Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Best and Worst Presents You've Received?

What are the best, or the worst, presents you've ever received? Due to the date, you can focus on Valentines days if you want, but feel free to also include birthday, holiday, random gifts, etc...

My husband, before we got married, gave me a first-aid kit. I suppose that was the "worst". It's certainly the funniest.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    When my sister and I were kids, my uncle gave us underwear for Christmas. That was probably the worst.

Another Christmas, my other uncle gave us these watch-rings that were too big and clunky to even wear. Both my uncles were terrible gift-givers, when they even remembered to give us gifts.

Best . . . I don't know, I've gotten a lot of good presents. I'd have to take some time and make a pretty long list! My most recent favorite present was a rock that my little goddaughter gave me. I've told the story elsewhere on the board, I think. It was a "pretty rock," in her words (gray with white stripes), and she really wanted to keep it for herself, but she made the sacrifice and gave it to me, which made it special.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    My sister gave me a card promising me to take me out to the Dakota jazz club. 3 years later and she still hasn't gotten around to it soooo...at least it was a nice card, I guess.

My favorite "worst gift" that wasn't for me was the shop vac my dad gave my mom for mother's day one year. He wanted that shop vac so much for himself he bought it as a gift for her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    My favorite "worst gift" that wasn't for me was the shop vac my dad gave my mom for mother's day one year. He wanted that shop vac so much for himself he bought it as a gift for her.
    I probably would have made an arrangement after that gift - you buy me what you really want, and I'll buy you what I really want.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    My husband once bought me a sweater, size M kids. It fit me ok at the time, but 3 kids/c-sections later...not as good. To this day he STILL whines that I never wear that damn sweater! Not only was this 10 years ago, but COME ON!!!!
    Team Peeps!

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    A yearly calendar for the current year at Christmas time, when there would only be a week left of use of it. And it was a freebie from Paralyzed vets as well.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

Just me
    vCash
    The best gift was a turntable like this:

http://www.crosleyradio.com/Product.aspx?pid=1795

that I can play my childhood 78's on.

The worst year for gifts was the Christmas I received kitchen gadgets and appliances from everyone!
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    My grandmother once got me size xxxl sweatpants for Christmas. I wore a small. She included a note that she didn't want them to be "too small" for me now that I was "at the age where you gain weight". I was 20.

When I was 15, in band and taking piano lessons, she got me a used "magical musical thing" toy.

And I have vivid memories of getting one of those freebie paper coloring books with four pictures for my 6th birthday from her. My brother, at the same time, was given cash and two new books and some records. For my birthday. On my 18th birthday, I got $5 from her and my brother got $20. He was kind of embarrassed about it by then.

Resident Rude Brazilian
    vCash
    My Grandma and her friends always gave me soap, toothpaste, cheap chocolate, whenever the occasion required a gift. Yeah, those were the worst

Never been much of a material person (mom is the type that only shows love with things instead of actions, so I went the other way), so I can't really remember a present, from anyone, that I loved... it was just... things.

vCash
    My sister got a highly unusual gift for her baby shower. Her husband's older aunt proudly proclaimed, "I wanted to get something for the mother because they're often forgotten in all the attention of the baby." Then asked my sister to open the gift first since she (the aunt) had to leave the shower early.

My sister opened the wrapped present to reveal an economy sized box of feminine napkins!
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    I think my favorite bad gift was a set of tools - hammer, two screwdrivers, and a pair of plyers - with floral print handles. Who says tools can't be pretty?
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Alissa Fan Forever
    vCash
    The best gift I've ever recieved was a beagle puppy. She's 10 years old now.

The worst gift I can ever get is clothes of any kind. They are put in the salvation army box within the month. I pick out my own clothes.

vCash
    For our university newspaper Christmas party everyone was supposed to bring a gift and then we numbered the gifts and picked numbers. My gift turned out to be a piece of tree bark that the gift giver literally picked up from the ground on the way into the party as he had forgotten the gift exchange. The editor gave him hell for it but I didn't care.

vCash
    One time my aunt gave me a gift certificate that was a week away from expiring and it was for a steakhouse. I'm a vegetarian.

Best gift was the car my parents got me for graduation. I still drive it and I'm hoping as long I take good care of it I'll still get a few more years out of it. Toyotas FTW

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    The first Christmas we were together, Sweets gave me a knife. Seven years later, I might appreciate a functional present, but on that day I felt like stabbing Sweets with it.

One year, my mom - notoriously hard to buy for - asked me to get her a scale for Mother's Day because her old one had broken. I had a really, really hard time with that one. In the end, I did it, but bought the nicest scale I could find. She was overjoyed. It has since become a fond memory, and I try to aspire to be more like my mom in that way.

vCash
    I can't narrow down the best gift I've ever received, because I've been very fortunate over the years (Although, my grandma did buy my brother and I a puppy 13 years ago!).

The worst, however, was a set of towels from my other grandmother. They were pink and flowered. I was 11 years old. Sigh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruss View Post
    My sister got a highly unusual gift for her baby shower. Her husband's older aunt proudly proclaimed, "I wanted to get something for the mother because they're often forgotten in all the attention of the baby." Then asked my sister to open the gift first since she (the aunt) had to leave the shower early.

My sister opened the wrapped present to reveal an economy sized box of feminine napkins!
    Well, actually....from what I hear about what happens immediately after the baby is born....your sister probably needed them....(those who have given birth feel free to correct me)

vCash
    My brother bought a girlfriend a bagel toaster for Valentine's Day once and didn't understand why she was not thrilled about it. Exact quote when he asked me why this didn't go over well, "She likes bagels".

My husband bought me floor mats for my car for a b-day gift the first year we were dating. His sister had tried to talk him out of it to no avail. He has done better since then. He still buys things for my car, but he does not give them to me as gifts.

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    My sister's boyfriend (years ago) was debating as to what to get her for Valentine's Day.

A Coffee Maker, or Roses. He actually got it right and gave her 2 dozen long stem roses!

Best "gift" to me was the gift of time together.

My brother and his wife were financially struggling at Christmas, and their girls were older so, they got them each one larger usefull gift (Drawing table for one, musical instrument for the other), but no other physical gifts were exchanged. We go three family games to play, and made a real gingerbread house (which their dog Bear had for a snack ). It was the best Christmas ever and that ended up being our tradition from then on. We do a potluck and just give each other the gift of spending time together.
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    My grandmother once got me size xxxl sweatpants for Christmas. I wore a small. She included a note that she didn't want them to be "too small" for me now that I was "at the age where you gain weight". I was 20.

When I was 15, in band and taking piano lessons, she got me a used "magical musical thing" toy.

And I have vivid memories of getting one of those freebie paper coloring books with four pictures for my 6th birthday from her. My brother, at the same time, was given cash and two new books and some records. For my birthday. On my 18th birthday, I got $5 from her and my brother got $20. He was kind of embarrassed about it by then.
    This is mind-blowing. I think my jaw actually dropped.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast