Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    If coming closest to standard is what's needed to win, then there is really no need to show the dogs. The showing - how the handler and dogs 'perform' - doesn't really matter, it's all just for show (pun intended
    Part of the breed standard is action and behavior (why they try to keep bouncing and barking to a minimum, even though it's crowd pleasing.) A handler showing off the dog's action and stance incorrectly can screw up even a nice dog's placing. That's why even though I'd love to try showing a dog in confo if I lucked into a really spectacular dog I'd turn it over to a professional handler for something like Crufts or Westminster. No reason to let my amateur handling skills screw up a dog's day.

I think the 'viewers at home' tend to be biased towards the big and common breeds. With labs, I'd think part of their problem is decades of quantity over quality-it's harder to create a perfect show lab. With Goldens, I'm biased but all the ones I've met (pet/show type, as opposed to the rather rangy, flatter-coated working dogs, which don't look like show Goldens) have had dryer lint where their brains ought to be.

And I'm sorry, but I say German Shepherds can win again when they stop breeding dogs with backs that tilt at 45 degrees to the ground.

(What do I know? I'm still holding out for a Clumber Spaniel best in show. I love Clumbers almost as much as Sussex. Trying to convince my Dad, he NEEDS a nice big upland bird dog to stroll around the farm. He likes them, but as he doesn't hunt birds, he's unconvinced of a Clumber's nescessity.)

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I was happy when Josh the Newfie won, Uno the Beagle and that Sussex spaniel, what's his name.
    Stump. Josh was one of my favorite winners. I also liked the Deerhound last year and Rufus the bull terrier. He just had so much personality. And there was the German Shorthair pointed who showed so well -- posing perfectly in pointer stance.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I must have missed the pointer. He or she sounds lovely.

ETA: I checked out Carlee the pointer in this video: http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/6979672/#6979672

She is beautiful. Well done!
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 02-16-2012 at 05:10 PM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Malachy rang the opening bell at the NY stock exchange today.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I must have missed the pointer. He or she sounds lovely.

ETA: I checked out Carlee the pointer in this video: http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/6979672/#6979672

She is beautiful. Well done!
    This link shows her "freestack" that really wowed the crowd. She was motionless.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/slideshow/news-dogshow/8/
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I love pointers. If I had several acres of land, I'd have one. My parents had pointers and English setters that they use with quail. Watching a good field dog work is so much fun.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Fearless Musher
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    The Alaskan Malamute can finish second to the Siberian Husky.
    I have both and none of them agree
    "I missed the view and viewed the mist..." ©

vCash
    Can anyone else say if Malachy has what I would consider good markings? His coloring seem to be balanced so that both sides of his face and body matched. The colors changed from grey to black to tan, which made him interesting, but they always matched, one side to the other. The only thing I would pick a bone with is that it seemed like his hair was blown dry to hard and fast, it seemed brittle, but maybe that is the breed standard. His hair seemed perfectly cropped, shaped, but still a little fly away.

I would have given it to the Irish Setter because she had 15 puppies last year and bounced right back. Her coat was so shiny and gorgeous. She was regal.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    IIRC, Malachy's hair doesn't need trimming, just lots of grooming.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    IIRC, Malachy's hair doesn't need trimming, just lots of grooming.
    Looks like he need a good conditioner.
    Never mess with a geocacher. We know the best places to hide a body....

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafras View Post
    Looks like he need a good conditioner.
    Yes.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    The Alaskan Malamute can finish second to the Siberian Husky.
    I bet they tie when it comes to keeping up with all of the fur. I can't believe how early her second coat started shedding this year. Of course it has been unusually warm....

Fearless Musher
    vCash
    Cygnus & Cachoo, are you mushers ? Or do you have just one dog ?
    "I missed the view and viewed the mist..." ©

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    With Goldens, I'm biased but all the ones I've met (pet/show type, as opposed to the rather rangy, flatter-coated working dogs, which don't look like show Goldens) have had dryer lint where their brains ought to be.

Intelligence isn't required to win show titles. The Pekingese not exactly a genius among dogs.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cholla View Post
    Cygnus & Cachoo, are you mushers ? Or do you have just one dog ?
    Just the one dog. I'd love to have a team, but one is enough (for now!)
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash

Intelligence isn't required to win show titles. The Pekingese not exactly a genius among dogs.
    The Goldens just LOOK dumb, though. All that poofy hair and the puppy heads (the Border Collies are kind of getting the same way as far as their huge poofy coats and bulbish heads compared to the really wiry herding dogs.)

And all that fluff...I always loved Malamutes and Siberian Huskies in theory and then I saw the hair on my friend's when the coat goes...that is more fuzz than I can deal with! You could stuff pillows!

vCash
    The Goldens just LOOK dumb, though. All that poofy hair and the puppy heads (the Border Collies are kind of getting the same way as far as their huge poofy coats and bulbish heads compared to the really wiry herding dogs.)

And all that fluff...I always loved Malamutes and Siberian Huskies in theory and then I saw the hair on my friend's when the coat goes...that is more fuzz than I can deal with! You could stuff pillows!
    Goldens look dumb? Poofy Goldens, Border Collies, Malamutes and Siberians?

These are among the least ridiculous dogs in the competition.

The Poodles rule the poof. The Shi Tsus look like they've got hair extensions. And the Peke who won look he/she was having a bad hair day and someone blew dry the coat in the wrong direction. Peke's hardly have any face and this one you couldn't see at all.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Goldens look dumb? Poofy Goldens, Border Collies, Malamutes and Siberians?

These are among the least ridiculous dogs in the competition.
    You've never seen original working-line goldens and border collies, have you? They (and Aussies) do NOT look like the fluff-coated puppy-faced show dogs. Also the bones on the herders are getting much too heavy. The working lines are thiner-boned, leaner, with narrower faces and do NOT have mountains of foofy hair. You can't hunt duck with a show golden's coat. The Border Collies are reaching the point of the ridiculous--they don't look like Border Collies.

Toys are what they are. The Peke is meant to be the personal lapdog of the Chinese Imperial family. It doesn't HAVE to keep its hair clean as in its world, it doesn't walk. It sits on pillows and rides in sleeves. In terms of which confo ring dog better suits the breed's purpose, the Toys blow the pet-popular Goldens and Labs and unfortunate popular herding breeds out of the water. They can still be lap dogs. I would never send a Border Collie with a show coat into Highland heather to round up sheep. I'd be picking crap out of it for weeks. It's a beauty queen, which is fine for a breed that exists solely as a house dog, but that's not what a herding dog is for. You can't give the sheep the eye out of a bulbous puppy face.

As for Siberians and Malamutes, they do something called "blowing their coat." If you don't like a dog that takes shedding to undreamed-of heights, NOT the dog for you. That's just how they are--the thick Arctic coat has to come off at some point. I have enough trouble with the thick undercoat on a Pembroke.

vCash
    You've never seen original working-line goldens and border collies, have you?
    Um - I actually have a golden retriever myself (from field lines) and am very familiar with the breed. I simply do not agree with you that they look ridiculous or foofy.

Also the bones on the herders are getting much too heavy. The working lines are thiner-boned, leaner, with narrower faces and do NOT have mountains of foofy hair. You can't hunt duck with a show golden's coat. The Border Collies are reaching the point of the ridiculous--they don't look like Border Collies.
    I agree that the bones are heavier in the show dogs. Didn't see the border collies, so can't comment on that.

Toys are what they are. The Peke is meant to be the personal lapdog of the Chinese Imperial family. It doesn't HAVE to keep its hair clean as in its world, it doesn't walk. It sits on pillows and rides in sleeves. In terms of which confo ring dog better suits the breed's purpose, the Toys blow the pet-popular Goldens and Labs and unfortunate popular herding breeds out of the water. They can still be lap dogs. I would never send a Border Collie with a show coat into Highland heather to round up sheep. I'd be picking crap out of it for weeks. It's a beauty queen, which is fine for a breed that exists solely as a house dog, but that's not what a herding dog is for. You can't give the sheep the eye out of a bulbous puppy face.
    Which pretty much makes a mockery of the notion that Westminister is a competition and explains why some of the bigger breeds do poorly. Knowing this, I'll be less inclined to watch Westminister in future.

vCash
    (What do I know? I'm still holding out for a Clumber Spaniel best in show. I love Clumbers almost as much as Sussex. Trying to convince my Dad, he NEEDS a nice big upland bird dog to stroll around the farm. He likes them, but as he doesn't hunt birds, he's unconvinced of a Clumber's nescessity.)
    A Clumber won best in show a few years back (1996). He was absolutely gorgeous. I believe he won Crufts as well. I love that breed. Though I'm very committed to mixed breed rescues, a Clumber would be my dream dog. Well, one of many.

That said, I'm down on dog shows since I saw that British documentary on what show breeding has done to dogs. I'm still not over it.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast