Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    NNN by far. She had the whole package minus the lutz. Super talented and like others already said, she was oozing with personality and charisma. She just had that "look". Totally agree, I never would have thought in a million years that Sarah, and not Naomi would be the one to make it big.

I wasn't that impressed with Bebe when I first saw her, but I did enjoy her programs 2005-2007, especially her Firedance SP. Unlike the majority of the ladies mentioned in the original post, she had a very long career. A top 10 finish at Worlds during the Mao-Yuna era is nothing to sneeze at.

Jenny Kirk and AP were also very good but I never thought they were World podium material.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Definitely Naomi Nari Nam. I also had high hopes for Ann Patrice McDonough.
    Ditto... I forgot how blissfully fabulous they were... And as Peggy said of NNN..... that ability to dazzle... You either have it or you don't.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnie View Post
    Jenny Kirk and AP were also very good but I never thought they were World podium material.
    World podium material, no, but I'm still surprised AP never made it to Worlds. I remember her from Midwestern Sectionals ages ago, with her mother using half a bottle of hairspray on her bun. "Mom, I think it should hold." "NO! More spray." Yanks her back into the restroom and goes on to spray the remainder of the bottle. I thought it was funny at the time

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I couldn't find her 2004 US Nationals or Junior Worlds programs on youtube (she won silver and bronze, respectively), but here is her FS from her last junior international competition in December 2005 at the JGP Final (4th place): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o6CTR5GlnM
    I loved her smile and energy on the ice.
    I loved Katy. She was overshadowed by Kimmie, but let's not forget she was the first to the 2 to win an ISU Championship (4CC!).
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Deana Stellato could've blossomed into one of the best skaters of all time. It sucks all that much more when she retired, she hit a great stride and then never again. She was a beautiful skater, I think she would've been a World Champion if things hadn't turned out the way they did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym68Lnj0xu0

NNN had the star power but you could see from the get-go she had lots and lots of work to do on jumps. But I definitely liked her the most from all of the could've beens.

cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    I thought Caroline Zhang and Mirai Nagasu would make it very far after seeing them at Junior Worlds 2007.

But well...
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

vCash
    This thread is about retired U.S. ladies, right? As long as Nagasu and Zhang are still competing, there's still hope for them.

10-year-old Ann Patrice McDonough's winning Intermediate national FS (1996): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVNxEWDmJSA

Naomi Nari Nam won the pewter medal that year with a charismatic performance (including fast spins and some cheated jumps, IIRC) but I can't find her FS on youtube.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-23-2012 at 03:29 PM.

vCash
    I've been really impressed by Jenny Kirk when I saw her at her first Trophee Lalique.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Yes, retired only.

I thought NNN would be the next big star.

When NNN was injured in 2000, I thought Jenny would give Sasha a run for her money as the next big thing because of her consistency.

I thought AP would at least make a World team.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    The thing is Naomi Nari Nam grew something like almost 5 inches between the 1999 US and the 2000 Nats. She wasn't the same skater and who know even without the hip injury if she would have become a great skater. Having said that i haven't see a 13 year old ladies skater since who seemed to have it all at such a young age.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    World podium material, no, but I'm still surprised AP never made it to Worlds. I remember her from Midwestern Sectionals ages ago, with her mother using half a bottle of hairspray on her bun. "Mom, I think it should hold." "NO! More spray." Yanks her back into the restroom and goes on to spray the remainder of the bottle. I thought it was funny at the time
    That reminds me of the infamous story of how the mother held her when she was a baby and said, "You WILL skate!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    The thing is Naomi Nari Nam grew something like almost 5 inches between the 1999 US and the 2000 Nats. She wasn't the same skater and who know even without the hip injury if she would have become a great skater. Having said that i haven't see a 13 year old ladies skater since who seemed to have it all at such a young age.
    Why the heck didn't we send Nam to junior worlds in 1999?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    "1999" Junior Worlds was held prior to nationals that year in fall of 1998.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    Because 1999 Junior Worlds took place in November 1998 (USFS held a JW selection competition in September, IIRC?) and 2000 Junior Worlds took place in March 2000.

vCash
    Wasn't Naomi too young for Junior Worlds that season anyway, since she was born July 6, 1985 (so she was a few days shy of 13 as of the previous July 1 [1998]), or did that rule take effect later?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    "1999" Junior Worlds was held prior to nationals that year in fall of 1998.
    I see, thanks for clarifying.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    Wasn't Naomi too young for Junior Worlds that season anyway, since she was born July 6, 1985 (so she was a few days shy of 13 as of the previous July 1 [1998])
    That, too. Nam was the 1997 Novice ladies champ and the 1998 Junior pewter medalist, and would have been invited to the JW selection competition had she been age-eligible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    That, too. Nam was the 1997 Novice ladies champ and the 1998 Junior pewter medalist, and would have been invited to the JW selection competition had she been age-eligible.
    Interesting that she was too young to skate as a junior internationally and chose to skate SENIOR at the US Championships...

vCash
    Deanna Stellato. I'll never quite recover from the disappointment of losing her from skating. She did indeed have everything. such a mature presence on the ice at the age of 16. Could have done so much. Sigh. She's a medical technician of some kind now and is happy and successful, I hear. I'll always miss her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    Deana Stellato could've blossomed into one of the best skaters of all time. It sucks all that much more when she retired, she hit a great stride and then never again. She was a beautiful skater, I think she would've been a World Champion if things hadn't turned out the way they did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym68Lnj0xu0
    That's the skate I'll always remember her by. What polish and maturity she had. She's my pick here.

OTOH I never understood how one skate at the 1999 US Nationals would have people talking about NNN her for a decade to come. The performances that Cohen gave at Nationals a year later would better justify that kind of hype IMO. I mean NNN was was promising and exciting to watch because of her spark and energy, but she didn't have the best technique and skated like a cute young kid.
    Last edited by shine; 02-24-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast