Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

2012-13 U.S. Team Envelopes & International Selection Pool (ISP)

For those interested, here's my UNOFFICIAL compilation of U.S. Team A, B and C envelope skaters/teams for the 2012-13 season based on the published criteria (with Junior Worlds and Worlds to go) at: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/2...elopes-so-far/

USFS' 2012-13 International Selection Pool (ISP) eventually should include "all Team A, B and C [Senior/Junior] age-eligible athletes and any other athletes being considered for an international competition." The ISP athletes list usually is published online sometime after the current season ends (it was published in late March last year).

vCash
    Thanks for the list! Potentially a big bummer for Max Aaron, Angela Wang, Zhang/Bartholomay, and Samuelson/Gilles, the 8th place finishers from Nationals. Max missed a medal at Nebelhorn by 3 points, Angela wasn't sent out internationally after missing Nationals in a very tough section last year but tremendous in her FS at Nationals (now get a better SP please!), Z/B were great in their FS at Nationals, don't think I saw S/G but they are promising also. Hopefully at least these skaters are named to the Reserve team and get some assignments next season, or even better, this spring!

vCash
    It's possible that the following criterion could be applied to any of the 8th place finishers mentioned above:
    Consideration to place the athletes in Team C - Tier 1 will be given for senior level skaters placing lower at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships where the event was very strong or the results were very close.

vCash
    2 new envelope criteria listed under "Additional Considerations":

Consideration will be given to place a 2010 Olympic medalist into Team A or Team B at the discretion of the ICMS. These athletes must have retained their eligible status and must be committed to competing in the current and/or following competitive season.

Any athlete(s) who medal in the Junior or Senior levels at a spring international will be awarded ASUPP funding equal to 10% of the total amount of Team C - Tier 2 funding of the current season.

vCash
    The Lysacek clause?
    Consideration will be given to place a 2010 Olympic medalist into Team A or Team B

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    The Lysacek clause?
    I seem to recall there being an Abbott / Czisny clause. The National champ was not guaranteed Team A. He/she/they also had to place above a certain level in certain ISU events. Maybe that was a temporary rule.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    The National champ was not guaranteed Team A. He/she/they also had to place above a certain level in certain ISU events.
    Not quite. This season (2011-12) there are 2 "tiers" per envelope (A-C) and 2011 national champs Alissa Czisny and Meryl Davis/Charlie White automatically qualified for Team A Tier 2 and then were bumped up to Team A Tier 1 (the highest level of envelope funding) by placing in the top 10 at 2011 Worlds (Davis/White and the Shibutanis also automatically qualified for A-1 by medalling at 2011 Worlds). It's not spelled out in the 2012-13 team envelope criteria re. A-1 vs. A-2, but I am assuming the same things may apply to the 2012 National champions competing at Worlds.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-21-2012 at 01:21 AM.

vCash
    Sylvia:

Thank you for starting this thread. It is very educational to me. I do have a lot of questions, and I am hoping that well-informed posters here further enlighten me.

1. What is the amount of funding for each envelop/tier?

2. Are the funding differ according to disciplines (singles vs. pairs/ice skaters)?

3. How the USFS determine which skater(s) to assign to which international event(s)?

4. Are there any way non-funded, non-enveloped skater(s) able to participate in international comp(s)?
    (disclosure) I'm a huge fun of Samuelson/Gilles, and I am desperately trying to find ways to have them more opportunities.

Again, thank you in advance.

vCash
    I found this article from 1999 that talks about the funding which was very little at that time. It was like 6,000 for singles in the Top Envelope and 9000 for pairs/dance. http://www.cbssports.com/u/ce/multi/..._10946,00.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mineko View Post
    How the USFS determine which skater(s) to assign to which international event(s)?
    Normally Senior B and JGP assignments are based primarily on most recent Nationals results. Grand Prix assignments are based on ISU World Standings rankings and Season Best scores; USFS chooses their own skaters for Skate America, including host picks.

Are there any way non-funded, non-enveloped skater(s) able to participate in international comp(s)?
    Yes. Any skater chosen for an international assignment who is not in the A-C funded envelopes will be added to the Reserve team (unfunded) and they will receive some funding if they medal.

(disclosure) I'm a huge fun of Samuelson/Gilles, and I am desperately trying to find ways to have them more opportunities.
    As was mentioned earlier in this thread, it's possible that some or all of the 8th place finishers at 2012 Nationals could be added to the C-1 envelope... we'll just have to wait and see. Samuelson/Gilles are likely candidates for a Senior B assignment if they compete well at the Lake Placid dance comp. later this summer, for example.

vCash
    ^^ Thank you.
    The 1999 article also informs me just how little funding and support skaters receive. It's a somber reality.
    Last edited by mineko; 02-23-2012 at 07:18 PM.

vCash
    Any news about the ISP for this season yet?

vCash
    Athletes who have been named to the 2012-2013 ISP have already been notified but the list has not been made public by USFS yet.

http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=447

vCash
    I've updated my unofficial, projected team envelopes compilation with the officially known team splits (ETA) as of April 10 -- link in post #1.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-10-2012 at 09:07 PM.

vCash
    2012-13 International Selection Pool is up http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=447

LADIES
    Kiri Baga S10
    Mariah Bell J5
    Ashley Cain J2
    Samantha Cesario SWD
    Alissa Czisny S2
    McKinzie Daniels S13
    Polina Edmunds J6
    Rachael Flatt S6
    Christina Gao S5
    Gracie Gold J1
    Jenelle Herman J8
    Courtney Hicks SWD
    Nina Jiang S11
    Leah Keiser S12
    Katarina Kulgeyko J9
    Vanessa Lam S9
    Barbie Long J4
    Hannah Miller J3
    Mirai Nagasu S7
    Gwendolyn Prescott J7
    Yasmin Siraj S15
    Ashley Wagner S1
    Angela Wang S8
    Agnes Zawadzki S3
    Caroline Zhang S4

MEN
    Max Aaron S8
    Jeremy Abbott S1
    Jason Brown S9
    Stephen Carriere S6
    Jonathan Cassar S11
    Nathan Chen J1
    Harrison Choate J4
    Timothy Dolensky J2
    Richard Dornbush S13
    Scott Dyer S10
    Joshua Farris S16
    Grant Hochstein S12
    Spencer Howe N3
    Alexander Johnson S15
    Lukas Kaugars J5
    Evan Lysacek
    Armin Mahbanoozadeh S4
    Keegan Messing S7
    Ross Miner S3
    Brandon Mroz S14
    Shotaro Omori PSectional 5
    Douglas Razzano S5
    Adam Rippon S2
    James Schetelich N2
    Kevin Shum N4
    Troy Tomasello J8
    David Wang J11
    Philip Warren J3
    Johnny Weir-Voronov
    Jay Yostanto J7

PAIRS
    Madeline Aaron & Max Settlage J6
    Jessica Noelle Calalang & Zack Sidhu J4
    Marissa Castelli & Simon Shnapir S5
    Brianna de la Mora & Taylor Wilson J8
    Caydee Denney & John Coughlin S1
    Haven Denney & Brandon Frazier J1
    Gretchen Donlan & Andrew Speroff S4
    Kylie Duarte & Colin Grafton J3
    Audrey Goldberg & Joseph Dolkiewicz J10
    Mary Beth Marley & Rockne Brubaker S2
    Olivia Oltmanns & Joshua Santillan J9
    Jessica Pfund & AJ Reiss J5
    Britney Simpson & Matthew Blackmer J2
    Tiffany Vise & Don Baldwin S9
    Christina Zaitsev & Ernie Stevens N4
    Felicia Zhang & Nathan Bartholomay S8

ICE DANCING
    Alexandra Aldridge & Daniel Eaton J1
    Amanda Bertsch & Semen Kaplun J7
    Anastasia Cannuscio & Colin McManus S6
    Madison Chock & Evan Bates S5
    Meryl Davis & Charlie White S1
    Kaitlin Hawayek & Michael Bramante J6
    Madeline Heritage & Nathaniel Fast J5
    Madison Hubbell & Zach Donohue S3
    Lynn Kriengkrairut & Logan Giulietti-Schmitt S4
    Charlotte Lichtman & Dean Copely S10
    Lorraine McNamara & Quinn Carpenter J3
    Whitney Miller & Kyle MacMillan N2
    Holly Moore & Daniel Klaber N1
    Rachel Parsons & Michael Parsons J4
    Elliana Pogrebinsky & Ross Gudis J8
    Hannah Rosinski & Jacob Jaffe N3
    Emily Samuelson & Todd Gilles S8
    Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani S2
    Last edited by sammyf; 04-26-2012 at 06:10 AM.

vCash
    From this it seems Andrea Poapst/Christopher Knierim S7 split
    I wish Belt/Johnson would have been added for their great score at YOG.

vCash
    Yes, Poapst/Knierim have split even though they currently are still listed in the 2011-12 Team C envelope on the USFS site.

Caitlin Belt/Michael Johnson hopefully can and will be added to the ISP if they compete well this summer.

ETA: I'm glad to see Shotaro Omori was included in the ISP - he didn't qualify for Nationals but the Pacific Coast Sectional Junior Men's field was very deep/competitive this season.

ETA #2: I've extracted the JGP age-eligible skaters/teams if anyone would like to discussion them here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...14#post3556714
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-26-2012 at 05:46 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyf View Post
    2012-13 International Selection Pool is up http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=447

Johnny Weir-Voronov
    Awww! Is this how he'll be announced as now?

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyf View Post
    From this it seems Andrea Poapst/Christopher Knierim S7 split
    Nooooooo!

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Yes, Poapst/Knierim have split

Any news on whether either or both of them will continue skating?
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    I see that Joelle Forte isn't listed even though Siraj, who finished below her at nationals (while injured), is. I wonder if Forte has retired or if it's merely that Siraj was included since she's JGP-eligible and has good past results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast