Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: The Grammys

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Exactly.
    From the rest of what Miranda wrote, it seemed pretty clear to me that by "his place" she meant "anywhere but at the Grammys."
    I'm pretty sure she didn't mean anything by it, but it sounded really off.

Glad she spoke up, though, especially considering Oleada's post.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    I don't want redemption. I just want him to go away and grow up. I don't think he's matured past the age of 15 and Hollywood won't help him get any older.

Anyways, I don't get the Nikki Minaj love--I think her music sucks. I turned off the tv after Adele performed so I didn't see her travesty of a performance. I did see Katy Perry's and her Gaga-esque getup. My coworker and I were talking about her and we decided that she and Sandra Lee are the same: somewhat popular, always imitating others in their industry, and always being laughed at for their efforts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    When a person is as violent as that police report describes, he's a danger to other women and society in general.
    If ‘other women’ think he’s such a danger just stay away from him.

And further, is an abused woman really the one to decide if he should be forgiven? There are a lot of emotions involved, and the description of her actions suggests that this is not the first time she has been a victim of violence. Maybe she is truly willing to forgive and forget, or maybe she continues to suffer the effects of abuse, which could include acceptance of something she thinks she can't change, or is somehow her fault.
    Well she is an adult abused or not. She's the one who added him on twitter, continued to have contact with him even after the incident, going so far as to ask as judge to modify the restraining order so both can appear at award shows. I would let her close friends and family worry about her. Unless you think all abused women should be institutionalized and have someone making their decisions for them. If that's the case pick up the flag and run with it but I doubt it will get that far.

Everyone should be given second chances, and we do have to allow that the justice system acted appropriately. However, it's quite a different thing when the person goes on to be celebrated as though he never did this terrible thing. Sure, he's free to pursue his art and individuals are free to choose whether they wish to buy it or not. But to be showcased on a major stage and then warmly applauded by his peers - an endorsement from highly influential people if there ever was one - is quite different than someone simply being given a second chance.
    EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT HE DID...he certainly isn't hiding it nor is he making excuses, he was prosecuted, sentenced to six months of community service, five years probation and domestic violence counseling and is now free to continue his life as it was before; Just like anyone else would be allowed to do. I wasn’t aware the judge said, stay in hiding, you don't deserve to make any more records, money or be recognized for those accomplishments. If there was that stipulation please link it for me to read.

The list of the Grammy nominees were out long before it was on TV so everyone knew if they wouldn't let him perform he would at least be there to be one of five to accept had he won. Any artist who didn't want to go after seeing the list should have stayed home. Same goes for 'society'; there were other things to watch on TV that night if Chris Brown's appearance was that offensive to them.

Maybe Miranda Lambert should have told the Grammy producers that if Brown shows up she and her husband won't.....maybe she would have made more of an impact against the cause of abused women.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Well she is an adult abused or not. She's the one who added him on twitter, continued to have contact with him even after the incident, going so far as to ask as judge to modify the restraining order so both can appear at award shows. I would let her close friends and family worry about her. Unless you think all abused women should be institutionalized and have someone making their decisions for them. If that's the case pick up the flag and run with it but I doubt it will get that far.
    Um, what? I was responding to your inference that since Brown's victim has apparently forgiven him, then that should be good enough.

My point was that as the victim of the crime in what can be a very emotionally complex relationship, her forgiveness of her attacker does not mean that he has reformed and will never do it to her again, or anyone else .

I don't see where you made the leap to the notion of institutionalizing abused women.

... and is now free to continue his life as it was before; Just like anyone else would be allowed to do. I wasn’t aware the judge said, stay in hiding, you don't deserve to make any more records, money or be recognized for those accomplishments. If there was that stipulation please link it for me to read.
    I said that, and you quoted me - he's free to pursue his art, and by extension, make money and liv his life. And sure, if people like his art and have no issue with the person who created it, then there's nothing to stop him from being recognized. I'm just surprised that people are not only recognizing it - that's one thing - but celebrating it to the point of giving him a very major stage and then wholeheartedly endorsing him as an artist, and doing it so publicly.

Your last sentence in that paragraph is rude and totally uncalled for. I don't have to provide a link to prove something I didn't say.

The list of the Grammy nominees were out long before it was on TV so everyone knew if they wouldn't let him perform he would at least be there to be one of five to accept had he won. Any artist who didn't want to go after seeing the list should have stayed home. Same goes for 'society'; there were other things to watch on TV that night if Chris Brown's appearance was that offensive to them.
    Of course he has every right to show up. My surprise is with the producers who chose him among dozens of other nominees to perform. This isn't some local show scrambling to fill a bill, it's the Grammys, supposedly representing the very best in music and the music business. There were dozens of nominees, and yet only a few get to perform at this very significant event that is seen by millions of people.

By inviting/allowing Brown to perform, the Grammy organization has said they're ok with him, and by cheering him on, his peers have said they feel the same. That's a very powerful endorsement of his art, and by extension, him.

And that surprises me.

vCash
    Um, what? I was responding to your inference that since Brown's victim has apparently forgiven him, then that should be good enough.

My point was that as the victim of the crime in what can be a very emotionally complex relationship, her forgiveness of her attacker does not mean that he has reformed and will never do it to her again, or anyone else .

I don't see where you made the leap to the notion of institutionalizing abused women.
    The point was, Rihanna is an adult and has made her own decisions about Brown. It’s time to let them both move on let them both live with the decisions they have made for themselves.

I said that, and you quoted me - he's free to pursue his art, and by extension, make money and liv his life. And sure, if people like his art and have no issue with the person who created it, then there's nothing to stop him from being recognized. I'm just surprised that people are not only recognizing it - that's one thing - but celebrating it to the point of giving him a very major stage and then wholeheartedly endorsing him as an artist, and doing it so publicly.

Your last sentence in that paragraph is rude and totally uncalled for. I don't have to provide a link to prove something I didn't say.

Of course he has every right to show up. My surprise is with the producers who chose him among dozens of other nominees to perform. This isn't some local show scrambling to fill a bill, it's the Grammys, supposedly representing the very best in music and the music business. There were dozens of nominees, and yet only a few get to perform at this very significant event that is seen by millions of people.

By inviting/allowing Brown to perform, the Grammy organization has said they're ok with him, and by cheering him on, his peers have said they feel the same. That's a very powerful endorsement of his art, and by extension, him.

And that surprises me.
    He is one of the very best in R&B music today, like it or not. He has already been nominated for Grammys multiple times before the arrest. This particular album went to #1 and it won Best R&B album that night. They had a reason to ask him, he had a right to perform and collect his award.

vCash
    He is one of the very best in R&B music today, like it or not. He has already been nominated for Grammys multiple times before the arrest. This particular album went to #1 and it won Best R&B album that night. They had a reason to ask him, he had a right to perform and collect his award.
    I suppose there are those who think that. But I think he is awful. Cant even listen to his technologically enhanced rubbish. Even my son, who is really into that kind of music, thinks he sucks.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I have never questioned his rights. I questioned the people who invited him to perform and gave him such an enthusiastic reception. I didn't even say if I thought it was right or wrong - just that it surprised me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I suppose there are those who think that. But I think he is awful. Cant even listen to his technologically enhanced rubbish. Even my son, who is really into that kind of music, thinks he sucks.
    I agree, I don't go out of my way hear to hear his music and doubt I would know him from Jay Z. But I'm not a big R&B fan either so our paths aren't likely to cross. I don't hand out the Grammys so I'm guess who ever gave him that award though he was good. I do like Rihanna though.

vCash
    My surprise is with the producers who chose him among dozens of other nominees to perform. This isn't some local show scrambling to fill a bill, it's the Grammys, supposedly representing the very best in music and the music business. There were dozens of nominees, and yet only a few get to perform at this very significant event that is seen by millions of people.

And that surprises me.
    I totally agree with your entire post, except the last comment. I am not at all surprized by the Grammy's decision allowing Chris Brown to perform. It's all about the ratings, and controversy always helps. Of course, one of pop's biggest stars dying the day before the broadcast didn't hurt either (and excuse my sarcasm, but I can picture several organizers giving each other hi-fives over the news, knowing the ratings would sky-rocket because of it...which they did, with an increase of 41% and the best ratings since 1984...the year Michael Jackson's "Thriller" ruled the land).

vCash
    I'm no fan of Chris Brown, and I have no respect for abusers of any kind (woman, man, child, animal...) but I agree that he has done his time. He has a right to move on and continue to make a living doing what it is he does. Nobody is forced to buy his work or watch him perform. I think he is a world class douchebag, but that's just my opinion and it isn't really relevant. I think she is a word class douchebag to.
    Last edited by Badams; 02-15-2012 at 10:35 PM. Reason: I forgot the "e" in both my douchebags!
    Team Peeps!

vCash
    Well, personally I can't stand him. And I don't think the Grammy's should've legitimized him the way they did.

He seems like such a lovely person:

On Tuesday evening, Brown took to Twitter to lash out against his detractors, writing, “HATE ALL U WANT BECUZ I GOT A GRAMMY. Now! That's the ultimate **** OFF.” The tweet was later deleted
    Source here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post
    He seems like such a lovely person:
    Simply adorable. So deserving of the 2nd chance many believe he deserves.

vCash
    Apparently he needs multiple chances. The guy's a thug.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    It bites my ass that "most people are over it." I think if Chris' album hadn't made much money, he wouldn't be anywhere near a grammy stage. But because he's successful-- and let's not forget most of his fans are young women, which his wildly problematic-- it's easier to move on. I don't like it.

Neither does Miranda Lambert. I'm not crazy about her language (put in his place? Er...), but Chris' response shows what a classy guy he isn't, and is pretty indicative of his character, I think.
    I saw Miranda's tweets and loved them. Makes me think higher of both her and Blake.

-Bridget

vCash
    I also can't believe the light sentence Chris Brown got. He was strangling Rihanna to the point of her passing out -- that should've been considered attempted MURDER and he should still be in prison to this day. Ugh. But since the US justice system failed, I think others should "punish" him to pick up the slack, i.e. no invites to the Grammys and no one should buy his cds. Too bad not enough people think that way (obviously, as his cd sales attest).

-Bridget

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John 3 17 View Post
    I also can't believe the light sentence Chris Brown got. He was strangling Rihanna to the point of her passing out -- that should've been considered attempted MURDER and he should still be in prison to this day. Ugh. But since the US justice system failed, I think others should "punish" him to pick up the slack, i.e. no invites to the Grammys and no one should buy his cds. Too bad not enough people think that way (obviously, as his cd sales attest).

-Bridget
    I agree. Any violence again Rihanna would have been deplorable, but it was not as if Chris Brown just shoved her. He put Rihanna's life endanger and has not done enough to show the appropriate remorse and that's why so many are against him getting receptions like he did at the Grammys. I'm no fan of Michael Vick, but in comparison to Chris Brown he did make far more of an effort to redeem himself by showing remorse in interviews and contributing to animal charities. I think Chris Brown could redeem himself if he showed remorse with his behavior and contributed to the aid of domestic violence victims in some form, but he has not done so yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    I agree. Any violence again Rihanna would have been deplorable, but it was not as if Chris Brown just shoved her. He put Rihanna's life endanger and has not done enough to show the appropriate remorse and that's why so many are against him getting receptions like he did at the Grammys. I'm no fan of Michael Vick, but in comparison to Chris Brown he did make far more of an effort to redeem himself by showing remorse in interviews and contributing to animal charities. I think Chris Brown could redeem himself if he showed remorse with his behavior and contributed to the aid of domestic violence victims in some form, but he has not done so yet.
    AMEN!

vCash
    Seems he's doing some vocal on an upcoming track of hers: http://www.billboard.com/column/the-...06213152.story

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Seems he's doing some vocal on an upcoming track of hers: http://www.billboard.com/column/the-...06213152.story
    I can't believe anyone at her label would let her record with him. That is such an idiotic move on their part. If I were a radio DJ or program director I would refuse to play the track. I would feel guilty sending out a message to young girls and boys that his behavior was OK and something a girl should go back to.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Reading the morning paper, and this is written in 'The Word' (gossip column by Dorothy Robinson):

According to US Weekly, a woman tells the magazine that Chris Brown approached her at the Grammy gift lounge on Feb 10 to ask for her number. "Can I get your number? I promise I won't beat you," he reportedly said. The woman said he and his friends laughed, then one of them yelled "That's his new line!".

Yes, simply adorable.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122