engaged to dupa
    vCash

Key West recommendations

My husband is keen on visiting Key West so I want to sort out something as a surprise. Planning on driving, it's about an 8 hour drive, although we may stop for one night along the way. I like traveling back roads and taking it slow and easy. There used to be a vintage airplane shuttle out of Sanford (from the old Naval AS) but I fear they've gone belly up as I can't find any current info about it. That would have been neat but, barring that, drive it is.

I'm thinking a 4 or 5 night stay, somewhere on the quiet end of Duval Street (old town) - within walking distance but not sleeping in the middle of all the action. Would like to spend around $150 a night but could go higher if the place appeals. We like B&B's or small inns - would consider a hotel. Ambiance and character is important. I've looked at B&B's on the web but would like some personal recommendations if anyone has any since, so far, nothing has jumped out at me.

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by milanessa; 02-19-2012 at 01:49 PM.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    The Key Lime Inn. I was there last June. I think the rate was $135.00 per night, but it was summer. It's easy walking distance to Duval, very quiet, and has a parking lot-Rare for the area. Most of the parking is street, and hard to find.

There are several small cottages, but we stayed on the second floor or an old building. Nothing fancy, but clean, quiet, parking, and you can walk anywhere in key West for the most part.

...an acquired taste
    vCash
    I stayed at the Westin, but aside from the prime location, it was so not worth the price. I agree that the town, aside from Duval Street, has character, so I am curious to see what you come up with. Overall, though, I found Key West to be nothing more than drunken daytripping cruiseliners. It would take something special to make me consider going back.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    We went there for New Year's a few years ago and stayed at a B&B above a cigar shop. I'd caution some of those as being noisy depending on where you are and what else is in the building. A more established place is likely to be just that - more established and focused on guest comfort than a place that is renting a few rooms as a side to their main business.

The best attraction was Hemingway's house. Beautifully preserved, good tour guides, nice little gift shop. Even if you aren't a fan of his writing, it's fun to see the lifestyle. But you have to LOVE cats.

The other fun thing was a trip to the Dry Tortugas, and the old fort. Or at least it would have been, had it not been for a nasty storm that had us thinking Gilligan's Island in a big way ("a three hour tour"). I think we were the only people not throwing up (but certainly close - I did think I was going to die at one point), and by the time we got there and the sun came out, everyone just flopped on the beach instead of doing much exploring. So if history interests you, just be sure to check the weather reports first.

Also suggest renting Key Largo ahead of time, just to get in the mood.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I think BYTCH might know of a place that would suit you, but she's at Mardi Gras and god knows when she will recover from her massive hangover resurface. If she doesn't turn up in this thread in a few days, you should PM her.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    If you want to stay someplace more quiet and serene, we stayed two years ago in a 3BR vacation home on the water on Big Pine Key about 30 miles north of Key West. It was an easy drive to Key West from there for a few excursions, and it was close to Bahia Honda State Park which had a nice beach and sea kayak rentals. I also highly recommend a boat trip to the Dry Tortugas. Other interesting excursions are dolphin watching and deep sea fishing. If you are into scuba, there are some great shipwreck dives nearby.

vCash
    Go to tripadvisor.com, they have lots of recommendations and reviews. One of our favorite restaurants was Blue Heaven. Breakfast was really good and the key lime pie great. Had a great massage ( on the street behind Duval) can't remember the name. Ate on the pier at the sunset festival. When I have time I'll try to find the names of some of the places. Loved being able to walk everywhere, but the mopeds and the little electric cars looked fun.