Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    NNN!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    That's the skate I'll always remember her by. What polish and maturity she had. She's my pick here.

OTOH I never understood how one skate at the 1999 US Nationals would have people talking about NNN her for a decade to come. The performances that Cohen gave at Nationals a year later would better justify that kind of hype IMO. I mean NNN was was promising and exciting to watch because of her spark and energy, but she didn't have the best technique and skated like a cute young kid.
    And Sasha had good technique?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    And Sasha had good technique?
    Her jumps had much better technique than NNN and was overall more polished.

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    Tiffany Chin.

After that heartbreak I stopped predicting "great things" for young ones. Better to just appreciate them at the time and stop worrying about the future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Impromptu View Post
    Tiffany Chin.
    Her 1984 Sarajevo Olympic FS at the age of 16, coached by John Nicks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLAEGPYjEqM

After that heartbreak I stopped predicting "great things" for young ones. Better to just appreciate them at the time and stop worrying about the future.
    Yup.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-24-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Impromptu View Post
    Tiffany Chin.

She had it all, didn't she?

vCash
    Tiffany doesn't really belong in the same category as the ladies already mentioned though. US Champion, 2 time World bronze medalist, World Junior Champion, and 4th place at Olympics (robbed of a medal) are way more impressive than anything NNN, AP, Stellato, etc accomplished. OTOH, she had the goods to become Olympic and World Champion so I agree she did not reach her full potential.

vCash
    Yeah she did have it all.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnie View Post
    Tiffany doesn't really belong in the same category as the ladies already mentioned though. US Champion, 2 time World bronze medalist, World Junior Champion, and 4th place at Olympics (robbed of a medal) are way more impressive than anything NNN, AP, Stellato, etc accomplished. OTOH, she had the goods to become Olympic and World Champion so I agree she did not reach her full potential.
    I purposely left her out (and Bobek, Cadavy, others) because they did win world medals and qualify to Olympic teams. Otherwise, the list would be a lot longer.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    What about Angela Nikodinov?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Deanna Stellato. I'll never quite recover from the disappointment of losing her from skating. She did indeed have everything. such a mature presence on the ice at the age of 16. Could have done so much. Sigh. She's a medical technician of some kind now and is happy and successful, I hear. I'll always miss her.
    I agree.

Out of that crop of girlies, I honestly thought it would be Stellato who was gonna be a star.

Her performance at the Keri Lotion Classic is still one of my faves.

vCash
    NNN!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    What about Angela Nikodinov?
    For me, personally, she doesn't belong on this list. She didn't set the world on fire as a teenager (though she did make a great impression at 97 Nationals) and IMO slowly grew into a complete, mature skater. She certainly didn't reach her full potential, but it wasn't like she was a shooting star who suddenly fizzled out.

How many times did she skate a gorgeous opening and then double out on everything in the second half? It's a true shame because she developed into a gorgeous skater. She worked with so many famous coaches, it's bizarre that none of them were able to fix her mental issues in the second half of the FP. Whenever I saw her practice she hit every jump, every time.

Oh, and she was robbed of silver at 2001 US Nationals BIG TIME. :p

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    I'd like to add two to the list, Katherine Adams (who skated at the 1984 World Junior Championships) and Joanna Ng (who skated at the 1992 World Junior Championships).

Ng skated a fantastic short there placing second to Lisa Ervin, but fell badly in the free skating warm - up and dropped to about 14th or 15th.

Here is her free program from the 1991 US Olympic Festival:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlVbJz0otR4

Adams was a firecracker and you can see a lot of Kristi Yamaguchi in her skating. Not surprising, as her coach was Christy Ness.
    Last edited by essence_of_soy; 02-25-2012 at 12:19 AM.

vCash
    What about Elizabeth Kwon? Wasn't she rumored to be landing triple Axels in practice at one point?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    What about Elizabeth Kwon? Wasn't she rumored to be landing triple Axels in practice at one point?
    Yeah, in one of the Christine Brennan books she was talked up quite a bit. What ever happened to her?

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Deanna Stellato. I'll never quite recover from the disappointment of losing her from skating. She did indeed have everything. such a mature presence on the ice at the age of 16. Could have done so much. Sigh. She's a medical technician of some kind now and is happy and successful, I hear. I'll always miss her.
    Deanna's sudden exit from skating was the main resaon I never uber a junior lady again.

I wish AP and Katy Taylor would stay a little longer, but 4th at nationals was no small feat. Wish Ap would have gotten a 4CC medal though

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I hoped it would be Mok.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    OTOH I never understood how one skate at the 1999 US Nationals would have people talking about NNN her for a decade to come. The performances that Cohen gave at Nationals a year later would better justify that kind of hype IMO. I mean NNN was was promising and exciting to watch because of her spark and energy, but she didn't have the best technique and skated like a cute young kid.
    It's because it was the year after Lipinski retired and won the Olympics. Everybody was thrilled that Michelle was going to continue on to SLC, and then bam NNN has that LP performance at Nationals the year after Nagano - in the same city the next Olympics would be held in (SLC). The country was looking for a replacement for Tara at the time, or should I say the new US skater to go head to head with Michelle.

I remember she was even on Letterman or Jay Leno after those performance, and even the non-skating crowds loved her! She was a total star.

Back to Deanna, thinking back to the 03-06 seasons I really do think she would've been the 3rd US lady (at least) that entire time and been right on par with Michelle and Sasha. Jenny Kirk and Kimmie Meissner (love them both) would've had a really hard time keeping up with her. Her posture, presence, and line with a few more years development could've had her right on par with Michelle and Sasha those years too. What is she up to these days? I think she would make for a beautiful choreographer, she was so good at understanding the music with her body language and tension.

vCash
    I tho't Ann Patrice McDonough, Deanna Stellato & Jenny Kirk would/could have been stars.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast