Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    vCash

Spoiler

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    yeah, there's no need for talk about that in the first film. It actually makes for a better surprise later, as in the books you knew it was coming eventually.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash

Spoiler

I am most concerned about the shaky-cam thing. I might have time Wednesday night to see it at the theater near the competition hotel I'll be at, but I have been known to get motion sick from shaky cam...

vCash
    it's Blair Witch level shaky cam, but only for short bursts
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash

Thumbs down

I haven't seen it yet...I might go this weekend if I can find some time.

I don't like the fact that they are splitting the last book into two movies. In certain cases I think two movies is necessary. I didn't mind it so much in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows mainly because so much stuff happens in that final book...and what's even more shocking is that they still had to cut a lot. In this case, I thought splitting it into two movies was justified.

I think splitting Breaking Dawn into two movies was done purely to milk more money out of the people. For one thing, the book itself droned on for about 400 pages longer than it needed to only to end with absolutely nothing happening. I'm assuming the end will be changed considerably...

I'd have preferred it if they didn't split Mockingjay. I think a 2.5 hour movie would be enough time to cover what happens in that final book but Hollywood is all about milking as much money out of people as they can so I can't say I'm surprised. I think it's unnecessary.

vCash
    I did not realize Jennifer Lawrence is from my hometown (Louisville, KY). That is very cool.

vCash
    Is it official that the last film is being split? From what I read in EW, I thought it was still under consideration.

vCash
    Still being discussed, last I saw.

vCash
    So I saw the movie again yesterday, and here are my revised thoughts regarding the ending:

Spoiler

One thing about HG making tons of money that makes me super happy is that CF and MJ are likely to have a dramatically increased budget compared to HG. Which is great, because they're going to need it. The horizons are greatly expanded in the next two books and 80mil isn't going to cut it. Especially in CF with all the different districts and an arena that just screams high tech and man-made...pretty sure all arena footage will have to be shot on a sound stage or some place very exotic. Not much in the way of jungles here. Maybe they'll pack up and film in Hawaii for awhile? :p

On another note, I'm re-reading the Hunger Games again, and I'm reminded of one of my small pet-peeves with the books, which is how incredibly self-aware Katniss is to the point of it being absurd. I know most of that is just a byproduct of the style of writing; Katniss is our ears and eyes so she HAS to make an observation on everything for the sake of the audience. But still, it is one thing about the books that I don't miss at all in the movie. Not having a running commentary in Katniss's head allows us to see her from a purely third-person perspective and judge her on OUR terms. And she comes off much more vulnerable and less...cocky? I dunno if it's the right word but anyway, I do like the movie's interpretation of her in this instance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post

Spoiler

Ugh, I certainly hope not.

Spoiler

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Ugh, I certainly hope not.

Spoiler

Spoiler

vCash
    This make believe world reminds me of the old Stalinist era USSR. The abject poverty and deprivation to be found most everywhere is in stark contrast to the relative oppulence of the capitol. Plus there is also the similarity in the lack of ability to travel between the different districts or republics. Before WW2 the USSR had 12 republics and only became 15 after the war.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    WHY would District 11 start rioting in the middle of the Hunger Games? They had to have known that at least one of their tributes was going to die, and while Rue's demise was devastating to us, I don't think it qualifies in the frame of the games as a particularly nasty or unfair death. A stupid, useless change.
    I haven't read the book, but my interpretation of the riot was that the Hunger Games were a tightly controlled event to keep the general populace docile and subservient.

The tributes in the Hunger Games are expected to do what they are told: kill everyone. Based on the restlessness and looking around while the District 1/2(?) and Peeta alliance tried to sleep, it seemed that alliances formed during the Games were tenuous at best, and served only to carry a group to the final where they would turn on each other.

Then along comes Katniss and Rue, who actually seemed to care for each other as people rather than competitors. I'm guessing that Katniss' actions were unprecedented among Hunger Games tributes, and that previous tributes did not pay respects or care about the fallen.

Katniss' efforts to show genuine compassion were totally against the self-preservation, survival, and bloodlust expected of the tributes in the Games. Combined with the emotional death of Rue, District 11 sees Katniss' actions as one of free will and defiance, therefore spurring them to action. JMHO.

vCash
    ^^ Well I haven't seen the movie yet but I have read the books. I'm assuming they threw a District riot in as a precursor to what we'll see in Catching Fire; it's that initial spark that leads to the rebellion that is born from Katniss' actions in the games...kind of like a little lead-in for Catching Fire...

As for the love "triangle", IIRC, the director says it's not main focus in the films...more of a running subplot and I hope they stick to that b/c that's how it is in the books too. Katniss is much more concerned with staying alive than she is with having a boyfriend, though I do agree that the marketing for the next movie will probably feature the infuriating Team Gale/Team Peeta bullsh*t...that's SO annoying.

As I said before, there's no comparison b/w Peeta and Gale. You get why she has affection for Gale but Peeta is the visible one and the one you get to know throughout. I think fans of the movie like the idea of seeing Jennifer Lawrence with Liam Hemsworth (sp?) so that will cause a good amount of screaming and shipping for the Katniss/Gale relationship.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    it's Blair Witch level shaky cam, but only for short bursts
    Why did I not realize this ahead of time... those short bursts were enough to ruin it for me; I'm super-sensitive to shaky cam. I wish they hadn't done it - I don't see why it was needed (at least in Blair Witch it made sense)

I did like what little I saw of it, and I went with a friend who had free tickets, so it wasn't all bad

vCash
    Slightly off topic but The Hunger Games have inspired a new fitness craze. LOL Feel like training like tribute? Now you can.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I do agree that the marketing for the next movie will probably feature the infuriating Team Gale/Team Peeta bullsh*t...that's SO annoying.
    Time to break out my Team Shut Up merchandise.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    I find it hard to believe that anyone who actually read the books would be on Team Gale.

Then again, I find it hard to believe that anyone who read the books would really care. Katniss choosing between the two barely mattered, and she certainly had more important things on her mind.

I'll Check my collar, collar, hey, hey, ey
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    But overall I really did like it. I just have a lot of nitpicks. And I'm ashamed (not that ashamed) to say that I not only cried like a baby when Rue died, but also when Katniss volunteered.
    I cried at these same moments and I am not a movie cryer. Rue got me the most. The little girl who played her was perfect for the part. It was close to what I imagined when first reading the books.

I loved both the books and the movie. I'm already looking forward to Catching Fire. I cannot wait to see who plays Finnick.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sodapop View Post

I loved both the books and the movie. I'm already looking forward to Catching Fire. I cannot wait to see who plays Finnick.
    I can't wait to see Finnick, either! He better be and half naked.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast