Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,525
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Freestyle Skaters who were once Pairs Skaters

    Say,I was wondering how may famous Freestyle Skaters we know of that of course started out as just that...then were Pairs Skaters..and NOW are back to Freestyle. I know Kristi Yamaguchi was indeed ONCE a Pairs Skater. BTW. are there any pic. of her doing Pairs? I thought I also read something about Melissa Bulanhagui doing Pairs. Does anyone know if this is true? Who else do we know who does Freestyle now..but was once a Pairs Skater?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,289
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    44646
    Paul Wylie comes to mind. He was once a pairs skater, but became famous as a singles skater.

    Rudy Galindo, of course. Here is a link to Kristi & Rudy's 1989 LP:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62iI8SbLm-I

    and here is the 1990 LP:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_ml-...eature=related

    Katia Gordeeva (going from pairs to singles)

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Music City
    Posts
    655
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Jeremy Abbott was a pair skater in his younger years, as well as an ice dancer. But I believe he always skated singles as well.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    566
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Rachael Flatt used to skate pairs with Andrew Speroff.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,525
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sit_spin View Post
    Rachael Flatt used to skate pairs with Andrew Speroff.

    Rachael Flatt?!!!...Gee,does anyone know if there's any images on anything other then U-Tube (Google maybe) showing her doing Pairs? BTW. when was this? As Rachael seems really young.

  6. #6
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,298
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16342
    Rachael Flatt won the silver medal in Juvenile Pairs in 2003 and the Intermediate Pairs title in 2004 with Andrew Speroff. She stopped skating pairs when she was 12 years old in the 2004-05 season to focus on singles. I've searched online but haven't found any photos or video of Flatt/Speroff skating pairs.

    Melissa Bulanhagui has never competed in pairs, but performed with a friend once in a show for fun.

    ETA: FSWer, since you can't watch YouTube videos on your computer, here's one photo I found of Kristi Yamaguchi/Rudi Galindo doing a split twist lift at 1990 US Nationals (they won the 1989 and 1990 National pairs title together): http://figureskating.wikia.com/wiki/File:U96162508.jpg
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-13-2012 at 04:27 PM.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    peregrinating
    Posts
    4,942
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    14505
    Ryan Bradley skated novice pairs with Tiffany Vise for a few years in the late 90's as well. They went to Nationals for two years and then she paired up Larry Ibarra and Bradley focused on his singles career.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,289
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    44646
    Kurt Browning was an ice dancer (that explains his fantastic footwork) before he turned to singles. I heard this from one of the commentators, eons ago.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Jersey, Channel Islands
    Age
    34
    Posts
    9,119
    vCash
    925
    Rep Power
    790
    Galina Maniachenko/Efremenko medalled at Junior Worlds in pairs but then was injured in a horrid accident and switched to singles.
    “What’s on the revengenda this evening?” – Nolan Ross

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phila., PA
    Posts
    3,578
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I got to speak to Keegan Messing in San Jose while waiting for the shuttle bus. He introduced me to his former pairs partner. I had no idea he had ever skated pairs.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    peregrinating
    Posts
    4,942
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    14505
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    I got to speak to Keegan Messing in San Jose while waiting for the shuttle bus. He introduced me to his former pairs partner. I had no idea he had ever skated pairs.
    Good for him! He's definitely not that tall, but I don't think there are any overhead lifts in Intermediate pairs and below, so it would be doable. How tall was his partner -when they were competing together?

  12. #12
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,298
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16342
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Good for him! He's definitely not that tall, but I don't think there are any overhead lifts in Intermediate pairs and below, so it would be doable. How tall was his partner -when they were competing together?
    About his height.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,239
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10899
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Good for him! He's definitely not that tall, but I don't think there are any overhead lifts in Intermediate pairs and below, so it would be doable.
    Some of the easier overhead lifts are allowed at intermediate level in the US (see http://usfigureskating.org/Content/2...Prejuv-Int.pdf), but not all teams at that level include lifts with full extension. They're not allowed at lower levels.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    peregrinating
    Posts
    4,942
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    14505
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Some of the easier overhead lifts are allowed at intermediate level in the US (see http://usfigureskating.org/Content/2...Prejuv-Int.pdf), but not all teams at that level include lifts with full extension. They're not allowed at lower levels.
    That's good to know. As long as they're not required, am sure they were able to find other ways to be competitive if his jumping ability is anything to go by.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia
    About his height .
    That's what he said .

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    109
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Steven Evans was the Intermediate Pairs Silver Medalist at the 2008 US Jr Championships with Becky Du. He got 5th at southwesterns this season in Sr Men and was on the Jr Podium i believe last year

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,525
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Rachael Flatt won the silver medal in Juvenile Pairs in 2003 and the Intermediate Pairs title in 2004 with Andrew Speroff. She stopped skating pairs when she was 12 years old in the 2004-05 season to focus on singles. I've searched online but haven't found any photos or video of Flatt/Speroff skating pairs.

    Melissa Bulanhagui has never competed in pairs, but performed with a friend once in a show for fun.

    ETA: FSWer, since you can't watch YouTube videos on your computer, here's one photo I found of Kristi Yamaguchi/Rudi Galindo doing a split twist lift at 1990 US Nationals (they won the 1989 and 1990 National pairs title together): http://figureskating.wikia.com/wiki/File:U96162508.jpg
    I just clicked on the link and just get a list of Skaters,etc. No photo. Rachael stopped when she was 12? When did she start,and what was she doing for moves? Where is Andrew Speroff now? How old was he? I surely hope we can find some pics of them. I'd love to see what Rachael wa like doing Pairs.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    USA
    Age
    16
    Posts
    65
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    I just clicked on the link and just get a list of Skaters,etc. No photo. Rachael stopped when she was 12? When did she start,and what was she doing for moves? Where is Andrew Speroff now? How old was he? I surely hope we can find some pics of them. I'd love to see what Rachael wa like doing Pairs.
    Andrew Speroff placed 4th at US nationals in Senior Pairs with Gretchen Donlan. I believe he is 23 years old.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,525
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NarumiAyane View Post
    Andrew Speroff placed 4th at US nationals in Senior Pairs with Gretchen Donlan. I believe he is 23 years old.
    When was he with Rachael? What level did they get up to? How old were they both then? Gee,I sure hope somebody can find a pic. of those 2 doing Pairs. I'd love to see Rachael skating Pairs with a Partner.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Deep in a Dream
    Posts
    7,457
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7281
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    When was he with Rachael? What level did they get up to? How old were they both then? Gee,I sure hope somebody can find a pic. of those 2 doing Pairs. I'd love to see Rachael skating Pairs with a Partner.
    No, he's 23 now. He was in his early to mid teens when he skated with Rachael.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    USA
    Age
    16
    Posts
    65
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    When was he with Rachael? What level did they get up to? How old were they both then? Gee,I sure hope somebody can find a pic. of those 2 doing Pairs. I'd love to see Rachael skating Pairs with a Partner.
    He skated pairs with Rachael from 2001-04, and they competed nationally up to the intermediate level. They were assigned to a North American Challenge Skate in the 04/05 season, but broke up before the competition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •