Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

vCash
    Finally saw the movie today, and it is one of the few movies I've ever seen that actually lived up to the massive hype. I must now re-read The Hunger Games.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    And will you cry again ?
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    I just finished re-reading all three books. I cried. When katniss yells at the cat in the last book.

vCash
    Just finished book two and I must say it is a refreshing change for the girl to be the one who has to rescue the boy. LOL

EDITED TO ADD:
    Looks like the director Gary Ross will not be returning.
    http://ca.eonline.com/news/hunger_ga...ry_ross/306966
    Last edited by Buzz; 04-07-2012 at 03:23 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    Finally saw the movie today, and it is one of the few movies I've ever seen that actually lived up to the massive hype. I must now re-read The Hunger Games.
    I would agree. I really liked the movie, although I agree with the complaints about the shaky camera-work. (I hope the new director doesn't go that route.) The acting was all spot-on. I didn't have a problem with Harrelson as Haymitch. Obviously a lot had to be cut out from the book, but they got the essential pieces in and got them right. I went with two friends, one who had read the books and one who hadn't, and we all enjoyed it. The one who hadn't read the books said it all made sense even without reading the books, which was one thing I wondered...some things were pretty subtle. And for such a long movie, I wasn't looking at my watch very often, which is always a good sign.

vCash
    Still haven't gotten around to seeing the movie (will probably see it on DVD at this point), but finished the 2nd book and have started book 3. For some reason, I can't get into the 3rd one, probably partially b/c I gave in and looked at the spoilers. I will probably see it through and read it all the way through, though. Just don't really like the direction it went.

vCash
    Have to admit I spoiled myself but since I know where the book is heading and approve I am loving book 3. A refreshing change from Mr. George Martin and his explicit sexual content. I am sooooooo routing for Katniss and Peeta!

vCash
    The second book has so much re-capping of what happened in the first! It is driving me nuts. Surely, you would not be reading the second book if you hadn't read the first would you? Did she really need to remind the reader of such major events? So constantly? It's so aggravating and it's taking me out of the story.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Michalle View Post
    Surely, you would not be reading the second book if you hadn't read the first would you?
    Wasn't she kind of an unknown author when she wrote it? The publishers may have made her do that because if Hunger Games hasn't exploded into "the next big thing" it is possible people may have picked up the second without knowing about the first.

Think of the BabySitters club. I think I read a hundred of those books. EVERY SINGLE ONE told me that Claudia likes to eat junk food and Stacy has diabetes and great fashion sense.

Publishers do not have great faith in the young adult market to recall details.

(Even the second Harry Potter recapped a bit. Once it got big- she stopped.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Wasn't she kind of an unknown author when she wrote it? The publishers may have made her do that because if Hunger Games hasn't exploded into "the next big thing" it is possible people may have picked up the second without knowing about the first.
    No, not even close. Suzanne Collins wrote for all manner of successful television shows, writer of The Underland Chronicles series (also NYT Best Sellers), and the head writer for the Clifford the Dog series. Scholastic knew Hunger Games was gold from the planning stages.

As for recapping, that is considered good telling. It's also a way to spin information already known in a slightly different way, foreshadowing what's coming up in the next installment.

I do think there's a big difference between the Babysitters Club and Harry Potter and Hunger Games. All the Babysitters Club novels except maybe three or four are stand-alone. They are written under the assumption that teenage girls will pick them up, read them for a year, two at the most, and a new generation will start on book # 15, or #48 or #103. They have to be recapped. Harry Potter and Hunger Games build and are with a build-up to a definite ending, so recapping in the same way in every book is not as necessary.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I read all 3 books one after the other over the course of 2 day and I didn't notice a lot of recapping.

Maybe my brain really is swiss cheese after all.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Just wish we could get a to see what happened to Peeta while captive in the Capitol. I don't think it is enough to just say he was tortured.

vCash
    I read each book as it was released, so it was nice to have a bit of recapping. I didn't find it excessive, that I recall.

I just hated Mockingjay. As I have stated before.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Just finished book two and I must say it is a refreshing change for the girl to be the one who has to rescue the boy. LOL

EDITED TO ADD:
    Looks like the director Gary Ross will not be returning.
    http://ca.eonline.com/news/hunger_ga...ry_ross/306966
    Hmmm the second two movies will be harder to make, I think. But I really liked Ross' work.

But whatever, I'll see them all no matter how bad they are. I'm reading the Overlanders series now, but I'm not sure I really like it.

vCash
    I finally saw the Hunger games today. It's very entertaining and very well made. I have not read the books, but I am tempted to, now. I don't see how the sequel can outdo the original in this case. I guess there would be a love triangle, but it will be tough to match the original. JMO.

vCash
    I don't really understand what you mean by "the sequel can outdo the original". Do you mean the second book?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    I don't really understand what you mean by "the sequel can outdo the original". Do you mean the second book?
    I meant if they made a sequel based on book #2

vCash
    I don't know...I think Catching Fire and Mockingjay have the potential to be really, really, REALLY great films if they are handled correctly. I don't think Gary Ross did them any favors with the minimal set-up in the HG movie (they don't clearly articulate the fact that Peeta really gets his heart broken by Katniss and it's the source of a LOT of tension between them later on). Catching Fire in particular I think would make a great film, although if you think Hunger Games felt rushed, Catching Fire is going to feel twice as rushed because it has the span of a whole year and there is literally never a dull moment, lol.

But anyway, CF has the introduction of some GREAT characters and some pretty intense scenarios, and of course the Quarter Quell arena is going to be out of this world. And honestly, the Quarter Quell is going to be JUST as intense as the 74th Games because A.) crazy arena and B.) the majority of the tributes are adults. I think Katniss and Peeta are the youngest ones there. Since we're dealing with adults and not kids, the filmmakers can afford to be a little less cautious in how they deal with the violence and still get a PG-13.

vCash
    Finished book 3 and it is most definitely a worthwhile read. LOVED the end with Buttercup showing up.

vCash
    Catching Fire is my favorite of the 3. I'm hoping they do it justice. It's still really not about a love triangle. And it brings in a whole different dimension to what is going on in their world that is only hinted at in the first book/movie.

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast