Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast
    vCash
    I have actually read all three books.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    ^ The "you" in my post wasn't directed specifically at you ... it was just less pretentious sounding than saying "if one hasn't the books ..."

vCash

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    ....The National Geographic channel just ran a commercial for the National Geography Bee finals, and ended it with "May the geographic odds be ever in your favor."

I get it, kind of, twelve kids are chosen, only one can win, but...yeah.

vCash

I have bought most of the china glaze line for the Hunger Games. I looooooooove them
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    So I FINALLY finished the entire series. I knew it would take me less than a day to finish Mockingjay once I opened it but it took me over a year just to get to that point. I started the book the about 2:00 pm on Wednesday and was done by the same time on Thursday.

Why is this book so hated? I expected to be hating myself for even reading it based on what some people have said.

Is it:

Spoiler

Nevermind, I went through this very thread and read a lot of the spoiler tags that I avoided before. I wish I had not read them because honestly, the book sucks and now I realize it.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    For me a lot of stuff in that last book don't make much logical sense. I'm not gonna bother restating exactly why i do not like the book much, instead i would rather others read it and come to their own conclusions. But I will say that the epilogue is the very best part of the book. IMVHO

vCash
    I didn't hate the last book, though I read it at the speed of light the first time. But it did feel hastily written and kind of spitballed together - if you look closely, it gets worse. The second book was so well done (I am a sucker and did NOT see the tribute twist coming), I thought the wrap up was going to be spectacular.

What bothered me the most was how Katniss kept getting knocked out and we never got to experience the actual action. Her PTSD didn't bother me because it was consistent with the experiences.

vCash
    Probably because Mockingjay didn't have an actual Games in it to focus action around, it seemed to meander and lack focus. that's the main thing that bothered me. I should reread it to give it another chance.

vCash
    Why torment yourself that way?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    I didn't hate the last book, though I read it at the speed of light the first time. But it did feel hastily written and kind of spitballed together - if you look closely, it gets worse. The second book was so well done (I am a sucker and did NOT see the tribute twist coming), I thought the wrap up was going to be spectacular.

What bothered me the most was how Katniss kept getting knocked out and we never got to experience the actual action. Her PTSD didn't bother me because it was consistent with the experiences.
    This was kind of my problem with the last book, too. There were a lot of things that were great and authentic about it, but I felt like it needed to be a less rushed toward the end. Maybe another 50 pages would have done the trick.

vCash
    Finally watched the movie with my nephews this past Black Friday weekend--really enjoyed it, and think skaters should skate to the music. Got me interested in borrowing the books. Just finished the first book. Can I say I am utterly enthralled with Peeta? LOVE. HIM.

I'm sad that the last book apparently sucks. But I will read it. I have to start the second one now, although it's past midnight...
    Last edited by manhn; 11-29-2012 at 09:10 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I'm sad that the last book apparently sucks.
    I didn't dislike it....

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I'm sad that the last book apparently sucks.
    It didn't suck. It just wasn't perfect. It felt as though it had been rushed to publication to capture on the popularity, without giving the author time to fully iron out all the kinks. So not the ideal way to end the trilogy, but it wasn't terrible at all.

Now a lot of übers thought the very ending/epiloge did suck (think Team Peeta vs. Team Gale) ... but that's a whole 'nother issue.

vCash
    I had heard that the author planned only two books but the publisher forced her into #3. So that'd be one reason Mockingjay wasn't as good or didn't "feel" right.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    I've never heard that...since when do people turn down the opportunity to make twice as much money by splitting the books up? Unless you're Tolkien's publisher, of course. But that was a different circumstance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    I've never heard that...since when do people turn down the opportunity to make twice as much money by splitting the books up? Unless you're Tolkien's publisher, of course. But that was a different circumstance.
    I don't think it was a "splitting up the stories" deal, I think she meant to end it at the end of Catching Fire?
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    It didn't suck.
    You are correct. It sucked a lot.

Now a lot of übers thought the very ending/epiloge did suck (think Team Peeta vs. Team Gale) ... but that's a whole 'nother issue.
    I was Team Neither, though I didn't like book Peeta (I like the movie character more), and I just thought the ending was ridiculous.

vCash
    The ending was the only part of that book I did like. The rest of it sucked.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    You are correct. It sucked a lot.

I was Team Neither, though I didn't like book Peeta (I like the movie character more), and I just thought the ending was ridiculous.
    I'm astonished that there are still people who didn't listen to us. We told them the book sucked. A lot. And they just didn't listen. Sad. They must have all been students who didn't listen to their teachers either.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast