View Poll Results: Ksenia Makarova's options

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Retire

17 16.50%
  • Get a solid 3-3 and her flip and lutz back in hope she will be given another chance

40 38.83%
  • Just be contented at least competing in B Competitions

13 12.62%
  • Revert skating for the US

3 2.91%
  • Get a citizenship in other former soviet countries ( Ukraine, Belarus, Azerbaijan or Kazakhstan )

39 37.86%
  • Switch to Ice Dancing or Pairs

6 5.83%
  • Try out acting and auditions for a Marilyn Monroe role or getting a Chocolate Commercial

11 10.68%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Canada seems like a long shot, since she doesn't have ties to the country and wouldn't be helping a Canadian citizen compete, and she'd need to be granted permanent residency based on being a self-employed World Class athlete and then expedited citizenship. Alexe and Piper Gilles should be able to get Canadian citizenship through their mother, once their mother establishes it through her mother, the girls' grandmother, and Alexe Gilles would add in another skater shooting for limited spots, especially were she to train with someone who could help her gain confidence.

Makarova should be able to compete in Sochi, if her last international competition for Russia is 2012 Euros, since Sochi is more than two years later. She'd need citizenship in another country, though, and to qualify.

If Makarova has US citizenship, or is in the process of getting it now, then the US might be possible, although with a rejuvenated Zhang, it would be tough, even were there to be a third spot for US Ladies.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    We had given up on so many US ladies- Ashley, Alissa, Caroline, Rachael. They all seemed to put it all together at the most recent US nationals. There is no reason to believe that Ksenia will not make any improvements with proper coaching and practice. Did we give up on Caroline and Alissa a few years ago? Rachael is the only one I don't expect to see big improvements from.

vCash
    Alissa from 2007 until today was always the strongest U.S lady if she skated cleanly, which is why she was always had a chance to win in the U.S if skated well. Her spins, spirals, and artistry were superior to everyone else, so she pretty much always controlled her own destiny, she either gave it away or she took it (sometimes even with mistakes she was placed 1st or 2nd, as long as not too many like 2008 or 2010).

The U.S women were extremely weak the past 4-5 years which is why you see so much shuffling in the standings. With Wagner becoming an elite skater, Gold emerging, Zhangs comeback, and Nagasu, Agnes, and Alissa all with huge potential if they put it together, things will not be so easy in the coming years. When Bebe Liang and Emily Hughes were making Worlds, and Czisny was winning Nationals with 3 triples, it would have been a good time for Makarova to try and make it in the U.S. That period has passed.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The main difference is that the US doesn't have Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya, Shelepen, Korobeynikova, Tukhtamisheva, or Biryukova coming up the ranks behind Wagner, Czisny, or Zhang. Many of these Ladies have beaten the US juniors repeatedly, and Tuktamisheva did very well on the GP against the seniors.

It's not that Makarova can't improve, but that the competition for a spot for Russia is more formidable.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I agree she would have more chance in the U.S than in Russia, but she doesnt have a chance in either really IMO. She would be best trying to get citizenship in a smaller Soviet republic or switching disciplines.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I was hoping that when she moved to Russia, she would get stronger instead of regressing It sounded like she was very happy living with or near her grandparents and liked living and training in Russia.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I am assuming that she will improve. That's not so unrealistic, is it? She is only 19.
    Not at all unrealistic. But there are so many countries where she could be the guaranteed "it" girl (like the former USSR countries). Why come here and risk not making the team?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    Not at all unrealistic. But there are so many countries where she could be the guaranteed "it" girl (like the former USSR countries). Why come here and risk not making the team?
    She was just unlucky. During 2007, Russia was going through a major slump in the ladies discipline after Slutskaya and Sokolova retired, whereas Meissner was world champion and skating strong and then there was Zhang and Nagasu rocking Juniors and looking like they were ready to take the world by storm. At that time, it probably seemed right to choose Russia instead of US.

vCash
    Makarova has competed at one Olympics and 2 Worlds for Russia -- how is that "unlucky"? IMO, she made the right choice to compete for Russia and should not have any regrets.

vCash
    ^ Agree with Sylvia. She has had the chance to compete at the Olympics and Worlds, both of which are competitions some skaters can only dream of.

Either way, she has a chance nowhere in the near future (unless the Russian babies all tank). I actually think that she might have a better chance in Russia based on the PCS she received for that awful LP this Russian Nationals, even if the field is slightly weaker in the US. PCS inflation is nowhere as bad in the US as it is in other coutries.

vCash
    She and Leonova were the first women to land 10 triples at the Olympics. Based on skate order, I believe she was the first woman to do this.

That's something to be proud of.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    She and Leonova were the first women to land 10 triples at the Olympics. Based on skate order, I believe she was the first woman to do this.

That's something to be proud of.
    Looking at the protocols for each phase, I see no more than nine for either skater. Of course, a top ten finish with that much jump content (plus COP spins, spirals, and steps) is a big accomplishment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Makarova has competed at one Olympics and 2 Worlds for Russia -- how is that "unlucky"? IMO, she made the right choice to compete for Russia and should not have any regrets.
    Exactly. It was the right decision then, but she was 'unlucky' that about 200 ultra-talented Russian girls suddenly appeared out of nowhere circa 2009-2010 which made her prospects for Sochi that much worse.

In most other countries except US, Japan and Russia she can be a National Champion and go to Worlds for like 12 consecutive seasons (think McCorkell ).

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Too bad she can't skate for George: Gedevanishvilli keeps earning second spots that no one uses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    Looking at the protocols for each phase, I see no more than nine for either skater. Of course, a top ten finish with that much jump content (plus COP spins, spirals, and steps) is a big accomplishment.
    Bummer - you are right, thanks for pointing that out.

So no lady has landed 10 triples at an Olympic games, I guess.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Too bad she can't skate for George: Gedevanishvilli keeps earning second spots that no one uses.
    Can she get Georgia citizenship in the future?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Yeah that would be her best option if she could ever do it. She is also capable of competing vs Gedevanishvilli, they could get a nice little rivalry going and push each other.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Can she get Georgia citizenship in the future?
    Considering that Russian - Georgian political relations have been strained since 2008... probably not a good idea.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I wouldn't say that Cupcake was ignored by the RF between 98 and 02. She failed to make the national podium in those years (finishing 4-6) but she still got 18 international assignments (mostly GP events) and brought home 11 medals. I think the RF started to write her off in 01, when she bombed SA and finished 4th at CoR and RN. She got one GP in 02 (NHK, 6th place) and that might have been it for Sokolova had she not defeated an ailing Slutskaya at the 03 Russian Nats. She won some medals here and there after that, but after bombing in Torino, then losing Russian Nats to Doronina and bombing at Euros and Worlds in 07, I think Piseev retired her.
    "Ignored" or not, the rest of your post is exactly my point Makarova can still hang in there for a few years and maybe get back on track once some of the wonderbabies tank and dissaper (odss are that at least one of them will do that )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Considering that Russian - Georgia political relations have been strained since 2008... probably not a good idea.
    In that case Russia-friendly countries like Ukraine and Belarus may be good choices for her, and they are not that far- distancewise- from Russia. I heard it's easy to get citizenship for Azerbajian (sp?) but it may be a little far away from home for her. I still think she can try for the USA spot, since there could be 3 spots as early as next year, although she will have to improve her jumps a great deal to make the team.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast