Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    A few more:

Maynard Holmes in Baby Face
    Jean Harlow, Marie Dressler, Wallace Beery, and Hilda Vaughn in Dinner at Eight
    Dan Duryea in The Little Foxes and The Woman in the Window
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    From TV shows/miniseries:

- James Callis (Dr. Gaius Baltar), Michael Hogan (Colonel Saul Tigh), and Tricia Helfer (Number Six) on Battlestar Galactica. They (along with Mary MacDonnell, Edward James Olmos, and Katee Sackhoff in lead roles) were insanely robbed of Emmy nominations during the show's run. I'm still chapped about that.

- Frank John Hughes (SSgt. "Wild Bill" Guarnere), Donnie Wahlberg (2nd Lt. C. Carwood Lipton), Scott Grimes (TSgt. Donald Malarkey) in Band of Brothers. I could include several other actors as the entire cast was amazing, but these three in particular stand out.

- Sara Gilbert (Darlene) on Roseanne. Of the three kids, she was by far the best actor and often upstaged the adults. Also from Roseanne, Laurie Metcalf (Jackie Harris) -- that is, until they turned the character into an OTT, desperate bimbo in the last few seasons.

- Laurie Metcalf (Mary Cooper aka Sheldon's Mom) and Christine Baranski (Beverly Hofstadter aka Leonard's Mom) on The Big Bang Theory. Both women turned these cameo roles into extremely memorable, hilarious characters and made the episodes they're in some of the most popular in the series. Props also to Simon Helberg (Howard Wolowitz), who portayal of the ridiculously nerdy, obsessed-with-sex, Jewish Mama's Boy sends me into giggle fits as I had several guy friends like this in high school and college.

- Ed Asner (Lou Grant), Ted Knight (Ted Baxter), Betty White (Sue Nivens), Gavin MacLeod (Murray Slaughter), Georgia Engel (Georgette Franklin), Valerie Harper (Rhoda Morganstern), and Chloris Leachman (Phyllis Lindstrom) on the Mary Tyler Moore Show. One of the best, if not THE best, ensemble sitcom casts. The chemistry between the actors was incredible, and the combination of the cast and the outstanding writing and directing, made the MTM Show a juggernaut.

- Marla Gibbs (Florence Johnston) on The Jeffersons. No one put George in his place/called George out on his bullshit better than Florence.

- Harry Morgan (Colonel Potter), McLean Stevenson (Colonel Blake), Larry Linville (Frank Burns), David Ogden Stiers (Charles Emerson Winchester III), Loretta Swit (Margaret Houlihan), Gary Burghof (Radar O'Reilly) on M*A*S*H. Another outstanding ensemble cast -- they were the perfect foils for the antics of Hawkeye and Trapper/BJ, and in the latter seasons when the series morphed into The Hawkeye Pierce Show/Hawkeye's Soapbox, they kept M*A*S*H from being completely unwatchable.

- John Ratzenburger (Cliff Clavin) and George Wendt (Norm Petersen) on Cheers

Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    I'll add Patricia Neal in Hud. Melvyn Douglas also.
    I couldn't remember Mildren Natwick's name earlier. I'll add her for Barefoot in the Park.
    I completely forgot about Barefoot in the Park. She was brilliant in that! I also need to add Keenan Wynn and James Whitmore in Kiss Me Kate. Brush Up Your Shakespeare is one of my favourite songs.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    Someone mentioned Thelma Ritter. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0728812/

Thelma Ritter in almost anything she was ever in.

vCash
    ^Ditto for Claude Rains.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Tommy Lee Jones - The Fugitive

Judi Dench - Shakespeare in Love

Christoph Waltz - Inglourious Basterds (I hated the movie, but his performance was unforgettable)

Cantinflas - Around the World in 80 Days (Passepartout)

Tom Hulce - Amadeus

vCash
    The one that I thought of right away is Leonardo DiCaprio in What's Eating Gilbert Grape.
    Team Peeps!

vCash
    I keep adding to my list:

Alan Rickman in Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves
    Denzel Washington in Glory

vCash
    Robin Williams as the Genie in Disney's Aladdin.

vCash
    I'm watching "The Good Wife" right now. I wouldn't even know where to begin as this show is so well cast.

vCash
    Dame May Whitty in Mrs. Miniver

Edna May Oliver in Drums Along the Mohawk

Claude Raines in Casablanca and Notorious

Gladys Cooper in Now, Voyager

and Barbara O'Neil, chewing the scenery to shreds, in All This and Heaven, Too

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    These.

Jessica Walter - Arrested Development
    Henry Winkler - Arrested Development
    Wil Arnett - Arrested Development
    Not that I disagree in any way, but Arrested Development had one of the strongest ensemble casts ever for a sitcom. I can't think of a single weak performance by anyone in any of the episodes.
    And now I need to go start an A.D. marathon.

Now for my supporting cast picks...

Film
    Peter Sarsgaard in Shattered Glass (i don't think this got much publicity, but it's such a solid film and it's on cable all the time these days)
    Jean Hagen in Singin' in the Rain
    Donald O'Connor in Singin' in the Rain
    Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight (I mean...duh)
    Harvey Korman in Blazing Saddles
    Cloris Leachman in Young Frankenstein
    Christian Bale in The Fighter
    Viola Davis in Doubt

TV
    Giancarlo Esposito in Breaking Bad
    The Guy Who Plays Mike in Breaking Bad
    Richard Coyle in Coupling (so pissed he left before the last series)
    Alex Kingston in Doctor Who
    Mary Kay Bergman in South Park (I know it's a cartoon but she was such a gifted voice actress)
    Emma Chambers in the Vicar of Dibley
    Charlie Day in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    Amber Nash (Pam Poovey) on Archer

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    - Sara Gilbert (Darlene) on Roseanne. Of the three kids, she was by far the best actor and often upstaged the adults. Also from Roseanne, Laurie Metcalf (Jackie Harris) -- that is, until they turned the character into an OTT, desperate bimbo in the last few seasons.
    Agree with this. I think Roseanne is generally an underrated show, likely due to Roseanne's off-air antics. All the actors were very good, the writing was sharp, and while much of it was really funny, there was also a lot of positive messaging about families. I'm thinking of the way they took David in for example, and the response when it was revealed that Jackie's boyfriend was beating her.

As for Laurie Metcalf, one of the funniest things I ever saw on a sitcom was after the end credits, she was sitting on the couch polishing her Emmy with Roseanne sitting next to her - hysterical.

If there are awards for casting, I have to agree also that Big Bang Theory should get one, and Frasier before them. Both shows did a brilliant job of defining just the right characters and then finding the perfect actors to play the roles.

vCash
    Alfre Woodard in an LA Law episode as a cancer victim who was raped. Jimmy Smits defended the rapists. She was awesome.

vCash
    Ken Osmond (Eddie Haskell ) on Leave it to Beaver

Marion Lorne and Alice Pearce on Bewitched

Raymond Bailey and Nancy Kulp on The Beverly Hillbillies

Vivian Vance on I Love Lucy

Kate Jackson on Dark Shadows

William Schallert and Jean Byron on The Patty Duke Show

Movies - I so agree about Jean Hagen in Singin in the Rain!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    Not that I disagree in any way, but Arrested Development had one of the strongest ensemble casts ever for a sitcom. I can't think of a single weak performance by anyone in any of the episodes.
    And now I need to go start an A.D. marathon.

Now for my supporting cast picks...

Film
    Peter Sarsgaard in Shattered Glass (i don't think this got much publicity, but it's such a solid film and it's on cable all the time these days)Jean Hagen in Singin' in the Rain
    Donald O'Connor in Singin' in the Rain
    Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight (I mean...duh)
    Harvey Korman in Blazing Saddles
    Cloris Leachman in Young Frankenstein
    Christian Bale in The Fighter
    Viola Davis in Doubt

TV
    Giancarlo Esposito in Breaking Bad
    The Guy Who Plays Mike in Breaking Bad
    Richard Coyle in Coupling (so pissed he left before the last series)
    Alex Kingston in Doctor Who
    Mary Kay Bergman in South Park (I know it's a cartoon but she was such a gifted voice actress)
    Emma Chambers in the Vicar of Dibley
    Charlie Day in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    Amber Nash (Pam Poovey) on Archer
    I've been a subscriber to "The New Republic" off and on for decades and just happened to be on when the scandal broke. I really liked the film and agree with you about Peter Sarsgaard. Why don't these films get better publicity?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    Ken Osmond (Eddie Haskell ) on Leave it to Beaver

Marion Lorne and Alice Pearce on Bewitched

Raymond Bailey and Nancy Kulp on The Beverly Hillbillies

Vivian Vance on I Love Lucy

Kate Jackson on Dark Shadows

William Schallert and Jean Byron on The Patty Duke Show

Movies - I so agree about Jean Hagen in Singin in the Rain!
    Your mentioning the Bewitched actresses reminded me of Paul Lynde, who also appeared from time to time as Samantha's uncle. He was pretty much the same in every role, but I loved him. He did a good turn as a burial plot salesman in Send Me No Flowers, which also reminds me of Tony Randall in the same movie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    I've been a subscriber to "The New Republic" off and on for decades and just happened to be on when the scandal broke. I really liked the film and agree with you about Peter Sarsgaard. Why don't these films get better publicity?
    Probably because it wasn't produced by a Joel Schumacher or a Harvey Weinstein. I only ended up watching it because I was at home from college, bored, vaguely knew about the TNR scandal, and it happened to be on HBO. It's not an explosive film but it's just so well-made that whenever I see it's on these days I almost always sit and watch at least part of it.
    I have never seen Life as a House, but this is the only movie I've seen where Hayden Christensen delivers a good performance. And of course Peter Sarsgaard is quietly awesome.

vCash
    Here's an usual one - Madeline Zima on The Nanny. She started the show as a small child and it took her through early teens. I think the cast of this show was brilliant anyway (special honorable mention also for Daniel Davis as Niles), but Madeline's turn as Gracie really showed how naturally talented she was from a very small age.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Wow, she was one of the kids on The Nanny? I know her for her much more adult role on Californication - the teen seductress who stole Hank Moody's novel and passed it off as her own.

Speaking of, Pamela Adlon as Marcy Runkle on Californication is fantastic. Love her scenes - so much depth of emotion, and so very funny. You wouldn't know that she's also been the voice of Bobby Hill on King of the Hill throughout that series, and is in fact primarily known as a voice actor.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast