View Poll Results: Greatest European Ladies Singles Skater Of All Time?

Voters
214. You may not vote on this poll
  • Herma Szabo

1 0.47%
  • Sonja Henie

41 19.16%
  • Cecilia Colledge

6 2.80%
  • Sjoukje Dijkstra

0 0%
  • Gabriele Seyfert

0 0%
  • Anett Pötzsch

0 0%
  • Denise Biellmann

7 3.27%
  • Katarina Witt

71 33.18%
  • Oksana Baiul

9 4.21%
  • Irina Slutskaya

62 28.97%
  • Maria Butyrskaya

8 3.74%
  • Other

9 4.21%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    ....And she knew how to feed those chickens like nobodys business!

For me it was between Slutskaya, Henie, and Witt. Athleticism, longevity, star quality & results.

In the end I voted for Henie, as I feel she best embodies all of those things.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nours View Post
    As usual Surya is blacklisted. Only a five time winner in a row anyway. Let's say, there's quite a difference between what wou can see on you tube and what it was like when you were in the arena ; specially when time flew from there. I understand most of the people here don't like her skating but still, I can't see how she could be erased like this.
    She even disapeared from the most decorated Euro Ladies tables in some of the most popular online skating places. Now the right history is : Slutskaya 7, Witt 6 and... Kostner 4. It's not like it was a surprise though.
    I agree. Bonaly was amazing live. I got to see her a couple of times at the Europeans & she was so fast.
    She was so slated in the 90's. Whenever I heard Sandra Bezic talk about her she would really put the knife in.
    I liked Surya because she was so different. I did not want to see 20 Kerrigan like skaters or 20 Baiul's. They were individual & wonderful in their own right.
    IMO Surya should have won World's in 93' when Kerrigan fell apart & Baiul lacked combinations. But I think Baiul should have won the Europeans in 94'.
    As for the greatest European lady, Im leaning towards Kostner as I enjoy watching her slightly more than Slutskaya who for me was a bit robotic (IMO).
    I love watching Witt on Youtube & she did a lot for the profile of skating.
    Kostner has been on the podium every year since 06'.
    If you take out the years of Slutskaya's & Kostners wins you have 04' Sebestyan winning in her home country, 09' Lapisto winning in her home country & 11' Meier winning in her home country.
    IMO I would have had Kostner winning in 09 & 11.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    ....And she knew how to feed those chickens like nobodys business!
    EYS!

Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    If you take out the years of Slutskaya's & Kostners wins you have 04' Sebestyan winning in her home country, 09' Lapisto winning in her home country & 11' Meier winning in her home country
    Except for those 3 pesky times Maria beat irina, none of which were in Russia...
    Last edited by berthesghost; 02-22-2012 at 04:16 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    EYS!

Except for those 3 pesky times Maria beat irina, none of which were in Russia...
    I'm very pro-Maria. So like a good politician I left her out !.
    Did Irina compete at the Euro's in 99?. I can't remember her there.

vCash
    Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Best competitor would be Witt easily. Most decorated would be Henjie. Slutskaya was probably the best skater though. She also had amazing longevity for the modern era.

vCash
    Surprised Kostner didn't make the list. But Irina I think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Best competitor would be Witt easily. Most decorated would be Henjie. Slutskaya was probably the best skater though. She also had amazing longevity for the modern era.
    I agree with this. I would say Henie was a great competitor too. The sport was different back then, but she won all those gold medals. It's hard to control nerves and they matter even in figures. I picked Irina overall though.

vCash
    Henie had great fast spins, basic positions, but her blur spin was amazing. irina had all of those gumbie spins that picked showing off flexibility over beauty of position, plus she traveled so much I always wanted to slap luggage travel stickers on her.

Henie had great musicality. Irina, not so much IMHO.

Henie came on the scene when women didn't even jump and was one of the first to regularly do them. Irina was born like 30 years after the first triple was landed. I always hated the way she almost came to a complete stop on jump landings.

vCash
    Voted for Irina as I cannot evalu
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Say what you will about Irina but she was a legit threat to win gold at every major event she entered from 2000-2006 (other than perhaps 2004 Worlds just back from a major illness) and a legit threat to atleast medal at every major event she entered in 1996-2006. I doubt very much someone like Witt would have been that strong a factor for so many years in the Michelle Kwan era.

Henjie is hard to compare, she is from a whole different zone altogether. I am sure she was an amazing skater, but there are some horror stories of the kind of politics that went behind some of her wins, ones that would put even the work the Russian and German federations did for Witt and Slutskaya to seem like nothing. Her first World title came with 3 of the 5 judges being from Norway, and she won despite the 2 non Norwegian judges voting for the 5 time defending Champion Herma Plack, and her win created such an uproar that only 1 judge per country was ever allowed in the future. Some have said Maribel Vinson outskated her at times and lost, and most seem to think Cecilia Colledge had surpassed her by the mid 30s but was not allowed by the powers that be to ever win.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    I voted for Henie, not just because of her skating skills, but because of the impact she had on figure skating.

She's inarguably the most successful competitive Lady in Figure Skating history, with 3 Olympic Gold Medals, 10 World Gold Medals, and 6 European Gold Medals.

In addition to that, Henie introduced wearing decorative costumes, particularly ones that dared to *GASP!* show off her legs, as well as being the first skater to wear white boots , changing the style of dress from Mary Poppins clones into Tiffed . She's also the skater who introduced the idea of using dance/choreography in her programs (hmmm….I wonder if she skated to Malaguena, Swan Lake, and Rach2? )

Despite the controversy about her affiliation with Hitler and the Nazi Party, the skating movies she made helped to bring the sport (and the artistic glamor of it) to the mainstream public and create an interest in the figure skating. Without her contributions, there's a good chance we wouldn't now have the costume voids we know and love so much
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

vCash
    Say what you will about Irina but she was a legit threat to win gold at every major event she entered from 2000-2006 (other than perhaps 2004 Worlds just back from a major illness) and a legit threat to atleast medal at every major event she entered in 1996-2006. I doubt very much someone like Witt would have been that strong a factor for so many years in the Michelle Kwan era.

Henjie is hard to compare, she is from a whole different zone altogether. I am sure she was an amazing skater, but there are some horror stories of the kind of politics that went behind some of her wins, ones that would put even the work the Russian and German federations did for Witt and Slutskaya to seem like nothing. Her first World title came with 3 of the 5 judges being from Norway, and she won despite the 2 non Norwegian judges voting for the 5 time defending Champion Herma Plack, and her win created such an uproar that only 1 judge per country was ever allowed in the future. Some have said Maribel Vinson outskated her at times and lost, and most seem to think Cecilia Colledge had surpassed her by the mid 30s but was not allowed by the powers that be to ever win.
    I agree about Henie. I've read some things about her that does IMO put a huge question mark next to her name.
    But about Witt. She was in a different era to Kwan & could only beat the skaters she was up against in the 80's. Also, there were probably things she had to overcome too. Two Olympic gold medals IMO put's her at the top. Slutskaya, Kwan & Kostner do not have that. Baiul does but did not have the long career.
    These day's the European girls struggle at the World's & Olympics.
    Europe have not had a female World Champion since 2005.

vCash
    For me, it's Irina Slutskaya, despite the lack of the Olympic Gold.

I also think Carolina Kostner should have been included in the list.

vCash

Now we're going by gossip?
    Jon Jackson wrote something like irina wouldn't make top 10 at us nats! toller Cranston wrote that Peggy fell in her oly fs (hire a fact checker next time toller!) cupcake gave an interview about how she obviously outskated kwan at 03 worlds and wuz robbed by cheatin judges! and let's not even get started on Sandra and scot at Slc Olys!
    I can't believe a regular poster at fsu is putting stock in "well, people say...." 50 years from now someone will be posting "well the French judge said that Stapleton intimidated her.."

vCash
    Irina got way too much flack for not being polished. She was a dynamic skater, I always wanted to wring her neck when she tried something soft pretty and flowy because it was like she was giving in to her critics. And then I wanted to wring the judges necks for giving her 6.0's. There is still yet to be a skater in the past ten years who had that dynamic spark that Irina had. She never really got a program that did it justice, the one I think that came closest to showing how good Irina could be was this program:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh5bPAKH6oQ

I always rooted for Kwan over her, but she had a dynamic star power that really shined through when she was on and performing to the right programs.
    Last edited by Karpenko; 02-23-2012 at 02:39 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post

Now we're going by gossip?
    Jon Jackson wrote something like irina wouldn't make top 10 at us nats! toller Cranston wrote that Peggy fell in her oly fs (hire a fact checker next time toller!) cupcake gave an interview about how she obviously outskated kwan at 03 worlds and wuz robbed by cheatin judges! and let's not even get started on Sandra and scot at Slc Olys!
    I can't believe a regular poster at fsu is putting stock in "well, people say...." 50 years from now someone will be posting "well the French judge said that Stapleton intimidated her.."
    These arent just solo random people saying crazy things (especialy ones with no credability like jaded former judge Jon Jackson). Many credible people have written and implied the same things on Henjie, some of her wins, and some of the events that transpired.

vCash
    These arent just solo random people saying crazy things (especialy ones with no credability like jaded former judge Jon Jackson). Many credible people have written and implied the same things on Henjie, some of her wins, and some of the events that transpired.
    You are right. It's a fact.
    It's a shame that somebody who achieved what she did on the ice will always have that said about her.

vCash
    IIRC one of those people was Henie's own brother.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Main Offender
    cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    Slutskaya. Love her. Can't stand Witt.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast