View Poll Results: Ksenia Makarova's options

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Retire

17 16.50%
  • Get a solid 3-3 and her flip and lutz back in hope she will be given another chance

40 38.83%
  • Just be contented at least competing in B Competitions

13 12.62%
  • Revert skating for the US

3 2.91%
  • Get a citizenship in other former soviet countries ( Ukraine, Belarus, Azerbaijan or Kazakhstan )

39 37.86%
  • Switch to Ice Dancing or Pairs

6 5.83%
  • Try out acting and auditions for a Marilyn Monroe role or getting a Chocolate Commercial

11 10.68%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    She's only 19. She could still compete at the 2018 Olympics if she switched countries.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    ^

of course she always has that option go to Canada, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Ukraine but the waiting period, can she wait that long enough ??

vCash
    Is the alternative any better? Piseev has no problem dumping skaters who don't deliver. Sokolova, Doronina and the rest of the Crapova sisters, and now Makarova. The writing is already on the wall. At this point she'll be lucky to get B assignments.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    ^

of course she always has that option go to Canada, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Ukraine but the waiting period, can she wait that long enough ??
    At this stage I am not even sure Makarova can take on Phaneuf and Lacoste. if she moved to other, smaller, former Soviet federations, she should be ready to receive the Soldatova treatment on her PCS.

vCash
    I think we all saw how depressed she looked after the long programme at Euros. She probably realized that it was her last chance at a medal at such a major event.

It's quite a shame because her skating is pleasant enough. Saw her live last year at COC and after the really dismal SP, she kind of delivered in the long. I don't think she'll ever land the lutz though! (Such horrific attempts during last season if I am not mistaken)

No point switching country at this stage though because her destiny may be the same as Soldatova otherwise.

I think she should keep competing for Russia, while adjusting her expectations so she'll know that any assignments that she gets will be a bonus. Otherwise, she may like to treat the Worlds in Nice as her last big competition (assuming she's going) and then go to college in the US or something afterwards~~, then (whilst at college) re-assess the situation after all the Russian babies have had their go at Sochi.

vCash
    She needs to get in the gym & get stronger. She always looks like she will break in two.
    I really hope she hangs in there.

vCash
    I would love to Ksenia move back to her old coaches regain all of the muscle she lost and begin to enjoy and love her skating again. She is a lovely girl and she looks like passion and joy have been taken from her. It is so very sad to watch. I wish her happiness in whatever she chooses, but I hope she allows herself a chance to return to the kind of skating she obviously loved. Competing or not she deserves a chance to love her skating again.

vCash
    To Pashfan - look at pictures of her when she was in the US with Petrenko - she had muscle and power and speed - she looks like she went on a "Russian Diet" when she was training there and lost all of her strength - the pictures are worth a thousand words. VERY SAD! She is a lovely and talented skater - it has all been taken from her. Who knows how she would have done against the young power houses - that does not really matter. It is just a shame to see what was done to her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercat View Post
    To Pashfan - look at pictures of her when she was in the US with Petrenko - she had muscle and power and speed - she looks like she went on a "Russian Diet" when she was training there and lost all of her strength - the pictures are worth a thousand words. VERY SAD! She is a lovely and talented skater - it has all been taken from her. Who knows how she would have done against the young power houses - that does not really matter. It is just a shame to see what was done to her.
    The first time I saw her was at the 2010 Europeans.
    Is there any earlier programes of her on Youtube?.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    The first time I saw her was at the 2010 Europeans.
    Is there any earlier programes of her on Youtube?.
    Yes, 2009 International Cup of Nice (her first senior international? she won) are the earliest ones I've seen on youtube. Makarova also competed on the JGP in the fall of 2009 and qualified for the Final, placing 4th.

vCash
    If she still loves skating and wants to continue, I say go on. She's still good enough to survive for years in the elite level (grand prix) without making it to euros/world teams. Look at Ashley Wagner, last time she was a in senior championship was FOUR! seasons ago. Elena Sokolova also was ignored for a whole olympic cycle before resurfacing once the top names of that era retired. So it's still possible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Last word from Piseev was that the Russian Fed will decide after Jr. Worlds. Shelepen's announcement that she was chosen to replace Makarova has been removed from her social media.
    Ah I had missed that turn of events, will be interesting to see what actually happens

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    If she still loves skating and wants to continue, I say go on. She's still good enough to survive for years in the elite level (grand prix) without making it to euros/world teams. Look at Ashley Wagner, last time she was a in senior championship was FOUR! seasons ago. Elena Sokolova also was ignored for a whole olympic cycle before resurfacing once the top names of that era retired. So it's still possible
    I wouldn't say that Cupcake was ignored by the RF between 98 and 02. She failed to make the national podium in those years (finishing 4-6) but she still got 18 international assignments (mostly GP events) and brought home 11 medals. I think the RF started to write her off in 01, when she bombed SA and finished 4th at CoR and RN. She got one GP in 02 (NHK, 6th place) and that might have been it for Sokolova had she not defeated an ailing Slutskaya at the 03 Russian Nats. She won some medals here and there after that, but after bombing in Torino, then losing Russian Nats to Doronina and bombing at Euros and Worlds in 07, I think Piseev retired her.

vCash
    I don't think she should retire. I think if she does better her jumps, she might have a chance. She COULD go back to skating for the US, but I don't know if she's going to have it any easier there than in Russia. Maybe a little easier, since the top US ladies have been quite inconsistent in recent years. If she had a good day, and they had bad days or so-so days, she could probably win US Nats over any of them (Alissa, Ashley - unless she keeps going like she is *crosses fingers*, Mirai, Caroline, Agnes, etc.). However, if they skated well and she bombed, she could get buried in the standings.

vCash
    A question: If Ksenia decides to skate for the US instead of Russia, will she still have to sit out until 2014, and does it mean after the 2014 Olympic season or before it (meaning can she compete at the 2014 US nationals)?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    A question: If Ksenia decides to skate for the US instead of Russia, will she still have to sit out until 2014, and does it mean after the 2014 Olympic season or before it (meaning can she compete at the 2014 US nationals)?
    If she wanted to and qualified, I think she could compete at 2013 U.S. Nationals, she just wouldn't be able to compete internationally for the U.S. The ISU "sit out" rules don't govern national competitions. Some skaters have even competed at 2 different Nationals in the same season (for example, Patrick Myzyk for Canada and Poland last year).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    On one hand, we have people arguing that she couldn't even beat the top two in Canada; on the other, we're moving her to the US?

vCash
    When someone said she would get the Soldatova treament if she switched countries, how is that a bad thing. Maybe it was for Soldatova in a way as she a former World medalist who dropped to the teens. However Makarova was never one of the top skaters in the World, and would be happy to just get to compete at events like Worlds and the Olympics again. Also the Russian federation isnt even powerful anymore so it is unlikely they could inluence her results much, especialy under COP. She probably wouldnt place that high at the World level but she never really did to begin with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    On one hand, we have people arguing that she couldn't even beat the top two in Canada; on the other, we're moving her to the US?
    I am assuming that she will improve. That's not so unrealistic, is it? She is only 19.

vCash
    Moving to the U.S would not be a good idea for Makarova. The U.S has alot of strong girls her age or younger and she isnt currently better than any of them, nor does her long range potential look better. No way she would be making the U.S Sochi team with Wagner, Gold, Zhang, Nagasu, Czisny, and Zawadzki all in her way. An imported Russian who at 19 doesnt even have a triple lutz would get buried amongst that group. Trying for a lesser Soviet republic would be better.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast