Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Those were my two main spots as well, and I cried more when Katniss volunteered the second time than the first time!

I agree that the sense of time in the Games didn't feel authentic. When they're shooting the fireballs at her, the clock in the Command Center says that 3 days have passed. It didn't feel like three days at all. I didn't think to see what the center says at the end, however, for how much time was supposed to have passed.

I thought the actress who played Clove was the best overall actor of the Career Tributes, but I will say that it was really noticeable how much younger she was than the other three. I always pictured Clove as being larger and more ferocious in appearance. Isabelle Furhman can't be taller than 5'2" or so and was really tiny. I think the actress was 14 when she was cast.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    (Finally started reading the book....yeah, I tend to be behind the pop culture 8 ball)
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    But overall I really did like it. I just have a lot of nitpicks. And I'm ashamed (not that ashamed) to say that I not only cried like a baby when Rue died, but also when Katniss volunteered.
    Yeah, I started crying when Katniss volunteered. Abe was totally embarrassed that I was crying in the theatre...that is until he started crying when Rue died.

I'm with everyone who didn't think the District 11 riot scene made sense at all. Why they left out the loaf of bread...I have no idea because that was such a touching moment in the book.

Woody Harrellson didn't bother me...but I did think during the movie that he just seemed like himself, not necessarily Haymitch

Elizabeth Banks really surprised me. She really captured Effie to me. The people in the capital looked exactly how I pictured them in my head.

I was really happy with the movie. It was really just about the first time that a movie matched the image I had in my head from the book. I was a Jennifer Lawrence fan before, but I think I'm an uber now
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Elizabeth Banks was perfectly cast. I thought she would do a good job, but she was excellent. I didn't mine Harrelson, really - and both showings I went to, he got the most laughs, particular his comment to Effie about her clothes and the thumbs up he gave to Katniss after the pig. But I do think he should have been schwasted much more than he was. But I do think he was the weakest cast member in an otherwise fantastic cast.

I was a bit uncomfortable with the chemistry between Lenny Kravitz and Lawrence though. Did anyone else notice that? I thought he made a fantastic Cinna, but they just had loads and loads of chemistry, way more than she had with either Gale or Peeta. The comments he would make - "You made me like you" or the kisses on the forehead - just felt way more intimate than I had imagined in my head.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    TAnd I'm ashamed (not that ashamed) to say that I not only cried like a baby when Rue died, but also when Katniss volunteered.
    I cried like a baby when Rue died and my dd laughed at me. But I really was crying, not that sniffing you normally do at the movies. I'm not sure why it upset me that much. But it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    (Finally started reading the book....yeah, I tend to be behind the pop culture 8 ball)
    I deliberately waited until I saw the movie and now my kid won't let me read her book because she started it again and isn't finished with it. I may have to download it after all instead of waiting.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I cried like a baby when Rue died and my dd laughed at me. But I really was crying, not that sniffing you normally do at the movies. I'm not sure why it upset me that much. But it did.
    I was crying my eyes out both times. All my friends cried their eyes out. Both times I could hear people outright sobbing in the theater. It's a very upsetting death - don't worry about it!

The soundtrack? It is great. I love it. I've listened twice so far today!

vCash
    The movie has made about $240m this weekend worldwide. So I'd Say this series is off to a really good start.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash
    Allen- he only way I can rationalize the riot scene is to think that the man who started it was Rue's father but that is just an unfounded assumption on my part
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post

I was a bit uncomfortable with the chemistry between Lenny Kravitz and Lawrence though. Did anyone else notice that? I thought he made a fantastic Cinna, but they just had loads and loads of chemistry, way more than she had with either Gale or Peeta. The comments he would make - "You made me like you" or the kisses on the forehead - just felt way more intimate than I had imagined in my head.
    I noticed this too! The chemistry was through the roof between those two. I took Cinna to be gay in the book (maybe just stereotyping on my part) but he didn't come across that way in the movie at all because I thought he wanted to do her the whole time.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Lenny Kravitz can't help it, he's just sex on a stick no matter who he's with.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I didn't get any chemistry between Kravitz and Lawrence
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I didn't get any chemistry between Kravitz and Lawrence
    I did a little right before she went into the arena.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Yes, I got a lot of chemistry between Katniss and Cinna as well. Way more than with Peeta or Gale. Lenny was a fantastic Cinna. Loved every scene he was in!

Rue's death didn't even make we well up a little bit. I felt Stenberg's acting was a bit weak in that scene, and her death didn't make me have the reaction I thought it would. I didn't hear anyone else in the theater crying either.

I was ok with Harrelson as Haymitch and I'm willing to bet it was more mis-direction than mis-casting. He defintiely didn't act like the Haymitch in the book and I felt his character wasn't explained well beyond "mentor". Did they even say he was a previous victor?

I loved the Control Room scenes, the things you never got to see in the book. I'm *hoping* that since Suzanne Collins was so involved in the movie that that was her "vision" of how the Games were controlled and not someone's random idea.

I was very happy at really how closely they stayed to the book. Since you know the next two movies will be greenlighted because of the monster numbers Hunger Games opened with (and really, how could there have been doubt??) I'm hoping the next two movies will stay that close as well.

I'm really looking forward to seeing it again!

vCash
    I'm hoping Mockingjay is significantly altered from the novel. Watching Katniss being sedated ten times is going to get really

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I'm hoping Mockingjay is significantly altered from the novel. Watching Katniss being sedated ten times is going to get really
    And the plan seems to be for MJ to be 2 movies. I would think a lot of the stuff that happens behind the scenes in the book will have to be on screen in the movie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dancer72 View Post
    And the plan seems to be for MJ to be 2 movies. I would think a lot of the stuff that happens behind the scenes in the book will have to be on screen in the movie.
    I read that as well. Not sure how I feel about that.

vCash
    Yeah, I'm not sure how that's going to work. MJ is a long book but there's not a very good breaking point for another movie. The only one that I can think off the top of my head is

Spoiler

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    well, if they decide to film all the action that takes place while Katniss is napping, it would extend the story considerably
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I was ok with Harrelson as Haymitch and I'm willing to bet it was more mis-direction than mis-casting. He defintiely didn't act like the Haymitch in the book and I felt his character wasn't explained well beyond "mentor". Did they even say he was a previous victor?
    Yes, on the train to the capital Peeta expositions to Katniss, "He did win this thing once."

I'm not sure how I feel about Mockingjay being extended to two films as well. I don't think there's enough material unless, as noted, they film all the stuff that happens while Katniss is unconscious

vCash
    A coworker (who hadn't read the book) said he was disappointed in the movie. He said he didn't get any sense of undertones of social conscious he had heard the book had and he didn't understand why District 11 was rioting, as they had to expect their tributes would likely die. He also had no idea who the rebels might be and had no idea there was a

Spoiler

I've chosen not to see the movie. I don't do well with shaky cameras (nearly got sick during saving private ryan in theatres) and I hear there is a tribute who snaps anothers neck. I can't handle that. I have issues.

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast