Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Braulio View Post
    In fact he won 3 bronze medals: 1 with Kuchiki in 1991, 2 with Meno (95-96) and one silver in 1998

Didn´t know he was born in Denmark
    He wasn't, and I didn't say he was. He was born in Burbank, Calif.

Quote Originally Posted by dewey View Post
    Didn't Rena Inoue complete for Japan as a singles skater?
    Yes, but she was born in Japan to Japanese parents, had Japanese citizenship, and had lived in Japan her whole life at that point. She didn't start skating for the U.S. until later, and she now holds U.S. citizenship.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 02-15-2012 at 06:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    From Euros:

Ladies
    Karina Johnson (DEN)
    Karina's dad is American and her mom is Danish, though they live in the US. She should be born with dual citizenship.

vCash
    Caitlin Mallory competed for the U.S. up until the 2006-2007 season (finishing 7th at nationals with Brent Holdburg), before partnering with Kristian Rand and competing for Estonia through 2010 (17th at Worlds.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Tamar Katz is from Dallas but skated for Israel.
    Katz was born in Dallas but, as she herself posted on FSU years ago: "I am Israeli, my family lives in Israel, including my parents. My parents are government employees of Israel."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Katz was born in Dallas but, as she herself posted on FSU years ago: "I am Israeli, my family lives in Israel, including my parents. My parents are government employees of Israel."
    Obviously I missed that one. Thanks, Sylvia.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Here are some other random, mostly fairly obscure skaters I can think of who competed in U.S. qualifying competitions and later competed for/in another country (at least nationally) in recent years. I don't know where they all were born.

Katherine (Katharina) Hadford (HUN)
    Alexandra (Zsa Zsa) Riordan (POL)
    Jane (Zhenni) Ruan (CHN)
    Maria Papas (Papasotiriou) (GRE)
    Nicole Rajic (Rajicova) (SVK)
    Ibuki Mori (JPN)
    Sasha Lanser, Stephanie Rigley, Charlotte Robbins, Dane Carter, Tashe Smith (GBR)
    Alexander Strupinski (POL) (I think)
    Victoria (Viktoria) Chiappa (HUN) (along with her sister Chelsea)
    Pierre Balian (ARM)
    Egor (Igor) Matsipura (Macypura) (SVK)
    Jessica Crenshaw (GRE in pairs with Chad Tsagris)
    Jenna Syken (ISR)
    Mark Vaillant (FRA)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    As has been mentioned, a lot of other skaters from the U.S. compete under foreign flags at Four Continents (and other competitions). We also seem to do pretty well at exporting female ice dancers.

Here are a few others, past and present, who haven't been mentioned. This is hardly an exhaustive list:

Susanna Driano (Italy) -- She won a bronze medal at Worlds.
    Bryce Davison (Canada) -- He was born in the United States but has always skated for Canada.
    Christopher Caluza (Philippines)
    Alice Sue Claeys (Belgium)
    Jennifer Goolsbee (Germany) -- ice dance
    Kyoko Ina (Japan) -- She was born in Japan but was raised in the U.S. and learned to skate here and competed for both countries.
    Daisuke Murakami (Japan) -- He too was born in Japan but was raised in the U.S. and learned to skate here and has competed for both countries.
    Kristen Fraser (Azerbaijan) -- ice dance
    Todd Sand (Denmark) -- He was born in the U.S., skated singles for Denmark, and then represented the U.S. in pairs, winning several medals at Worlds.
    Alison Reed (Georgia) -- ice dance
    Various ice dance partners of Deividas Stagniūnas (Lithuania) -- He has competed internationally with Kayla Nicole Frey, Katherine Copely, and Isabella Tobias
    And perhaps the most successful of them all: Dianne de Leeuw, the 1975 World Champion, 1976 Olympic silver medallist and European Champion. Represented the Netherlands but was born and raised in California, had the dual citizenship...

ETA Oops Berthesghost had already mentioned her...sorry!
    Last edited by matti; 02-15-2012 at 10:14 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Here are a few others, past and present, who haven't been mentioned. This is hardly an exhaustive list:
    Alice Sue Claeys (Belgium)
    Alice went back to doing Regionals and Sectionals in the US and made it back to Nationals several times in the late 90's after she stopped competing for Belgium. I think she's one of the few skaters who went back to competing for the US -or at least trying to since I don't remember if she got any international assignments.

vCash
    Elektra Hetman from New York represents France in ice dancing. Elektra and Benn have been selected to represent France at the Junior World Championships. Congratulations hard work and perservance does pay off

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Alice went back to doing Regionals and Sectionals in the US and made it back to Nationals several times in the late 90's after she stopped competing for Belgium. I think she's one of the few skaters who went back to competing for the US -or at least trying to since I don't remember if she got any international assignments.
    Darya Zuravicky was born in the U.S. and competed for Israel in the early '90s, and later switched back to skating a regionals/sectionals in the U.S. (I assume she probably competed in the U.S. when she was younger).

Viktor Pfeifer briefly switched from competing for Austria to competing in U.S. qualifying competitions but did not qualify for Nationals, and later switched back to Austria (so that's not quite fitting with the topic but is an example of a skater switching countries and then switching back).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    Darya Zuravicky was born in the U.S. and competed for Israel in the early '90s, and later switched back to skating a regionals/sectionals in the U.S. (I assume she probably competed in the U.S. when she was younger).

Viktor Pfeifer briefly switched from competing for Austria to competing in U.S. qualifying competitions but did not qualify for Nationals, and later switched back to Austria (so that's not quite fitting with the topic but is an example of a skater switching countries and then switching back).
    Joelle Forte - US/Azerbaijan/US - and having some success with it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sk8 View Post
    Joelle Forte - US/Azerbaijan/US - and having some success with it
    Well, except for the Azerbaijan phase.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Who was it (fairly recent) who competed for Puerto Rico a few seasons and then came back? That wasn't also Forte, was it? Or am I just nuts?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Well, except for the Azerbaijan phase.
    yes, I meant the return to the US part!

vCash
    I think Rohene Ward represented Puerto Rico at some point. Megan Williams-Stewart skated for Puerto Rico for a season or two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    Karina's dad is American and her mom is Danish, though they live in the US. She should be born with dual citizenship.

However, Denmark does not permit dual citizenship except in a very few exceptional cases. I don't know all the details, but essentially children born abroad to a Danish parent have Danish citizenship until they are 22. At that point if they want to retain their citizenship, they have to have lived or been in Denmark for a total of at least a year and show other connections including language skills. I think they'd probably also have to give up their other citizenship. Which is probably why Todd Sand did not continue to represent Denmark. Johnson will turn 22 next year, so she probably will have to make decision soon if she wants to continue to skate internationally.

vCash
    There are a million names that come to mind. How bout Georgia Glastris?

vCash
    Didn't Galit Chait skate at US Nationals before she teamed with Sakhnovski?

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TwizzlerS View Post
    Didn't Galit Chait skate at US Nationals before she teamed with Sakhnovski?
    I forget if it was 1992 or 1994, but she skated with Maxim Sevastianov (who himself had won silver at junior worlds in 1988 with Irina Antsiferova).

Dirke O'Brien Baker skated for the US, coming fourth in the junior ladies event before transferring to New Zealand in 2001.

vCash
    Patricia Neske was born and lived in the United States, but actually did train in Germany - not sure if that necessarily counts.

Perhaps Lily Lyoonjung Lee (KOR), Charlene von Saher (GBR) and Yvonne Gomez (ESP) count as well?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast