Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    I think Jamie and Dave are being "realisitic" They said "it's not worth our time to do this for the price" Fans may not like it, but... if it costs them more to rent ice, coaching etc to get ready they they are going to make "taking something" is kind of "Take what you can get" is often not a sound business decision. If you can't get what it costs to cover your expenses time to move on. That's what it sounds like they are doing.
    I never saw SOI while Jamie and David were in it because of one (or two) major problems with SOI:

Over the years, the skating became crap and the tickets became too expensive, so I gave up on going to see it.

SOI used to be a fun tradition for me and my friends. We'd make a night of it with dinner out and then a walk downtown to the arena. I guess if the skating level had stayed "up there", then I wouldn't have a problem with paying lots of money to see it. However, I don't like paying to see so called "stars" skate worse than the kids at my rink. The tour stopped coming to my town, so I don't know if the quality has improved or not.

I wish Jamie and David luck. I just re-watched their 2002 Olympic performance and it still captivates me.

I used to live in Adam's curls, but he cut them - so now I'm homeless. =o(
    vCash
    David P had a partner? Jamie who?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bournekraatzfan View Post
    I would love to see CSOI each year, but again, I cannot afford to. I haven't been since 2008 (Jeff Buttle is one of favourite skaters of all time and I was thrilled to see him live and just off his WC victory!) I was hoping to attend this year, and am very sad that I won't get to see S&P. I just want them to be happy, though, and do what is best for their family.
    I know some FSUers here in Vancouver who go to the show every year, but I wouldn't enjoy that as the shows come to seem very much the same when you go year after year. Nothing new or novel. And the tickets aren't cheap.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckSk8r View Post
    They are also reaching a time when it will not be possible for Jesse to travel with them, as he will have school. Cutting back on the travel just makes sense.
    I was thinking the same things. One of those costs could be time away from their child. I'm still sad that they won't be there but wish them all the best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I know some FSUers here in Vancouver who go to the show every year, but I wouldn't enjoy that as the shows come to seem very much the same when you go year after year. Nothing new or novel. And the tickets aren't cheap.
    It would be cool to go as a group of FSUers, but yes, I have heard that it CSOI is growing stale. but I love show skating--I watch all the Disson skating specials--and would buy tickets if they were a little more affordable. Unfortunately, as you have noted, tickets aren't cheap. I would like to save up for Worlds in London if I am able to travel at that time, so I am not sure if I will attend CSOI this year.

vCash
    I found it interesting that Jamie said she was weary of being in cold rinks all the time - first time I've heard someone say that, but I can sure understand it.

Does anyone know what became of her and her BOTB partner (Craig Simpson I think?) I thought they became an item.

And what of the (rumoured) romance between Pelletier and Tessa V?

vCash
    Re: CSOI getting stale - they revamped the whole creative team this year, and it's led by Kurt Browning with help from Jeff Buttle, actor/dancer/director Geoffrey Tyler, and dancer Linda Garneau. I haven't seen the show yet (Seattle next week!) but from what I've heard, they've made a real effort to inject new choreography/concepts, and tie it together with a cohesive theme. Plus, I hear Kurt's demanding steps out of the skaters they wouldn't usually try to do. I wouldn't write it off just yet...

Re: not doing it because the offer wasn't high enough. I have to admit, I was rather disappointed to read this. I understand not wanting to tour because of your young child, or you're tired of travelling, or tired of being cold in rinks, but thinking the money was too low and undervaluing them on a tour that's clearly suffering financially (note no title sponsor) seems kind of short-sighted to me. I understand articles are edited and writers can play up angles but it seems like it wasn't a throwaway reason, it was their main reason for not doing SOI or CSOI this year.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    CSOI has a title sponsor, Investors Group, announced at the end of January, but that might not have been in time for the contract negotiations. The masthead also says, "Presented by Lindt".

If CSOI doesn't make it worth their while to skate, it's not like they have any responsibility to skating or CSOI to keep skating, just like Kim, the Russian, and the Japanese skaters have no obligation to come to North America when they can make a boatload of money at home. S/P have been at this for a decade, and they have a young child.

I always love to get together with FSUers, and while I found Stars on Ice stale, regardless of the material, I don't find watching Jeffrey Buttle, Joannie Rochette, and Shawn Sawyer stale at all, and V/M are a pleasure to see. Last year, Ando and Kozuka joined the tour at the Victoria/Vancouver end.

On the US tour, not that many skaters in the last five-six years appeal to me, and I only went when I was in Seattle and there was nothing else to do, mainly when they kicked off the main tour there the first week or ten days of January. The current schedule is in the middle of things.

Tessa Virtue is dating a competitive skier. After watching Battle of the Blades, I was hoping Pelletier would end up with Tessa Bonhomme, because I suspect she'd be the alpha in that relationship.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    In 2011, Sale & Pelletier were a great addition to the US tour of SOI. I went to 2010 SOI, and felt that the show was good, but not great. There was no pair team at the show I attended in 2010. However, the SOI 25th Anniversary Tour in 2011 was fantastic. I saw the show twice, and the skaters brought their A game to each show, especially Lysacek and Sale/Pelletier. With regard to ticket prices, the cheapest tickets were around $25, which is not very expensive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    CSOI has a title sponsor, Investors Group, announced at the end of January, but that might not have been in time for the contract negotiations. The masthead also says, "Presented by Lindt".
    Sorry, I was conflating CSOI and SOI (I'm pretty sure S&P were asked to do SOI as well as CSOI), but it is true they didn't announce the CSOI title sponsor until it's likely after the offer had been made to the skaters.

If CSOI doesn't make it worth their while to skate, it's not like they have any responsibility to skating or CSOI to keep skating,
    Of course not, as I said, I could understand if they didn't want to continue for any number of personal reasons. But there's a difference between "not worth their while" and saying that the offer was "lowball" and "undervaluing" them, which sounds more like they interpreted it as an insult and therefore didn't take the offer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    In 2011, Sale & Pelletier were a great addition to the US tour of SOI. I went to 2010 SOI, and felt that the show was good, but not great. There was no pair team at the show I attended in 2010. However, the SOI 25th Anniversary Tour in 2011 was fantastic. I saw the show twice, and the skaters brought their A game to each show, especially Lysacek and Sale/Pelletier. With regard to ticket prices, the cheapest tickets were around $25, which is not very expensive.
    I may attend the Toronto show, as there are still a few cheaper seats left ($38.75 with fees...not sure if that includes tax). The tickets I bought in the past were significantly more expensive, and I just don't have the $ to attend every year. I wish they had a student discount.

I think Jeff is a genius and I really liked the group choreography he did for last year's SOI (I watched on TV), and I can't imagine not loving any program he does. I also think Joannie, another of my favourites, has really come into her own, and she was awesome when I saw her live in 2008. and I would be over the moon if I could see Tessa and Scott live. I also love Kurt (both his skating and choreography), Shawn, and Cynthia. I wonder if Kozuka or Asada would do the Toronto show. and I am really hoping to see Chan. I really miss B&S and S&Z, but at least I was lucky enough to have seen them live at past SOI shows. Well, I look forward to hearing reports from the show, and hope I will be able to attend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I always love to get together with FSUers, and while I found Stars on Ice stale, regardless of the material, I don't find watching Jeffrey Buttle, Joannie Rochette, and Shawn Sawyer stale at all, and V/M are a pleasure to see. Last year, Ando and Kozuka joined the tour at the Victoria/Vancouver end.
    I also always love to get together with FSUers and really enjoyed doing that for CSOI last year (thanks to jo-jo who invited a bunch of us to join her in a company-paid box).

I enjoyed the show, but it seemed a bit like the last one I saw a few years ago. Maybe it would have been different if I'd been closer to the ice, but for me it wasn't exciting enough that I'd be willing to spend $100 on a ticket for the next one that comes to town.

vCash
    I've gone to Toronto SOI for about the last 10 years or so and I've always been happy. Mind you, we've had front-row, on ice seats for the last 6 years and that makes a HUGE difference. Since it's the one and only pricey event of the year, I don't care about the price.
    S/P have always been extraordinary show skaters. Jamie really sells it 110%, something that really stood out when David skated with Tessa Bonhomme on Battle of the Blades(she of course didn't know how). Being in the front row and shaking their hands at show's end is memorable. I finally had my big chance when David came up to us. Weee! Anticipation.... he shakes my hand and then zeros in on the little kid beside me, who gets a hug and conversation! David moves on and mom asks little kid who her favourite skater was. Little kid says she likes the funny clown (kurt) best. Grr! Is life fair? I told my friends that the following year we would borrow the neighbours kid for the show, cutest one we could find!
    I'll be very very sad when they stop performing but boy do I feel lucky to have seen what I have. I'd love a farewell show but the way things are with fs I don't see it happening. Ah for the days when skaters used to have specials!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post
    S/P have always been extraordinary show skaters. Jamie really sells it 110%, something that really stood out when David skated with Tessa Bonhomme on Battle of the Blades(she of course didn't know how).
    They were the highlight for me last time. Though I think David brings it 110% as well - he owned last season's BOTB and Tessa did really well because of it. I thought there win was totally deserving and was thrilled that the voters thought to so, as IMO Sandra Bezic came down hard on Tessa.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    They were the highlight for me last time. Though I think David brings it 110% as well - he owned last season's BOTB and Tessa did really well because of it. I thought there win was totally deserving and was thrilled that the voters thought to so, as IMO Sandra Bezic came down hard on Tessa.
    Totally agree. I didn't express that well. What I meant was that Jamie connects with those eyes and that grin with each person in the audience whereas David "presents" her beautifully to everyone. I was thrilled with them winning BOTB too. It has always been my fantasy to be a gazillion years younger, impossibly fit and flexible and a superb skater and to borrow David for just a while and skate with him. Sigh...........
    A reporter for the Toronto Star got to do something similar (She did death spirals with him) and she said she could now die happy.

vCash
    Surprise!!! Just continuing their tradition of WHINING

vCash
    Shame. A gorgeous team, regardless of all of the controversy. Absolutely breathtaking live. I'll sure miss seeing them at CSOI.

vCash
    Sale Pelletier video interview.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskati...tier-10-y.html

Towards the end they address the question of whether or not they plan to retire.

vCash
    Do we mean completely from Skating? They won't be on Tours? Be ready to not be Fans of a Team.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Everyone retires from their job eventually. Skaters generally retire from it earlier than "regular workers" in the "real world" due to the physical demands of the sport on the body; actually, most athletes in general retire from their career young (20s-40s). It isn't a personal insult to the fans who enjoy watching them; it is the natural progression in moving on with their lives.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12