Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 101 to 112 of 112
  1. #101
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,945
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

    BUT, the real question is, even after Le Gougne's marks for S&P and B&S were discarded, didn't that still leave them tied for 1st place, with B&S winning overall on a lower factored placement (since they won the short)?
    So if they had won anyway without the LeGoune marks, what was the second gold medal all about? rhetoric question that is..

  2. #102
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    18,208
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    19005
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I seem to recall the second medal proposal/directive came from the IOC. The ISU had no choice in the matter as the IOC wanted to make the scandal go away quickly.
    According to "The Second Mark", "In the Canadians' formal apeal, which is somewhere in each council member's stack of paperwork [which was the evidence of the ISU investigation to date], Canada has put forth its own solution: a dual gold medal." (p. 267)

    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Le Gougne's marks for Sale/Pelletier and Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze were discarded, but the rest of her marks stood which was to me. Surely all of her marks should have been discarded which may have changed the results for the rest of the teams.
    The ISU council decided three things:

    1. To void her marks for S&P and B&S only.
    2. To award a second gold medal to S&P
    3. To suspend LeGougne and Gailhauguet

    The IOC agreed to the ISU council's solution.

    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I guess so long as Skate Canada and the North American media were happy fairness didn't really come into it.
    The dual gold was Skate Canada's idea of fairness, since they were the ones who proposed it.

    ETA: Or at least as fair as they thought they were going to get, at the time, and considering the future.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 02-29-2012 at 10:44 PM.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

  3. #103
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,012
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Some interesting viewpoints and information I wasn't aware of regarding specific details. All boils down to ISU acting based on the demands of IOC.

    The skaters' performances are what they are, and everyone will continue to have their preferences and perceptions.

  4. #104
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The saddest part of this whole thing for me has always been that Sale and Pelletier retired right after the Olympics. They had only been together for three seasons. Imagine if they lost the gold and kept going for four more years to grab gold in 2006? They still had such potential to grow and develop! (And I actually think the "Orchid" program had flourishes of the direction they were moving in...)

  5. #105

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,526
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4753
    Quote Originally Posted by timmybopper View Post
    The saddest part of this whole thing for me has always been that Sale and Pelletier retired right after the Olympics. They had only been together for three seasons. Imagine if they lost the gold and kept going for four more years to grab gold in 2006? They still had such potential to grow and develop! (And I actually think the "Orchid" program had flourishes of the direction they were moving in...)
    ITA. I thought "Orchid" had the potential to be true masterpiece that exceeded "Love Story" as a signature piece.

    In fact I miss that era of pairs. IMO the current top pairs just don't quite compare to S/P, B/S and S/Z.

  6. #106
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,249
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    I thought that Elena & Anton should have won Worlds in 01' (but none of my friends did).
    I agree.

  7. #107
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    near the rink
    Posts
    1,979
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    i can finally watch these 2 and not get alll wrapped up in it all!!
    i think that s/p lift ad spit twist were far better than b/s the crowd was sure behind them!
    i just thoguht there was a confidence with s/p that was missing with b/s so while they had a more difficult program s/p nailed theirs really what else could they have done?

  8. #108
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    663
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriajh View Post
    i can finally watch these 2 and not get alll wrapped up in it all!!
    i think that s/p lift ad spit twist were far better than b/s the crowd was sure behind them!
    i just thoguht there was a confidence with s/p that was missing with b/s so while they had a more difficult program s/p nailed theirs really what else could they have done?
    You have to remember that Elena & Anton were very close to winning the Gold medal in Nagano. But they made errors. And like Michelle Kwan, I think the mental scarrs of four years before were still there.
    They could not skate with the same freedom that Jamie & David did.
    Elena & Anton saw SLC as their last chance. Jamie & David would have gone another four years if they had to.
    Like you, I can now watch these two couples skate & not get so emotional over what happened but I still have an uneasy feeling over the pro-North American press & how they went about the situation. I really felt sorry for Elena & Anton. I remember watching them on CNN. They looked shell-shocked over the whole thing.

  9. #109

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,366
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    In fact I miss that era of pairs. IMO the current top pairs just don't quite compare to S/P, B/S and S/Z.
    I think today's pairs have to do certain things differently, making this rather an apple-orange comparison. IMO, the top teams at the moment are very good, and S/S at least have skated several unique, memorable programs. I think K/S and P/T have had some good ones, too. I can't get behind what V/T are doing at the moment.

    It's true that there is no top classic Russian team like B/S, but I don't think S/P were doing anything super-special compared to today's pairs. Also, it's worth remembering that S/Z circa 2002 were more of a tech-first pair, with their best performances still in the future.

  10. #110
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    near the rink
    Posts
    1,979
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    You have to remember that Elena & Anton were very close to winning the Gold medal in Nagano. But they made errors. And like Michelle Kwan, I think the mental scarrs of four years before were still there.
    They could not skate with the same freedom that Jamie & David did.
    Elena & Anton saw SLC as their last chance. Jamie & David would have gone another four years if they had to.
    Like you, I can now watch these two couples skate & not get so emotional over what happened but I still have an uneasy feeling over the pro-North American press & how they went about the situation. I really felt sorry for Elena & Anton. I remember watching them on CNN. They looked shell-shocked over the whole thing.
    true
    I watched the initial link which was the Russian feed for s/p and the commentators were SO happy when they realized b/s won! so funny as so different than the scott sandra one- I know find it funny to listen to - anyone have alink for that one?

  11. #111
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    On a ship
    Posts
    899
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriajh View Post
    true
    I watched the initial link which was the Russian feed for s/p and the commentators were SO happy when they realized b/s won! so funny as so different than the scott sandra one- I know find it funny to listen to - anyone have alink for that one?
    NBC version
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRWHwt91oj0
    i have one word for Hamilton and Bazic at this particular event: blah!

    i think you can hear the same russian lady's scream at 8:15 ahah!

  12. #112
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    663
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    . I also much preferred the fitted off-white costumes to the billowy blue/red ones at the O's.

    .
    When you talk about ugly Olympic costumes, these had to be amongst the worst. Its odd because i actually like their looks void this one.

    I was happy that the Russians won but not with the controversy. I think that this was a Moskvina pair that was truly elite and in the same vein as work she's done in the past. I wish that there were a team under her training that were as fabulous as B&S but it looks like Moskvina is taking on less and less, much like Tarasova these day's. Hopefully though, an amazing pair will train with her in the near future. It would be nice to see her do to a pair what John Nicks did for Ashley. I have a soft spot for the old coaches who have mastered their craft. Done rambling...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •