Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I don't think any of that assumes he's evil or passing along Evil Genes. Just 'who would want to be Hitler's son?"
    Yes, this. It would be a pretty hard thing to have that in the family.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    As an art history major in college, I had a prof who showed us architectural city paintings by Hitler. His point was that although well done, they had NO PEOPLE in them. Hitler just ignored the one thing the cities were built for. At least, that's what the prof told us. Kind of creepy....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    You're kidding, right?

TESTICLE
    So I think you can say it on FSU. Btw...I did not know this.

I've always wondered if there is a "correct" side to the nature vs nurture debate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    As an art history major in college, I had a prof who showed us architectural city paintings by Hitler. His point was that although well done, they had NO PEOPLE in them. Hitler just ignored the one thing the cities were built for. At least, that's what the prof told us. Kind of creepy....
    I have seen many city paintings with no people in it at all. I don't think they're creepy or disturbing or say anything much about the painters...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Orable View Post
    You don't choose your parents, but you do choose your actions. Mr. Loret fought against the Nazis and even joined the Resistance in France. Based on these articles, he doesn't sound like he was a genocidal warmonger. I mean, yes, it's terrible to be related (or a direct descendant) to the most infamous criminal of the 20th Century, and he sounds like he was depressed about it, but "evil" is not inherited from DNA, you know?
    There is compelling evidence that crime does have a biological component - twin studies, adoption studies and studies on hormones and neurotransmitters have found that there is a genetic predisposition to criminality. And a theory called Evolutionary Neuroandrogenic (ENA) theory identifies twelve biological correlates of criminal behavior.

Of course, crime also has an environmental component, which is arguably strong, but in the extreme cases of Hitler and other psychopaths, I wonder if there isn't something seriously wrong their wiring. Could a loving, happy home have prevented Hilter from becoming Hitler?

If DNA proved that I was his grandchild I'd be horrified and perhaps terrified to procreate. And I don't know if I could accept any of the proceedings from Hitler's book.
    Last edited by Japanfan; 02-22-2012 at 06:48 AM.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    As I like to think, genes are the potential, the environment does the rest. It's a rare person with such whacked-out genes that no supportive and loving environment can fix them, but I bet it does happen. IIRC one of the Columbine shooters was like this.

vCash
    Many historian say it's highly doubtful. But who knows ?

Fearless Musher
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I think that he should had shaved off the mustache.
    This. I don't know when these photos were taken. If it was before Loret knew he might be Hitler's son, the coincidence is weird (except if it was a fashion shared by many at the time). If it was after, why choosing to trim one's facial hair in such a distinctive pattern ??
    "I missed the view and viewed the mist..." ©

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post
    I have seen many city paintings with no people in it at all. I don't think they're creepy or disturbing or say anything much about the painters...
    The point was that none of Hitler's paintings have people in them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    The point was that none of Hitler's paintings have people in them.
    Well, there is one with a man sitting on a bridge. It is assumed to be a self portrait, though. There is an X above the man's head and the letters AH next to it.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Actually there are people in many of his paintings. Holley Colmes' art professor was wrong.

http://acidcow.com/pics/14547-painti...r-15-pics.html

http://dustent.blogspot.com/2011/02/...rustrated.html
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    The architectural paintings are some of the better ones. The perspective is very good. Again, feeling creepy about saying something this evil monster did was good.

vCash
    The architectural paintings are some of the better ones. The perspective is very good. Again, feeling creepy about saying something this evil monster did was good.
    He could have gone another way. He could have been good. He made the choice.

vCash
    I think his paintings look depressing, he had good technique but there is no real happiness there. There are people in some of them but they don't interact or look happy. The buildings are the focus.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    If they are architectural paintings, the buildings are supposed to be the focus.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    It's important to remember that he couldn't have perpetrated everything he did before the invasions and the war without the help of hundreds if not thousands of people. I think the desire to portray Hitler as almost inhuman is motivated by a need to separate him from "us."
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    So I think you can say it on FSU. Btw...I did not know this.
    I was thinking of another word, a la the song, as in "Hitler has only got one..." It has to rhyme with small.

And I think the art professor is being a bit ridiculous. Did he also think Winston Churchill hated cities as he mostly painted landscapes? There's an art show for you, the Churchill versus Hitler watercolor smackdown. (I think the summation is probably "they were both better off going into politics.")

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    I think his paintings look depressing, he had good technique but there is no real happiness there. There are people in some of them but they don't interact or look happy. The buildings are the focus.
    Have you seen environmental design students show their work? It's just like that - there are people to show scale, but they're only portrayed to have rudimentary interaction with each other. The building IS the focus.

I'm quite sure none of them will grow up to dictators that kill millions of people because there are no people in their work.

It is as it always is - nothing is ever black and white when it comes to human beings. I feel quite comfortable in saying that Hitler was a great architectural artist and an evil bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I was thinking of another word, a la the song, as in "Hitler has only got one..." It has to rhyme with small.

And I think the art professor is being a bit ridiculous. Did he also think Winston Churchill hated cities as he mostly painted landscapes? There's an art show for you, the Churchill versus Hitler watercolor smackdown. (I think the summation is probably "they were both better off going into politics.")
    That's what some art scholars do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12