Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    See now, of the HP movies I have seen (disclaimer: not all of them), I think Cuaron's is far and away the best.

I also think his Little Princess is an absolute masterpiece, so I say thumbs to him from me.
    I agree. I know some HP purists who want the movies to stick the books don't like his PoA but I love how he made a movie that stands on its own as a movie while keeping to the spirit of the book. It's my favorite HP movie.

And I agree about his Little Princess too.

He just has a great touch when it comes to these so-called "childrens" books that appeal to more than children.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    Well, I think you loath BAD CGI, right? Because with good CGI, you technically aren't supposed to know it's being used.
    maybe you're not supposed to, but you generally can always tell it's there.

I will admit - the CGI on the flames during the chariot ride could have been better. But I dislike heavy CGI films...I'd rather see old school special effects, even if the wires sometimes show
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    ...I'd rather see old school special effects, even if the wires sometimes show
    Give me puppet Yoda any day over CGI Yoda!

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Can you imagine what Raiders of the Lost Ark would look like if it was made today?!?
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Can you imagine what Raiders of the Lost Ark would look like if it was made today?!?

I hate CGI. Okay, I don't HATE it, I hate it when movies rely on it to the point you can't think of anything but how unrealistic the animals look (George and Steven) or how fake the backgrounds look (George) or when you can really tell that the actors are talking to tennis balls on sticks (GEORGE!) One thing I loved about J.J. Abrams's "Star Trek" is they went with as many physical sets and in-film visual tricks as possible so it deliberately wouldn't look like actors on a green screen talking to tennis balls. I think one reason the CGI flames are a little off (besides that perhaps they wanted the in-story fake fire to look like fake fire) is it's one scene where a LOT of the background is clearly CGI as well so the whole suspension of disbelief is off.

Oh, God...my worst nightmare for director: George Lucas. Thank God he's not really directing any more. I love me some Star Wars, and he did somewhat redeem himself with Revenge of the Sith, but oh lord, that would be bad.

vCash
    What about Steven Soderberg? I just read he did the riot scene so he is not unfamiliar with the movie. I like CGI but too much of a good thing... Wrath of the Titans had all kinds of special effects but very little in way of storyline.

vCash
    Here is an article which talks about the conflict between X-Men and Catching Fire.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...awrence-311018
    Last edited by Buzz; 04-12-2012 at 02:23 AM.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Um, i think you missed a link there, Buzz.

vCash
    Sorry fixed that.

vCash
    Oh my! The price of fame. LOL Alexander Ludwig ( a.k.a. Cato) was seen leaving an 21 & over bar so now the bar is under investigation. Oops...
    http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/12...-investigation

vCash
    Is it weird that I'm happy for Lawrence that she has studios fighting over her. She's clearly hitting the big time... And good for her, she's a wonderful young actress. They have the screen writer of Slumdog Millionaire working on Catching Fire, so it should be good. I'm curious who will play President Coin coming up up, hopefully they will get someone really good like Meryl Streep, Glen Close (I can see that etc). Obviously the role is really for Mockingjay but I wonder if whoever they pick can do a quick introduction in Catching Fire.
    Last edited by bek; 04-12-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Sexy Superhero
    vCash
    For some reason, I keep picturing Nana Visitor for President Coin. Based on her role in Dark Angel, I really think she could pull it off.

vCash
    I would love Glenn Close in the role SO MUCH.

But for now I'm most curious about who will play Finnick and Johanna.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    My daughter wants Matt Boner for Finnick. Having now seen him on Glee, I understand where she's coming from.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    My daughter wants Matt Boner for Finnick. Having now seen him on Glee, I understand where she's coming from.
    i totally understand where that freudian slip comes from, he's adorable
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I must say though nothing annoys me more than those who are arguing these books should be banned because they "promote violence" I can't help feeling anyone who thinks the book actually promotes children killing children hasn't actually read the book or watched the movie. Its presented as very wrong. I wouldn't have a young child read these books, but I actually think older children need to learn about the issues that the Hunger Games presents. I'd rather have my kids read things like this than a lot of what is on tv/books.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I must say though nothing annoys me more than those who are arguing these books should be banned because they "promote violence" I can't help feeling anyone who thinks the book actually promotes children killing children hasn't actually read the book or watched the movie. Its presented as very wrong.
    I think this may be due to one of two reasons:

1. People read the books but missed the point. After all, there were idiotic readers who were upset that black actors were cast as Rue and Thresh.

2. As you suggested, perhaps some critics haven't read the books, but are sure they know everything about them from reading a blurb or watching the movie trailer. We saw a similar phenomenon with the media coverage of 50 Shades of Grey, which apparently promotes violence against women (there are many criticisms that can be leveled at 50 Shades, but that isn't really one of them).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    He's 10 years too old, though he is massively pretty Then again, Lawrence is 5 years too old for Katniss, so it would make sense to cast an actor in his late twenties or early thirties.

This article
    has a poll with Ryan Kwanten winning. He's massively pretty, too

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    He's 10 years too old, though he is massively pretty Then again, Lawrence is 5 years too old for Katniss, so it would make sense to cast an actor in his late twenties or early thirties.

This article
    has a poll with Ryan Kwanten winning. He's massively pretty, too
    ...That's him in the picture with the article? Bring on the fishing net costume...

vCash
    This is a picture of him that immediately made me think of that costume

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast