main reason why Angela needed a transformation is that she didn't really connect to her music or project to the audience when she was younger. I think NNN and Deanna Stellato were already much better at doing that when they just came onto the scene, so I'm not sure how much that aspect of their skating could have improved. I do agree there are aspects that would have gotten better over time (power and ice coverage for NNN, variety of programs for Deanna) that would have been nice to see.

I'm always whenever I see Yebin's programs from 2003. I'm a complete sucker for understated elegance and power and she had both to spare. Plus a Sebestyen-worthy 3lutz.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    When I saw Nikodinov hit six beautiful triples -- the only one she missed was the 3Lo -- in 1997 (?) in her "Cinderella" program at aged 16, I thought she would be a star skater, and I thought Bobek was gifted with the bronze.
    More like Kwan was gifted the silver. She should have been 4th or 5th in the LP that year. Nicole rightfully beat Michelle in the LP (the crowd in fact booed when Kwan came up ahead of Nicole overall), and Angela should have easily as well. I would have had winning the silver overall for sure (which she would have just by beating Nicole in the LP).

vCash
    I thought the next great U.S lady was:

1987: Cindy Bortz. When I saw her destroy the World Juniors field with a triple lutz, I couldnt believe her career went nowhere from there.

1993: Michelle Kwan: Well that turned out correct.

1995: Sydne Vogel: When she unexpectedly outshone Tara to win the U.S juniors I thought she was a major superstar in the making.

I heard alot about Bebe Liang coming up but never saw her skate until she was already sort of established and the expectations had cooled.

vCash
    I remember Elizabeth Kwon winning Novice at Nationals in Philly in 1998 and telling the world she wanted to win TWO Olympic gold medals; however, her Wiki profile says she was forced to retire due to injury. In 1999 she won the pewter division. In 2000, she only placed 14th as a Senior and she withdrew in 2001 and disappeared after that.

This is from a Golden Skate article done 2 years ago about the "Ladies of 2000:"

Elizabeth Kwon, 14th place

Kwon came into the competition after winning the pewter medal on the junior level a year before in Spokane. Much buzz surrounded the twelve year old Kwon as she was rumored to have been practicing and landing the triple axel before the competition in Cleveland. Kwon was unable to live up to the pressure of the senior level, and eventually left skating due to injuries.

“I had lower back problems and pinched nerves and shattered cartilage in my right ankle, so training was rough,” Kwon recently reported. “After I stopped skating, I moved back home to Virginia and went to high school full time. I suddenly had a lot of free time on my hands, but it was nice to be a “normal” teenager!

Kwon graduated from the Miami University of Ohio in May 2009, and is currently in law school in Michigan.

“I didn’t skate at all when I was in high school, but I did skate on and off during my four years at Miami,” Kwon said. “I still had ankle problems because the pinched nerves never healed properly, but even with that, I couldn’t resist not going to the rink! Skating was my stress relief from all the schoolwork and I competed collegiate my sophomore year. Miami has a fantastic figure skating and hockey program, so I definitely took advantage of it. Right now with law school, I don’t find much free time to be able to skate.”

Full article (brings up NNN and several others): http://www.goldenskate.com/2010/01/t...-are-they-now/
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post

I heard alot about Bebe Liang coming up but never saw her skate until she was already sort of established and the expectations had cooled.
    I remember reading reports of Bebe at the 2003 Nationals and thinking she was going to be a spoiler. A silly mistake in the sp cost her, but she came back strong in the free skate with a 3z/3r (first by a US lady). I so wish ABC had shown her free skate since I never got to see it. She never regained any sort of consistency or technical content like that again.

Re: Bortz, a growth spurt really hurt her, but it certainly looked liked she was going to be big. No pun intended.

vCash
    Ye Bin Mok

It's a shame that injuries/growth spurts can end great careers.
    Last edited by demetriosj; 02-29-2012 at 12:00 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast