Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash

Representing the People's Republic of California...

Can you think of any skaters from the United States who represent other countries?

So far I can think of Melissa Bulanhagui who will be skating for the Philippines.

vCash
    Dianne deleuu - from ca to nd

Cathy and Chris reed - from nj to jp

Those are the only successful ones I can think of.

The reeds sister skates pairs for ukrain.
    Sydney Vogel skipped ship, to Germany iirc.
    Trifun zagfunavichific switched to arzabaphanouffan or somewhere.

vCash
    Piper Gilles, in Canada.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Kaitlyn Weaver competes in dance for Canada as well.

Define "from America"? Those that were born her? Or those that moved here very early in childhood and consider an American city their home town?

Watching 4CC this past weekend, it seemed a near majority of those not in the top 12 were from the United States. Primarily California, but elsewhere as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    Can you think of any skaters from the United States who represent other countries?
    You run a web site for Brooklee Han - does she count? http://www.aussieskates.com/brooklee/

She was born in America, competed in the US Figure Skating qualifying system through the Intermediate National level, and started representing Australia at the Junior level in 2010-11. She splits her training time between Connecticut and Melbourne, but the interview on her site doesn't specify how much time she spends training in Australia each year. I assume at least one of her parents is Australian-born or has citizenship?

Han seems typical of many skaters who are representing countries in which they do not live or spend the majority of their time. Many of the skaters competing at Four Continents who were born and/or live in the USA or Canada but represent another country at least have a direct family/ancestral connection to the countries they represent.

vCash
    Bryna Oi recently competed at Japanese Nationals in dance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    You run a web site for Brooklee Han - does she count? http://www.aussieskates.com/brooklee/

She was born in America, competed in the US Figure Skating qualifying system through the Intermediate National level, and started representing Australia at the Junior level in 2010-11. She splits her training time between Connecticut and Melbourne, but the interview on her site doesn't specify how much time she spends training in Australia each year. I assume at least one of her parents is Australian-born or has citizenship?

Han seems typical of many skaters who are representing countries in which they do not live or spend the majority of their time. Many of the skaters competing at Four Continents who were born and/or live in the USA or Canada but represent another country at least have a direct family/ancestral connection to the countries they represent.
    Also, I believe Cheltzie Lee's mother is American, but Lee was born in Australia and has lived there for her entire life. She's trained from time to time with the coach, Cathy Kasey in the U.S, specifically to learn new jumps.

The dance champions, O'Brien and Merriman train most of the year in Michigan with Anjelika Krylova and Pasquale Camerlengo, too. They've made tremendous improvements in their technical content this year.

Another example is Ksenia Makarova skating first for the U.S (her birth place)., then Russia (her parents' birth place).

It really is a global sport, that's for sure.
    Last edited by essence_of_soy; 02-15-2012 at 03:42 PM.

vCash
    What about Sylvia Fontana?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    Don't know much about Fontana, but I believe Susan Driano was from the US and skated for Italy in the 1970s.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    She was born in the US to Italian parents and grew up in Rome. I wouldn't include her since she actually lived in the country she represented.
    Last edited by Nomad; 02-15-2012 at 04:09 PM.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Another example is Ksenia Makarova skating first for the U.S (her birth place)., then Russia (her parents' birth place).
    Ksenia Makarova was born in Russa (St. Petersburg). http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00011176.htm

In a quick scan through, the following skaters from 4CC were born in the U.S. but represented other countries:

Men
    Christopher Caluza (PHI)
    Maverick Eguia (PHI)

Ladies
    Victoria Muniz (PUR)
    Melinda Wang (TPE)
    Melanie Swang (THA)
    Crystal Kiang (TPE)
    Mericien Venzon (PHI)
    Chaochih Liu (TPE)
    Brittany Lau (SIN)

Dance
    Kaitlyn Weaver (CAN)
    Corenne Bruhns (MEX)
    Cortney Mansour (KAZ)

From Euros:

Ladies
    Karina Johnson (DEN)
    Chelsea Rose Chiappa (HUN)
    Georgia Glastris (GRE)

Pairs
    Danielle Montalbano (ISR)

Vanessa James was born in Canada, but competed in the U.S. for a while, then for Great Britain, and now France.

Dance
    Siobhan Heekin-Canedy (UKR)

vCash
    As has been mentioned, a lot of other skaters from the U.S. compete under foreign flags at Four Continents (and other competitions). We also seem to do pretty well at exporting female ice dancers.

Here are a few others, past and present, who haven't been mentioned. This is hardly an exhaustive list:

Susanna Driano (Italy) -- She won a bronze medal at Worlds.
    Bryce Davison (Canada) -- He was born in the United States but has always skated for Canada.
    Christopher Caluza (Philippines)
    Alice Sue Claeys (Belgium)
    Jennifer Goolsbee (Germany) -- ice dance
    Kyoko Ina (Japan) -- She was born in Japan but was raised in the U.S. and learned to skate here and competed for both countries.
    Daisuke Murakami (Japan) -- He too was born in Japan but was raised in the U.S. and learned to skate here and has competed for both countries.
    Kristen Fraser (Azerbaijan) -- ice dance
    Todd Sand (Denmark) -- He was born in the U.S., skated singles for Denmark, and then represented the U.S. in pairs, winning several medals at Worlds.
    Allison Reed (Georgia) -- ice dance
    Various ice dance partners of Deividas Stagniūnas (Lithuania) -- He has competed internationally with Kayla Nicole Frey, Katherine Copely, and Isabella Tobias
    Maxim Zavozin (Hungary) -- He was born in Russia, came to the U.S. as a boy, represented the U.S. in ice dance at the 2006 Winter Olympics, and later represented Hungary.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 02-16-2012 at 01:48 AM. Reason: To add in Zavozin

vCash
    [QUOTE=RFOS;3485781]Ksenia Makarova was born in Russa (St. Petersburg). http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00011176.htm(/QUOTE)

Thanks for the heads up.

Was it because Selezneva and Makarov coached in the States that allowed Ksenia to compete there?

vCash
    Corenne Bruhns' ice dance partner, Ryan Van Natten, was also born in the USA and he previously competed at 2011 US Nationals in Senior Dance (14th). Christopher Caluza (PHI) competed at US Nationals twice - 8th in Junior in 2010 and 19th in Senior in 2011. Chaochih Liu (TPE) competed at 2007 US Nationals in Junior (11th).

ETA: allezfred's post below reminded me that Daisuke Murakami probably has had the most successful record at US Nationals/representing the US internationally in recent times -- 2004 Novice silver medalist, 2004 Triglav Trophy Novice gold medalist, 2006 Junior pewter medalist, 2006 JGP bronze medalist, 2006 Junior Worlds (11th) and 2007 Senior National men's competitor (15th) -- before he switched to Japan (where he was born).

Was it because Selezneva and Makarov coached in the States that allowed Ksenia to compete there?
    Yes. Makarova qualified for US Nationals at the lower levels and her high point was 7th in Novice at 2007 US Nationals. Her wiki says she and her family moved to the US when she was 8 years old.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-15-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Daisuke Takahashi (Japan) -- He too was born in Japan but was raised in the U.S. and learned to skate here and has competed for both countries.
    I'm sure Daisuke Takahashi will be surprised to find out he was representing the U.S.

Perhaps you are referring to Daisuke Murakami?
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    Ladies
    Victoria Muniz (PUR)
    Melinda Wang (TPE)
    Melanie Swang (THA)
    Crystal Kiang (TPE)
    Mericien Venzon (PHI)
    Chaochih Liu (TPE)
    Brittany Lau (SIN)
    Also Sandra Kohpon (THA)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Todd Sand (Denmark) -- He was born in the U.S., skated singles for Denmark, and then represented the U.S. in pairs, winning a bronze medal at Worlds.
    In fact he won 3 bronze medals: 1 with Kuchiki in 1991, 2 with Meno (95-96) and one silver in 1998

Didn´t know he was born in Denmark

vCash
    Didn't Rena Inoue complete for Japan as a singles skater?

vCash
    Adriana Desanctis represents Canada

vCash
    Tamar Katz is from Dallas but skated for Israel
    Siobhan Heekin-Canedy skates for the Ukraine
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast