Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

42 30.43%
  • no

96 69.57%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    For me this rivalry is up there with Yags vs Plush and Irina vs Michelle. It will definitely go down in history, whether you like it or not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    I far prefer Kwan to Slutskaya but post 2000 I never thought it was a rivalry in the true sense of the word. I think a clean Kwan only beat a clean Slutskaya one time in serious competition (post 2000) and that would be the controversial SLC short program. Maybe I was just bitter at the time but I always got the feeling that (after 2000) if both ladies went clean in any segment of a competition, Slutskaya won. So it didn't feel like a true rivalry to me. Slutskaya was favored by the judges and Kwan could only beat her if she went clean while Slute made a mistake.

Maybe Slute was technically clean in her 2000 world long program. I don't remember. Well if you can call, watering down a program clean.

With D/W and V/M, I feel either team could win on any given day even if both skate cleanly. That to me screams real rivalry. JMO obviously.
    That is incorrect. Kwan won the SP in 2002 Oly, with one minor flaw. Irina skated clean and should have won the SP, but it was too close to call, IMO; it could have gone either way. Had Irina won the SP, she would have won the OGM, with the way they placed in the LP.

vCash
    Whether you believe Kwan's flip was flawed or not, I'm still wondering if that was the only time since 2000 that she beat a clean Slute in real competition. For the record, I think Irina was robbed of the short program win too. It felt like a case of home country advantage.

vCash
    Isn't anyone gonna mention Grishuk/Platov vs. Usova/Zhulin as an important rivalry?! While it may not be as much of one as V/M or D/W (I haven't really thought enough about it to vote on the poll just now), I'm surprised that hasn't been MENTIONED.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Isn't anyone gonna mention Grishuk/Platov vs. Usova/Zhulin as an important rivalry?! While it may not be as much of one as V/M or D/W (I haven't really thought enough about it to vote on the poll just now), I'm surprised that hasn't been MENTIONED.
    ooh, that was a good one, too.

I love both V&M and D&W, and have followed their senior careers closely. I honestly feel privileged to witness such a rivalry, and that they are good friends makes it even better.

My favourite discipline is ice dance, and I am so impressed by the depth we are seeing these days. I believe there is another rivalry between P&B and W&P that is adding to the excitement. I prefer W&P and their material, but think that P&B are still the better skaters and would love to see them win their first world medal at home. and the Shibutanis are in the mix, as are B&S and I&K (and I don't care what some say about the latter, I still enjoy watching them skate and believe they have a bright future). And look at how much C&L have improved, particularly Anna. and I saw so many promising teams at US nationals and Canadians (I wish I could see national championships from other countries, but that is all I have access to).
    Last edited by Bournekraatzfan; 02-14-2012 at 01:48 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I thought it was. What else does this mean then?
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Until they are bashing each other's heads on the bar counter at Spago's, then no it won't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Until they are bashing each other's heads on the bar counter at Spago's, then no it won't.
    Love it! So true.

To me this rivalry doesn't come close to the Brian's, Witt/Thomas, Etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    For me this rivalry is up there with Yags vs Plush and Irina vs Michelle. It will definitely go down in history, whether you like it or not.
    I TA that the V/M and D/W rivalry is historic ... who would have thought that the rivals for top honors in ice dance would be two North American teams? I just don't think it is better than all the other great rivalries, such as Yags/Plush, Kwan and ....[Lipinski, Slute, etc.]

vCash
    No. not in every disciplines at all.
    maybe in ice dance for the 21st century

vCash
    No.
    IMO, there's no rivalry since both teams are fabulous and judges just chose the one they want. Ice dancing judging system is really too subjective.

vCash
    Give me Grishuk & Platov vs Krylova & Ovsiannikov any day of the week. And in any discipline? Good lord I'm just going to bow out now.

vCash
    Krylova & Ovsiannikov never beat Gritschuk & Platov. Not even once. Skaters have to be rivals for it be a rivalry. Maria Butyrskaya and Nicole Bobek were even closer to being rivals to Michelle Kwan than K&O or anyone after 94 was to G&P.

vCash

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Krylova & Ovsiannikov never beat Gritschuk & Platov. Not even once. Skaters have to be rivals for it be a rivalry. Maria Butyrskaya and Nicole Bobek were even closer to being rivals to Michelle Kwan than K&O or anyone after 94 was to G&P.
    I was going to say the same thing. K&O would have had to have beaten G&P at least once to even call it a rivalry but they didn't. As a result, it was a domination on G&P's part, not a rivalry.

vCash
    No.

vCash
    Some people need to invest in a good dictionary.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    K/O beat G/P in the OD at the 1998 Europeans but lost the Gold.
    I'm with Karpenko on this-it was still a great rivalry-IMO. Everyone who watched the two couples had a different view.
    Also for me Sale/Pelletier V Berezhnaya /Sikharludize was a great rivalry.
    Yagudin V Plushenko was better also.
    I know Lipinski V Kwan only lasted a few years but it was still exciting.
    Butyrskaya V Slutskaya-being in Europe-also very good.
    IMO it's way too early to call the V/M V D/W rivalry the best. It's good to watch but does not have the magic yet.

vCash
    So they beat them once in the OD when G/P fell. What an amazing rivalry. Even Maria Butyrskaya beat Michelle Kwan in the short program in probably about 8 of their competitions, and you would never hear anyone call that a great rivalry.

I actually thought K/O were good enough to be more of rivals to G/P than they were, but the pecking order within their country eliminated any chance of that happening.

vCash
    A rivalry is when both teams need to work more to beat the other one, and not when titles are well distributed. So, IMO, G&P and K&O can be considered as a rivalry. But it was not a rivalry with much suspens ! lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    A rivalry is when both teams need to work more to beat the other one, and not when titles are well distributed. So, IMO, G&P and K&O can be considered as a rivalry. But it was not a rivalry with much suspens ! lol
    D-W and V-M didnt work hard?
    I dont want to say this is best rivaliry,but i dont understand your argue.
    I see only one thing - a lot off people still in 90th and didnt like today reality.
    G-P and K-O wasnt rivaliry, becasue at that time if you won 1 time you will wim untill you will retier. So K-O didnt have chance to be on top untill G-P retier.
    Its like B-B and K-P rivaliry IMHO.

vCash
    Well I liked the short rivalry between A/P -FP/M

Also the rivalry between N/K and Denstas who should have won in 04

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast