Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 52 of 52
  1. #41
    Spitting Nickels
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,071
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1040
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    ...balletic feminine style skating...
    Wow I hate comments like this one. Must everything be in some gender box like only females can do one kind of thing and only males can do another? Annoying.

  2. #42

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    4,920
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11643
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Learning to be not forgettable is harder than learning a triple axel, if it isn't born in you. There are very, very few skaters who have learned to be memorable, IMO.
    Totally agree.

    Brian Boitano comes to mind as a skater who learned to be unforgettable, having previously been forgettable except for his death drop and 3A. Right this minute I'm drawing a blank as to others. Clearly they were forgettable, because I've forgotten them
    I would say Angela Nikodinov; she always had the potential to be memorable but she still needed the right coach to make it happen.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

  3. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by toddlj View Post
    Wow I hate comments like this one. Must everything be in some gender box like only females can do one kind of thing and only males can do another? Annoying.
    Truth. I don't think skaters like Adam or Josh are feminine at all. Since when does being flexible and elegant make one "feminine"? Come on...


    Also the point I was trying to make was that in figure skating, a lot of "forgettable"/boring skaters can still win big titles. For as good as Jason Brown is, if he doesn't get a 3a and soon, chances are the "forgettable" skaters like Miner, Dornbush, and Farris will be beating him in competition. I know he was able to win the JGPF, but he did so by a small margin and was only able to at all because he skated 2 clean programs while both Yan and Farris had some major boo-boos. Also the international judges don't give him nearly the PCS the US judges do, and give Farris PCS just as high soo yeah. I think if he gets a 3a soon though then the international judges might bump up his PCS significantly, but I think they are holding off until the 3a materializes in competition. I mean Max Aaron beat Jason at JW last year and he's a quintessential jumps focused Tom Zzzz skater.

  4. #44
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    milwaukee
    Posts
    126
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Tim Dolensky Are you serious. GP ??

  5. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by winterone View Post
    Tim Dolensky Are you serious. GP ??
    Let's see how he does at JW first. Maybe he'll be the highest ranked American man there, you never know. Like I said Aaron beat Brown at JW last year, ice is slippery. Has Dolensky ever tried 3a in competition?

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,670
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4440
    I agree about Angela Nikidinov being a skater that learned to be memorable. Definitely

    OTOH, I disagree about Ross and Rachael-both are interesting skaters who sometimes crossover into the memorable and sometimes are amazinly forgettable. In their most memorable moments, both are better live than on TV. I say this having been surprised by both of them in live competition last year at Nationals: Rachael's short was a standout, but her LP was a snooze. Ross was the reverse-his short was just OK, but his LP was great, with an extremely enthusiastic standing ovation by the crowd. This year they reversed-it was Rachael's long that led to a standing ovation at Nationals, and Ross's short at 4CC's.

    Dornbush I found to be a snooze in both his programs last year at Nationals. But it's clear that some others did not find it that way.

    I don't find Farris interesting on streaming video, but I've never seen him live when he was healthy, so I'm reserving judgment.

  7. #47
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    milwaukee
    Posts
    126
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Let's see how he does at JW first. Maybe he'll be the highest ranked American man there, you never know. Like I said Aaron beat Brown at JW last year, ice is slippery. Has Dolensky ever tried 3a in competition?
    Max beat Jason at JW because he is far more athletic and he landed his jumps. By the way Max beat Jason at nationals this year as well. Jason Brown does not have a 3x yet. But Jason does have the support of USFSA. After making three mistakes in the last half of his long program at nationals he still got a 75 in Program Component scores.

    Honestly why are we sending Dolensky?

  8. #48
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,318
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16941
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Has Dolensky ever tried 3a in competition?
    I can't recall if he tried a 3A in the 2011 Broadmoor Open Jumps competition back in June, but he has not attempted 3A in his competition programs this season, AFAIK, though he has worked on the jump.

    Quote Originally Posted by winterone View Post
    Honestly why are we sending Dolensky?
    Because he earned it at Nationals and won a JGP bronze this season.

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,670
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4440
    And because Nathan Chen is still too young to go to Jr. Worlds, AFAIR? And because the boys at Senior Nationals were too old, with the exception of Jason & Joshua. Timothy had the highest finish of a junior eligible boy at Nationals.
    Last edited by DORISPULASKI; 02-24-2012 at 09:24 PM.

  10. #50
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,318
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16941
    Yes, Nathan Chen will turn 13 in May and be ISU Junior age-eligible next season.

  11. #51

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,682
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3742
    I don't find Farris forgettable at all- nor feminine His SP this year, when skated well ( like his GP events and GPF, not the Nationals) is one of my very favorite programs of the year.
    He has yet to have a LP that I loved, but that's less to do with him than with his packaging and choreographers. I think he has great potential to express, he's just not fully tapped into it yet ( I like his new Rachmaninov LP, but it's just too new to feel completely realized).
    For example, here- 2009 JGP SP http://youtu.be/4bN3FxKlcnY - while he is skating to typical "Sing Sing Sing" ( oh, Tom Z., must everybody?)- he shows excellent feeling of rhythmic synchopation- and what was he then- 14 going on 15, I think. Between this and "Clair de Lune"- that's two distinctly different styles where he is paying a lot of attention to music. I hope it develops in the years to come! Add great spins, variety of jumps, good SS- and I like the package.
    Not everybody ( hardly anybody) could be Jason Brown, when already at 15 he had performance magic. Most people come into it much later, even the ones who have it in them.

    Back on topic- I'll keep my fingers crossed that Junior Worlds scores are really HIGH.
    Last edited by dinakt; 02-24-2012 at 10:06 PM.
    improving my ballad- like lines

  12. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by winterone View Post
    Max beat Jason at JW because he is far more athletic and he landed his jumps. By the way Max beat Jason at nationals this year as well. Jason Brown does not have a 3x yet. But Jason does have the support of USFSA. After making three mistakes in the last half of his long program at nationals he still got a 75 in Program Component scores.

    Honestly why are we sending Dolensky?
    Dolensky is going because of all the senior men at Nationals, only Jason and Josh are young enough to go and are already being sent. Chen is too young to go, so Dolensky is next in line. In my opinion though, Warren should have beaten him at nationals, I think he is the stronger skater. He and Dolensky got nearly identical FS scores at nationals but to me Warren's skate was great while Dolensky's was tentative. But Warren did have a mistake in the SP, so I guess the results are alright. Plus Warren did not fair as well as Dolensky on the JGP this season.

    Also regarding Jason, I think I had mentioned this earlier, but all season on the JGP, he and Josh have been receiving very similar PCS. Then at nationals, well I'll disregard the SP because Josh's was messy and Jason went clean, but in the FS where they each made a similar number of errors, Jason's PCS were 75 and Josh's 65. At the JGPF they both got 69, and that was with a clean skate from Jason and a flawed one from Josh. USFS loves Jason, clearly, but I think the international judges are holding out handing him huge components until he starts trying the 3a in competition. Meanwhile, it's pretty obvious Farris is received well internationally considering his monster SP scores put up at his JGPs this season.

    Regarding Aaron, his programs at Nationals were very strong technically, and yet his scores in both the SP and FS were quite near those of Jason's, who had no 3a in the SP (while Max had a 4s!) and no 3a and 3 falls in the FS (while Max was cleaner and attempted a quad and two 3as). So it's just different internationally. If Jason beats Josh at JW, I am fairly certain it will be because Josh will have made a bunch of silly mistakes. If Josh skates well, I am fairly certain he will place ahead of Jason.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •