• yes

42 30.43%
  • no

96 69.57%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    D-W and V-M didnt work hard?
    I dont want to say this is best rivaliry,but i dont understand your argue.
    I see only one thing - a lot off people still in 90th and didnt like today reality.
    G-P and K-O wasnt rivaliry, becasue at that time if you won 1 time you will wim untill you will retier. So K-O didnt have chance to be on top untill G-P retier.
    Its like B-B and K-P rivaliry IMHO.
    ???
    I was answering to judgejudy to say that, IMO, G&P vs. K&O can be considered as a rivalry. I didn't say anything about V&M and D&W !

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    [QUOTE=judgejudy27;3485886]So Even Maria Butyrskaya beat Michelle Kwan in the short program in probably about 8 of their competitions, and you would never hear anyone call that a great rivalry.

QUOTE]

I never realized that.

vCash
    [QUOTE=kwanette;3486158][QUOTE=judgejudy27;3485886]So Even Maria Butyrskaya beat Michelle Kwan in the short program in probably about 8 of their competitions, and you would never hear anyone call that a great rivalry.

I never realized that.
    I count 4 times and 3 of those times, Kwan made serious errors.

96 centennial on ice
    99 worlds
    2000 worlds
    2002 gpf

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    [QUOTE=fenway2;3486175][QUOTE=kwanette;3486158]
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    So Even Maria Butyrskaya beat Michelle Kwan in the short program in probably about 8 of their competitions, and you would never hear anyone call that a great rivalry.

96 centennial on ice
    99 worlds
    2000 worlds
    2002 gpf
    Thanks, do you mean GPF 01? MK qualified for the GPF in 02 with her SA win, but declined to participate.

vCash
    [QUOTE=kwanette;3486195][QUOTE=fenway2;3486175]
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post

Thanks, do you mean GPF 01? MK qualified for the GPF in 02 with her SA win, but declined to participate.
    Whoops, yes that should be 01.

vCash
    While D&W vs V&M is amazingly competitive and beautiful to watch, I don't find them dramatic enough personally to qualify as the greatest rivalry. Weir and Lysacek were far more adept at drawing the press and making a big hullabaloo (mostly just Johnny, for all I love him; Evan got dragged into it quite nicely though).
    So definitely among the best professional rivalries, but in terms of a personal rivalry, I don't see our beloved ice dancers going down in any record books.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post

96 centennial on ice
    99 worlds
    2000 worlds
    2002 gpf
    Kwan did not make a serious error at the 2000 Worlds and 2002 GPF. A wobbly landing on one foot is not a serious error, but a minor one without even a mandatory deduction (and she was never beating Maria in the 2000 Worlds SP regardless). Also your count is wrong. Maria also beat Michelle in the SP at the 97 GPF, 97 Worlds, 94 Goodwill Games, so now adding it up that is atleast 7. It doesnt matter whether she skated perfectly each time or not, it still means Maria did a better program each time. If one discounted when there was errors that would discount almost every competition Maria ever did, and thus she would have almost never really lost a competition to anyone.

My point of course was not to suggest Maria was in anyway a serious rival to Michelle Kwan. It was to show how extremely little K/O beating G/P once ever in the shorter dance means. In fact it only emphasizes more what a non rivalry it was.

vCash
    Wheeee !
    This thread is turning into a Kwan thread !

vCash
    Just because K/O never beat G/P doesn't mean that they didn't have a rivalry. IIRC both teams were good friends at one point, then towards the end when G/P left Linichuk for Tarasova K/O wanted to overtake them before Nagano and I remember on more than one occasion, Anjelika being absolutely PISSED (and I mean watch their Carmen, Anjelika Krylova being pissed is the only skater that can compete with Babs in scariness) that they had finished 2nd. They also didn't have the COP to help even out the playing field back then. They were both miles ahead of all of the other teams in 96-98 IMO (just as the top 2 are now) and the perforamnces they both gave in each competition they entered far outshined any fake over the top 10's that judges are just handing out these days. Not to discredit the top 2 ice dance teams at the moment, I just felt like performance-wise, G&P vs K&O rivalry had so much more depth and excitement.

vCash
    Of course, while V/M and D/W is a great and exciting rivalry, I wouldn't call it "the best ever." Particularly in ice dance, I believe there have been a number of great rivalries, that unfortunately weren't allowed to play out that way because of the entrenched political scoring system that tended to affect ice dancing more than the other disciplines.

A case in point (before I've read other posts in this thread) is the close competitions between Klimova/Ponomarenko and Usova/Zhulin, where K/P always came out on top regardless. U/Z actually deserved to win over K/P at some point before having to wait for them to retire!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdij7eJeEzY

This was a great performance that should have probably won U/Z their first World championship (before they eventually won in 1993). Looking back, I see the Duchesnays won Worlds over K/P and U/Z in 1991, so D/D were also in the rivalry mix in those years. D/D were exciting to watch but did not have the polish and tech skills of K/P and U/Z.

vCash
    The fun thing about V/M vs D/W rivalry is that it is happening NOW and it is likely to continue for the next couple of years.
    To me, the greatest emotional rivalry is Yagudin vs Plushenko. In fact, there was so much emotion ( mine, yes, but also public's emotion in general) invested in it, that it continues to this day. Yagudin won short-term ( and my heart still sings thinking of his perfiormances at SLC), while Plushenko is winning in terms of longevity. It was so epic, it is always in the background.
    The other rivalries mentioned , IMO, are comparable to D/W vs V/M rivalry, and D/W/V/M have a chance to surpass them. Scott heat it up with his comments, and who knows what the future brings? FUN to see! ( the fan wars are certainly reaching the epic level, even without NA vs Europe dilemma)
    Last edited by dinakt; 02-23-2012 at 02:59 AM.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    I think I have a hard time considering V/M and D/W a "rivalry" because they're just so darn NICE to each other! No disparaging remarks in interviews, no death glares, no sex skandals. Where's the excitement?! What's happened to ice dance?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luna_skater View Post
    I think I have a hard time considering V/M and D/W a "rivalry" because they're just so darn NICE to each other! No disparaging remarks in interviews, no death glares, no sex skandals. Where's the excitement?! What's happened to ice dance?!
    It's the kinder, gentler world of ice dance.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    A case in point (before I've read other posts in this thread) is the close competitions between Klimova/Ponomarenko and Usova/Zhulin, where K/P always came out on top regardless. U/Z actually deserved to win over K/P at some point before having to wait for them to retire!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdij7eJeEzY

This was a great performance that should have probably won U/Z their first World championship (before they eventually won in 1993). Looking back, I see the Duchesnays won Worlds over K/P and U/Z in 1991, so D/D were also in the rivalry mix in those years. D/D were exciting to watch but did not have the polish and tech skills of K/P and U/Z.
    Absolutely agree. U&Z were 1st in the compulsories, and IMO, should have been 1st in the OSP as well. I could not believe the Duchesnays won the OSP with this skate.

D&D OSP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aYAG...eature=related

U&Z FD
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8nCNYjDhng

The Canadian commentators thought they should have won with this FD. The audience were shocked too.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    It's the kinder, gentler world of ice dance.
    It sucks. And not the good way either.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luna_skater View Post
    ^^This.

vCash
    Yagudin VS Plushenko...what's best? plus, we had also all the extra backstage fights (aka Mishin vs Tarasova)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123