Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 122
  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    11,193
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Also, work on the remainder of the mule kick on the lutz, work on correct edge take off and better flow out of the 2A although every time I see her skate, the axel improves. And now that she's come so far, I believe that she can do this remaining work. She has rebuilt a whole new skater from the ground up and brought back the Pearl. She can do anything!
    Maybe it was the camera angle, but her 2axel looked much improved at 4CCs.

  2. #22
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,130
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34921
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Maybe it was the camera angle, but her 2axel looked much improved at 4CCs.
    I agree, it has improved even since Nationals, more flow out of it than ever. But still not as much as some others so there's some room for improvement. I think she keeps getting better and better and who knows how much better it could be next season. *knocks on wood*
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Olympik Voids!
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,999
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    You can see throughout the year shes slowly starting to get how to jump into it more in the takeoff. Her triple flip - my gosh if there is ever a leson to show someone how to turn a move from one of the ugliest moves in skating to one of the prettiest moves, its that skill alone. Not only are they correct technique now but they are beautiful! And big, and I see her holding landing edges more in the 4CC performances and she seems like with another 2 months of training would be ready to go even for Worlds. I just can't get over it. When someone with her level of spins can also start to bring the jumps to the same level the scores are going to be there.

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    11,193
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Actually both Zhang and Wagner are holdings their jump landings more which is nice to see.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    767
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    If she improved her 2A more, and maybe her 3F a bit as well, would 3F-3LO, 2A-3T, 3Z, 3F, 3LO, 3S, 2A-2-2 be a realistic possibility for her? Obviously in the short it would be much smarter tactically to go for 3LO-3LO, and risking one of her "money jump" triple loops in the LP to a downgrade is very risky, but that layout would be extremely competitive with pretty much anyone, even the young Russians and Mao.

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,615
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleflutz View Post
    If she improved her 2A more, and maybe her 3F a bit as well, would 3F-3LO, 2A-3T, 3Z, 3F, 3LO, 3S, 2A-2-2 be a realistic possibility for her? Obviously in the short it would be much smarter tactically to go for 3LO-3LO, and risking one of her "money jump" triple loops in the LP to a downgrade is very risky, but that layout would be extremely competitive with pretty much anyone, even the young Russians and Mao.
    If her double axel improves enough, probably. Though I think that next year, she'll probably incorporate the 3Lo-3Lo into her long as well. Maybe something like 3Lo-3Lo, 3F, 3Lz, 3F-2T-2Lo, 3S, 3T-2T, 2A in that situation? Or she could even move both of her flips to the second half of the program - that jump seems really solid for her now, and her fitness looks great too.

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    474
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleflutz View Post
    If she improved her 2A more, and maybe her 3F a bit as well, would 3F-3LO, 2A-3T, 3Z, 3F, 3LO, 3S, 2A-2-2 be a realistic possibility for her? Obviously in the short it would be much smarter tactically to go for 3LO-3LO, and risking one of her "money jump" triple loops in the LP to a downgrade is very risky, but that layout would be extremely competitive with pretty much anyone, even the young Russians and Mao.

    This would require her re-learning a 3 Sal

    Actually though I think her 3f 3t is better than her 2a 3t bc her flip has more flow; so a program layout like this would be more realistic (assuming she can get the sal back)....

    3S, 3f+3t, 3lz, 3lo+3lo(in the bonus?), 2a, 3lz+2t+2l, 2a...

    add in the same level 4 spins and level 3 footwork she got at 4CC and the ChSp and you're looking at 61.64 base technical. 3 points higher than Mao at 4CC and 6 points higher than Gracie at nationals.

    If she gains the same 8 points in GOE that she gained at 4CC, then the techincal is nearly 70 points. A technical score 4 points higher than the winning technical score at last year's world championships.

    Go Caroline!!

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,667
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I was very happy for Caroline's 4CC bronze and the tremendous improvements she has made to her overall skating. So many people had written her off. I'm pretty sure she will get 2 Grand Prix assignments now, and she won't have to go through Sectionals next season. I see her only going up from here.

    Yes, I would have been happier had she made the World team, but that's OK. There is always next year.

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    881
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Apparently Caroline has been practicing 3F-3T, including at 4CC, with some success too. I don't think it's realistic to expect her 2A to get enough flow to do a 2A-3T by next season. She really needs to regain her 3S, which she landed successfully in combination with a 2T at 4CC two years ago. She attempted the 3S last at Nationals 2011. I bet she's going to be working on her 3F-3T and 3S in the off season. I think a likely layout for next season will be:
    3F-3T
    3Z
    3S
    --------
    3R-3R
    3F-2T-2R
    2A
    2A

    with 3R-3R after the halfway mark. With a fairly early start to next season, I guess we'll see by the summer what she's planning.

    Go Caroline!

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,464
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm thrilled for Caroline and her fans, like Polymer Bob. I thought she should have beaten Czisny at nationals but I don't think the judges were about to let that happen. Next nationals, though, I suspect she'll get the benefit of the doubt if she hits and Czisny doesn't. Mostly though, I'm just so happy to see Caroline so happy. She looks like she's genuinely having the time of her life now and it's wonderful to witness.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    1,273
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    Apparently Caroline has been practicing 3F-3T, including at 4CC, with some success too. I don't think it's realistic to expect her 2A to get enough flow to do a 2A-3T by next season. She really needs to regain her 3S, which she landed successfully in combination with a 2T at 4CC two years ago. She attempted the 3S last at Nationals 2011. I bet she's going to be working on her 3F-3T and 3S in the off season. I think a likely layout for next season will be:
    3F-3T
    3Z
    3S
    --------
    3R-3R
    3F-2T-2R
    2A
    2A

    with 3R-3R after the halfway mark. With a fairly early start to next season, I guess we'll see by the summer what she's planning.

    Go Caroline!

    That would be an incredibly ambitious program. I don't see her trying more than one 3-3 in a LP. But it's wonderful to see that her jumping is coming together so well. Having different options in terms of 3-3s is a great thing.

    I'm sure that this has been mentioned, but I noticed that Caroline did not receive an edge call for her 3Lz at 4CC. She's improved, but not that improved! Still, it's great to see her landing a flutz consistently again.

  12. #32

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Age
    28
    Posts
    11,834
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    but I noticed that Caroline did not receive an edge call for her 3Lz at 4CC. She's improved, but not that improved! Still, it's great to see her landing a flutz consistently again.
    Asada and Wagner didn't get called out on their flutzes either. It was just a lenient caller.

    As a long time fan of Caroline, I'm so happy for her. She looks like she's actually enjoying skating. The turn around in most of her jumps is nothing short of phenomenal. She still needs to get the speed and power up, but that will come eventually (I hope, ).

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    908
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    I was very happy for Caroline's 4CC bronze and the tremendous improvements she has made to her overall skating.
    Well, I am very happy for her too. In fact, her changes are so significant that basically her jumps are unrecognizable: they are not much at all like they were in the past. When you look at her loop and her flip, isn't it incredible that she's getting some height on them?

  14. #34

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,533
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42165
    I'm so happy for Caroline.
    What a pleasure to see such good skating; and a happy, smiling young woman on the ice.
    I hope that she can build on this, and really be a force, next season.

  15. #35

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8,520
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7854
    I am so proud of Caroline. Two years ago, she was a broken skater, the jumps were gone and so was the love of skating that she had as a junior. She looked defeated. I cannot believe that she found the money to change her situation and keep going, that she dragged herself back up from the bottom of the elite skaters. Of course, great credit goes to Karen Kwan and Peter Oppegard. Whether or not anyone else changes to them, the example of her return success should be a good lesson for other struggling skaters that it is never too late to go back, to come up again, to survive, to believe in yourself. Perhaps no matter who the new coach is, one can do it if one tries hard enough. Outside of Ashley's determination at Nationals and 4CCs, Caroline takes an equal prize for Most Improved.

  16. #36

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Age
    64
    Posts
    625
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5912
    My hat is off to her - totally amazing. How she ever had the strength of character to keep going, I don't know. It seems to me it would be so much harder to go from being one of the "up and comings"only to face the discouragement and poor results of the last few years. She is an inspiration - she now knows what she is made of and can use that in others areas of her life.
    pug lover

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ainouta View Post
    If her double axel improves enough, probably. Though I think that next year, she'll probably incorporate the 3Lo-3Lo into her long as well. Maybe something like 3Lo-3Lo, 3F, 3Lz, 3F-2T-2Lo, 3S, 3T-2T, 2A in that situation? Or she could even move both of her flips to the second half of the program - that jump seems really solid for her now, and her fitness looks great too.
    Caroline's never done a solo 3t I think. A more likely layout would be:
    3lo-3lo
    3f
    3lz
    x 2a
    x 3f-2t-2lo
    x 3s-2t
    x 2a

    She's done 3s in combo in the past.

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,775
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Caroline's never done a solo 3t I think. A more likely layout would be:
    3lo-3lo
    3f
    3lz
    x 2a
    x 3f-2t-2lo
    x 3s-2t
    x 2a

    She's done 3s in combo in the past.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSr9lNt7K8M#t=3m13s

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,831
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Never was a fan but am now after this season. I had a fork stuck in her. She is a fighter. Not only did she plummet in the ranks, but she watched her close friend win a national championship, and go to the Olympics. That would be enough to kill anyone's spirit. To find the inspiration to go on and rework everything she had learned-she had to have been beside herself with her placements.

    In the long run, I think it was good for her to go through this journey. It can only make her stronger in every way, on and off the ice.

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,667
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    Man, that seems like 1,000 years ago.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •