vCash

"uplifting" theme for sochi

the OG being all about dreams and inspiration, maybe the ISU should continue/reinstate this "uplifting" theme for the sochi games, especially for ice dance. that way, they can minimize OTT dramatic and voidy programs that they so wanted to avoid this season. who knows, the top teams might FINALLY do a disco program maybe that will also level the field since the games are being held in russia--ground zero to everything dramatic and voidy.

vCash
    Artur Gachinski, Kavguti/Smirnov, Tuktemysheva, ANY Russian ice dancer doing disco?

cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    since when has Russia been "Ground Zero to everything dramatic and voidy"?
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moka-Ananas View Post
    since i think the 80s?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
    since i think the 80s?
    That was 30 years ago. 'Nuff said.

vCash
    You say continue or reinstate it, are they getting rid of it or thinking of it? Personally I hate the 'uplifting rule'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    That was 30 years ago. 'Nuff said.
    i said SINCE, not IN the 80s. that's a pretty long time to be known of something.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sequins View Post
    You say continue or reinstate it, are they getting rid of it or thinking of it? Personally I hate the 'uplifting rule'.
    no word if ISU is rethinking or anything. just my thoughts.

cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    since i think the 80s?
    just to give one example: I thought Khokhlova/Novitski were quite voidy in 2007/2008

and there were so many other Russian skaters before them who were voidy :>
    Last edited by Moka-Ananas; 02-17-2012 at 03:08 AM.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

vCash
    the OG being all about dreams and inspiration, maybe the ISU should continue/reinstate this "uplifting" theme for the sochi games, especially for ice dance. that way, they can minimize OTT dramatic and voidy programs that they so wanted to avoid this season. who knows, the top teams might FINALLY do a disco program maybe that will also level the field since the games are being held in russia--ground zero to everything dramatic and voidy.
    Level the playing field ?, well al the host had host advantage why not Russia, who are hosting their first winter Olympics. If at all there is host advantage in FS, then Russia should get it as well. To say we need level playing field when events are held in Russia is actually a unfair as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moka-Ananas View Post
    Ever since the NA press said so?

I don't think Russia is as dramatic and voidy as some think they are. The European skaters, particularly the French have been just as voidy and/or dramatic.

I hope the ISU does away with the uplifting rule as well. I can count on one hand and have a couple of fingers left over the number of FD's I really love and would watch over and over again post season. Most IMO aren't that memorable, just elements strung together. I really don't think being uplifting has done anything for icedance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Ovsiannikov View Post
    Ever since the NA press said so?

I don't think Russia is as dramatic and voidy as some think they are. The European skaters, particularly the French have been just as voidy and/or dramatic.

I hope the ISU does away with the uplifting rule as well. I can count on one hand and have a couple of fingers left over the number of FD's I really love and would watch over and over again post season. Most IMO aren't that memorable, just elements strung together. I really don't think being uplifting has done anything for icedance.
    who else has been consistently dramatic and voidy among its top teams across a long period of time? the french may be voidy, but not as consistently dramatic as the russians. even russia's skaters in other disciplines tend to be dramatic and voidy as well.

vCash
    who else has been consistently dramatic and voidy among its top teams across a long period of time? the french may be voidy, but not as consistently dramatic as the russians. even russia's skaters in other disciplines tend to be dramatic and voidy as well.
    I say bring on the dramatic, theatrical and voidy! I dislike the goody goody uplifting music and "Feel good" routines. Here's hoping Sochi is not tempted to go this route. Carmina Burana forever!