Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Madonna's new song

Madonna's video for "Give Me All Your Luvin".

Um...I don't know. It sounds so generic. The song feels like it could be from any of today's wannabes. What do you guys think?

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    It is horrible. I was thinking about it earlier and Madonna doesn't have the best or strongest voice but she used to do material in her prime that allowed her to use her voice to its potential. Think about any of her classic songs. She may not sing with a large range or anything but she puts all she has into the vocals and there is "oopmh" behind them. Then listen to this. It sounds like it belongs on KidzBopz or whatever the hell that is called. It sounds like she doesn't give a damn at all and is just chanting along to the melody.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    the song and the video reminded me of something gwen stefani would have made for a b side in 2004
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    No one needs talent these days to have a hit. She's never had much anyway - why not go along with the flow to continue to get herself the publicity to which she's been addicted for years?
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    I like it. I just watched the video with a friend, and we both thought it was fun. It didn't feel very 2012, definitely reminded me of the 80s, but it was catchy in its own way. It'll be fun to see her and Nicki Minaj perform it at the Superbowl.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    It is horrible. I was thinking about it earlier and Madonna doesn't have the best or strongest voice but she used to do material in her prime that allowed her to use her voice to its potential. Think about any of her classic songs. She may not sing with a large range or anything but she puts all she has into the vocals and there is "oopmh" behind them. Then listen to this. It sounds like it belongs on KidzBopz or whatever the hell that is called. It sounds like she doesn't give a damn at all and is just chanting along to the melody.
    Ita...I think this would go well with muppets. I hope she uses older material at the Superbowl.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Crosses?? Marilyn Monroe?? Slutty wedding dresses???

Didn't we see this all 25 years ago when Madonna did it? This chick is nothing but a cheap Madonna rip-off!

Oh, wait....
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    I think Madonna will do 3 old songs and this one new song for the Super Bowl. Madonna's past songs, with some rare exceptions, usually have a distinctive feel to them. This new song feels like she's trying to keep up with what's current instead of being herself or making something new. I've never listened to a song from Niki M'jai, but my guess is this is the type of song Niki would sing, and Madonna is trying to copy that sound. Maybe the new album will have something else better on it. For now I'll stick to listening to old Madge like "Dress You Up" and "Into The Groove".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I think Madonna will do 3 old songs and this one new song for the Super Bowl.
    She'll definitely do this new song, as it's already been announced that Nikki Minaj and MIA will perform with her (they're both in the video linked above).

Now if it was just MIA performing, that would be sick!
    Sometimes I think I lost something really important to me, and it turns out I already ate it.

vCash
    boo, what a disappointment! the vid is so much better than the song...
    anyway, Madonna looks v. good in it!

vCash
    I heard this song on the radio and thought it was Avril Lavigne.

Quadless
    vCash
    Horrible. (And I say that as someone who usually likes Madonna's music.)
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    It sounds like it belongs on KidzBopz or whatever the hell that is called.
    You think it sounds that good??? (This is Madonna's worst song ever...can't think of one that comes close to being this bad... )
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    When I heard it for the first time, I thought it was absolutely awful.

The second time... I was dancing all around the room.

I love it. It's perfect cheesy bubblegum pop. Very immediate, great for a party.

It'll probably be a huge hit.

(Yes, it's a shit song but come on. We're talking about Madonna, not Bon Iver)

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

I love it. It's perfect cheesy bubblegum pop. Very immediate, great for a party.

It'll probably be a huge hit.
    The question for me is: Do people want to hear "perfect cheesy bubblegum pop" from a 50 year old? Or better yet, does radio want to play that music from someone of that age? I doubt it. I think it will get decent early play and then fizzle quickly. If she wants to get play on mainstream top 40 radio then she needs to do something DRASTIC, not try to fit in with the 20 yr olds. Madonna used to be known as reinventing herself, now she released a song that sounds like an Avril Lavigne reject and threw in some young hip artists to give her more cred. 25 years ago I bet Madonna would have cringed at the idea of ever doing something like this.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    What the hell is she supposed to do - rap (oh, she tried to do a "cool" version of that in "Vogue" - stealing from black drag queens. Marlene Dietrich and George Hurrell the Hollywood photographer at the same time)?

She borrowed from ABBA (with Benny and Bjorn's permission) with "Hung Up" and used Dance Dance Revolution very recently - so she has had success with associating her with much younger people and their cultural style and icons.

And in terms of fitting in the 20-year-olds - that may be old in terms of whose today's music is being marketed to.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    Big, don't be ageist.

Quadless
    vCash
    The question for me is: Do people want to hear "perfect cheesy bubblegum pop" from a 50 year old? Or better yet, does radio want to play that music from someone of that age? I doubt it. I think it will get decent early play and then fizzle quickly. If she wants to get play on mainstream top 40 radio then she needs to do something DRASTIC, not try to fit in with the 20 yr olds.
    I don't think about a singer's age when I'm listening to music; I just listen to the music. And as far as Madonna's age is concerned, I thought Confessions on a Dance Floor was pretty relevant and had some really good pop songs (Hung Up, Sorry, How High), and Madonna was what - like 45? - when she made that album. So for me, 45, 50+ - there's not much difference. The bigger issue is whether the music is compelling, and in the case of this song, I would say no.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    I hated this song when I first heard it. Now, I'm humming it and singing along. I think this will be like "4 Minutes" which I wasn't too keen on, but that ended up being one of the lesser songs on her Hard Candy album. It's already no. 1 on iTunes so I guess she hit the mark there. I think Madonna's songs really aren't radio-friendly any more since they are more dance hits, so maybe she's banking on a mainstream pop hit. Let's face it, radio-friendly music isn't daring any more. I'm hoping the William Orbit produced tracks (who did her Ray of Light album) are more substantative. As a Madonna fan, I hope Interscope gives this album more promotion and back-up than Warner Bros. did with Hard Candy which seemed like they just dropped it after they made tons of money off of 4 Minutes. At least she looks good, and the trio look like they had tons of fun doing the video. Plus, she probably wanted to do a simple cheerleader chant song for her Superbowl performance. I'd be worried if the whole album was like this.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I hate it! I did love Ray of Light so I don't think she can't do dance/pop but this song misses the mark big time.

I hope the halftime isn't a big disappointment but hope aren't high.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast