Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

2010 Olympic Ice Dance Results

Anyone wonder what would have happened if Albena Denkova & Maxim Staviski ,Oksana Domnina & Maxim Shabalin and Isabelle Delobel & Olivier Schoenfelder were able to compete at their best and what the outcome would be

vCash
    Domnina & Shabalin were never going to win an Olympic Gold medal in Canada.
    The hate towards them grew as Vancouver got closer.
    The controversy over their OD was used as a stick to beat them with.
    I would have had three different couples on top during each stage of the competition.

vCash
    If Domshabs had been at their fall 2007 level they could have challeged IMHO

vCash
    D&S were told about their FD offending people of a country that is NOT Canada when they first came out with it, IIRC. They were offered the services of others to help them make it more authentic but they declined. That's what all the brou-ha-ha was about. Add to that fact was Maxim was skating while injured and it hampered some of their skating - especially in the FD.

There are many here, myself included, who felt they were actually gifted with the medal they did win.

I think that the battle for gold would likely have been between D/S and D/S with V/M getting bronze.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    D&S were told about their FD offending people of a country that is NOT Canada when they first came out with it, IIRC. They were offered the services of others to help them make it more authentic but they declined. That's what all the brou-ha-ha was about. Add to that fact was Maxim was skating while injured and it hampered some of their skating - especially in the FD.

There are many here, myself included, who felt they were actually gifted with the medal they did win.

I think that the battle for gold would likely have been between D/S and D/S with V/M getting bronze.
    Don't agree that they were gifted their bronze medal.
    Did you mean OD not FD?.
    They were perfectly entitled to skate to the OD they did. I'm of mixed race & would find nothing offensive over an ice dance programe. Because that's all it is.
    I agree that at the Europeans they chose the wrong costumes but people would not let them move on from it. It overshadowed them in Vancouver.
    Delobel & Schoenfelder also were undermarked. Belbin & Agosto had easier programes yet were held up IMO.

vCash
    Michelle Kwan?

vCash
    I thought Delobel/Schoenfelders free dance was special. It held my attention right to the end.
    Faella/Scalli were better than that free dance. They should have gone for a more upbeat programe, but their skating skills are very strong.
    Some of my favourite ice dance programes of recent years have been from Belbin/Agosto but this was a very weak dance. Slow & nothing new.
    So for me Del/Sch were the best of them.
    The Kerrs made errors on their twizzles but I would still have had them 4th in the free.

vCash
    Denkova/Stavisky were long retired at the time of Vancouver, I kinda don't get the point of putting them in this thread/question

IMO if it hadn't been for the injury and pregnancy, Isabelle and Olivier would've been entering Vancouver Games as reigning world champions and probably they would've won gold or silver. Tessa and Scott would've been their main rivals. Meryl and Charlie would've probably won bronze, unless someone tried really hard to avoid a Russia-free podium.
    Last edited by mia joy; 01-18-2012 at 04:53 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    Denkova/Stavisky were long retired at the time of Vancouver, I kinda don't get the point of putting them in this thread/question

IMO if it wasn't for the injury and pregnancy, Isabelle and Olivier would've been entering Vancouver Games as reigning world champions and probably they would've won gold or silver. Tessa and Scott would've been their main rivals. Meryl and Charlie would've probably won bronze, unless someone tried really hard to avoid a Russia-free podium.
    Isabelle and Olivier should have gone to the Europeans first. They really needed a big competition to try to get ready. Shame.
    IMO they would have won the Worlds in 2009 if they had been there.
    Their free dance that season was wonderful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    IMO they would have won the Worlds in 2009 if they had been there.
    Their free dance that season was wonderful.
    yeah that's what I meant. Reigning world champions in 2010 would've meant they won Worlds 2009 Their Pink Floyd was a pearl, I agree.

But they had no chance on going to Europeans in 2010. She gave birth in October. I still find it very admirable that they managed to actually go to Vancouver.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post

IMO if it hadn't been for the injury and pregnancy, Isabelle and Olivier would've been entering Vancouver Games as reigning world champions and probably they would've won gold or silver. Tessa and Scott would've been their main rivals. Meryl and Charlie would've probably won bronze, unless someone tried really hard to avoid a Russia-free podium.
    Denkova/Stavisk only retired because of the incident. and i think they would have competed thru 2010

cheers

vCash
    This is what Denkova/Staviski said after they won their second Worlds

"We enjoy performing in shows and in competitions. We can not say for 100 percent yet now (whether they will retire). It is a difficult step to make. Competitions are too much stress when you fight for the podium. We want to have a private life."

Her partner added, "This is the brilliant end for us. I want to thank our competitors, Marie-France and Patrice. They are a strong team and if they weren’t, we wouldn’t be as strong. Now, I want to have a rest. But Albena’s President of the Bulgarian Skating Federation. She decides. I’m just a skater."
    Link.

I don't think they ever really had any intention of competing.

If we ask what if DomShabs and DelSchoes were healthy, can we also add what if Virtue/Moir were healthy in 2009 (and 2010)?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    If we ask what if DomShabs and DelSchoes were healthy, can we also add what if Virtue/Moir were healthy in 2009 (and 2010)?
    Interesting. I'd say all three teams would've been on the 2009 worlds podium. The placements would have depended on who did better on that particular day (and yes, on politics too). But I think gold would've gone to either DelSchoes or V/M.

In 2010, again DelSchoes vs V/M for gold, with Meryl and Charlie coming in third and DomShabs in fourth.

However, Isabelle and Olivier did tend to have weaker days every now and then at the end of their career. If one of those had happened during a major competition, they might've as well finished in 3rd or 4th in both competitions.

vCash
    Yeah, it's a great what if scenario....

Presumably, if DomShabs were healthy, they win 2008 right?

vCash
    I think in that scenario the podium in Vancouver is Virtue & Moir, Delobel & Schoenfelder, and Domnina & Shabalin in some order, all 3 as possible contenders for gold or silver. Since Virtue & Moir were on home ice and skated beautifully they still would have been very hard to beat. Denkova & Stayviski would have been past their best by 2010 which is why they wisely retired after 2007. 2006 should have been their year to win a silver or gold but they had bad luck at the Games. I guess Davis & White and Denkova & Stayviski could still have been outside contenders for bronze but no more IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    Michelle Kwan?
    Either that or purple.

vCash
    The idea that being healthy/not healthy would have made much difference is amusing to me.

It's obvious from looking at the protocols that the judges were just handing out predetermined PCS regardless if they were warranted (B&A and F&S getting 9.50+ scores for their CD, DomShabs getting higher SS,TR,CH than DelSchoes in the OD and FD, B&A skating in side by side and hand to hand position for almost the entirety of their OD and not being punished for it,etc.)

I could go on for paragraphs about the dance event, but I don't feel like it. But I agree with the sentiment that V&M were not being beaten in Vancouver.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    The idea that being healthy/not healthy would have made much difference is amusing to me.
    In the case of Isabelle and Olivier, the difference was huge. They were shadows of themselves in Vancouver. They might've been slightly undermarked, but they surely weren't anywhere near their best. So yeah, it would've made a difference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post

It's obvious from looking at the protocols that the judges were just handing out predetermined PCS regardless if they were warranted (B&A and F&S getting 9.50+ scores for their CD, DomShabs getting higher SS,TR,CH than DelSchoes in the OD and FD, B&A skating in side by side and hand to hand position for almost the entirety of their OD and not being punished for it,etc.)

I could go on for paragraphs about the dance event, but I don't feel like it. But I agree with the sentiment that V&M were not being beaten in Vancouver.
    I agree.
    I sat through the entire ice dance event & just felt like it became a parade rather than an actual competition.
    There were some very strange scores in the event.
    But before the Olympics started I did not see D/W & V/M as the top two.
    I was quite shocked as to how far ahead in the marking they were.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast