Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

US Ice Dance splits

Any recent splits of US Ice dancers?

vCash
    If any current U.S. teams are receiving envelope funding this season, they would be unlikely to announce anything officially until after their final check has been received.

For those teams that competed nationally this season with at least one partner listed on Icepartnersearch.com:
    Lauren Leonesio and Devin Perini (11th in Novice Dance at 2012 Nationals)
    Karen Tong (12th in Novice Dance at 2012 Nationals)
    Julia Biechler (2011 Juvenile champ and 2012 Intermediate silver medalist)
    Caleb Wein (7th in Intermediate Dance at 2012 Jr. Nationals)
    (will check for more teams later)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-22-2012 at 07:55 PM.

vCash
    Tory Patsis is listed on Icepartnersearch.com She skated Novice with Garrett Kling at Mids this year, placing 6th.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    If any current U.S. teams are receiving envelope funding this season, they would be unlikely to announce anything officially until after their final check has been received.

For those teams that competed nationally this season with at least one partner listed on Icepartnersearch.com:
    Lauren Leonesio and Devin Perini (11th in Novice Dance at 2012 Nationals)
    Karen Tong (12th in Novice Dance at 2012 Nationals)
    Julia Biechler (2011 Juvenile champ and 2012 Intermediate silver medalist)
    Caleb Wein (7th in Intermediate Dance at 2012 Jr. Nationals)
    (will check for more teams later)
    The couple I am curious is Lichtman/Copely. Though they had a very strong record in 2012-2011 season (Jr. national chamption, bronze medalits at jr. world), their transition to the Sr circuit has been rocky (10th place finish at nationals 2012).

Though they are both fine skaters, unfortunately Lichtman (5' 6") now is too tall for Copely (5'7"). I understand that they might not announce (if ever) right away due to funding considerations as you stated above. However, if they choose to split, I just wish that they continue skating with suitable partners.

P.S.: Do you think the USFSA refused to release Keiffer Hubbell, so that he can be paired up with a fine US ice dancing lady like, say, Lichtman?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mineko View Post
    P.S.: Do you think the USFSA refused to release Keiffer Hubbell, so that he can be paired up with a fine US ice dancing lady like, say, Lichtman?
    He probably accepted funding from USFS over the years, so they can hold him according to their rules. I guess sort of like a non-compete clause, but it's not forever. I think it ranges from 1-2 years, depending on how much funding the skater got, so it's possible he could have skated for Canada next year or the following year.

It's been years since USFS has hosted any kind of team tryouts, so I doubt they really care who ends up skating with who.

vCash
    Well, I for one, would like to see Keiffer and Charotte pair up, though I still feel really sorry that Keiffer and Vanessa Crone decided to split.

It means we have to think about a suitable lady for Dean Copely, too...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoralReef View Post
    He probably accepted funding from USFS over the years, so they can hold him according to their rules. I guess sort of like a non-compete clause, but it's not forever. I think it ranges from 1-2 years, depending on how much funding the skater got, so it's possible he could have skated for Canada next year or the following year.

It's been years since USFS has hosted any kind of team tryouts, so I doubt they really care who ends up skating with who.
    Maybe they don't care to make the pairings, but on some level, they care who's skating. They have a financial interest, at the very least.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    Maybe they don't care to make the pairings, but on some level, they care who's skating. They have a financial interest, at the very least.
    Well sure, hence the reason why they don't simply release skaters they've given support to over the years. I don't think they make any attempt to pair them with a fellow US skater though (as you might see in another country), just make them fulfill whatever waiting period they've attached to them.
    Last edited by CoralReef; 02-24-2012 at 03:10 AM.

vCash
    I have heard that Lichtman/ Copely will split from a few people.

vCash
    And when does that final check distributed ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoralReef View Post
    Well sure, hence the reason why they don't simply release skaters they've given support to over the years. I don't think they make any attempt to pair them with a fellow US skater though (as you might see in another country), just make them fulfill whatever waiting period they've attached to them.
    True. But I kind of wish they did sometimes. Especially when you get situations like Emily Samuelson and (in pairs) Caitlin Y.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skylarcat View Post
    And when does that final check distributed ?
    End of April.

Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    True. But I kind of wish they did sometimes. Especially when you get situations like Emily Samuelson and (in pairs) Caitlin Y.
    These were the names that popped into my head too.

vCash
    Also on Icepartner Search are female Novice Dancers:
    Hannah Pfeifer skated with Grant Lorello
    Madison George skated with Brad Klefman
    Tory Patsis skated with Garrett Kling

vCash
    Sam Kaplun (previously competed for Ukraine) is listed on IPS - he placed 7th in Junior Dance at Nationals with Amanda Bertsch. He is 21 and so has aged out of ISU Junior events.

ETA:
    Kristin Lench, age 15, coached by Ben Agosto, is newly listed on IPS and she includes a video of an "Ave Maria" show program skated with Jean-Luc Baker in her IPS profile: http://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=3973
    (The video is from the Lakewood Winter Club's "Reflections on Ice" show in February 2012 in Tacoma, Washington.)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-18-2012 at 01:04 AM.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Sylvia;3512382]Sam Kaplun (previously competed for Ukraine) is listed on IPS - he placed 7th in Junior Dance at Nationals with Amanda Bertsch. He is 21 and so has aged out of ISU Junior events.

I'm surprised. I thought they had tons of potential. Didn't they beat Hawayek and partner at Mids? I do remember thinking they were rather icy towards eachother in the Kiss and Cry tho.

vCash
    Can someone please fill me in on what happened with Yang/Baker? I thought that there was some injury last fall or summer, but I hear now that they split?

vCash
    I posted this in the U.S. JGP Assignments discussion thread back in September 2011:
    "It is my understanding that Joylyn Yang's back injury has resulted in her retirement. Yang/Baker's names have been removed from both the Team C envelope and ISP."

ETA: Yang/Baker's split was never officially announced (their IceNetwork profile is not updated with news of a split).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-18-2012 at 02:26 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I posted this in the U.S. JGP Assignments discussion thread back in September 2011:
    "It is my understanding that Joylyn Yang's back injury has resulted in her retirement. Yang/Baker's names have been removed from both the Team C envelope and ISP."

ETA: Yang/Baker's split was never officially announced (their IceNetwork profile is not updated with news of a split).
    And their website has a thank you message.

http://www.yangandbaker.com/YangandB...m/Welcome.html

It is sad that she had to retire.

vCash
    That is really unfortunate. They had a great career and looked to have a great future. I liked their creative programs, and of course the thought of having some great ice dance out of the PNW (which I still can hope for, right? since Baker's parents and Ben Agosto are still there) is exciting. Hoping that Jean-Luc can find a good match. Actually, after seeing this I think that he and Evan Bates could do a real disco exhibition. (On second thought, maybe "Joelyn Zhang" retired upon hearing her name butchered by that announcer.)

I think he's fab.

ETA: Their SD at 2011 Nationals. Who would EVER have thought "Indian music" and "My Favorite Things" would go together? It's a thoroughly, wonderfully bizarre and creative concept. (They got 1st in the Jr SD.)
    Last edited by LilJen; 03-18-2012 at 02:24 PM.

vCash
    Yang/Baker's Jr SD was my favorite last season. I love how creative it was.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast