Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marge_Simpson View Post
    I wish I could figure out how to unsubscribe from the Hunger Games site I signed up at. I got put into District 8, btw. I keep getting email from President Snow, and now that the movie is about to open, I am getting messages from Seneca Crane as well. Oh, well, he will be dead soon.
    LOL...Too funny!

I have only read the 1st book so far and am looking forward to seeing the movie & reading the 2nd book.

My curiosity is really piqued about Battle Royale after reading the comments here. My Netflix streaming option doesn't have it (among other movies I had looked for ). Going to have to see if I can rent it somewhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    That means you'll side with PL and me.

I most definitely do side with you and PL

Catching Fire was great. I loved it. Mockingjay on the other hand. Ridiculous.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

Re-registered User
    vCash
    The Hunger Games was a great, entertaining read. I think it is going to be an even better movie.

Catching Fire was a decent sequel. Mockingjay, on the other hand...has anyone else seen the Monty Python episode Bicycle Tour? There is a scene where they are in front of a firing squad, counting down to fire, and then it cuts to 30 minutes later, and they are continuing their tour, with no explanation of how they escaped. That is how Mockingjay was. Even in the Hunger Games, Collins dealt with the set-up to the climax better than she did the climax itself, and by the time she wrote Mockingjay I think she'd just given up.

I read it all in about 4 days, but it won't be a book like Ender's Game, that I return to and reread every few years.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    That's a coincidence; I only just found out about the planned movie version of Ender's Game today, and I'm super excited, especially with the great cast. I just wish I had my copy don here so I could delve into it again.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    I only just found out about the planned movie version of Ender's Game today, and I'm super excited, especially with the great cast.
    I'm interested to see how it turns out, but not excited about the Ender's Game movie. The cast looks great but almost all the things that happen in the book require you to be inside Ender's head, with his insight into his motives and I just can't imagine how difficult the screenplay would be to write and do the story justice.

Hunger Games on the other hand, seems tailor made for the big screen. Katniss is completely moved by external events, and the only conflict of her inner voice is which boy she cares for, and that won't be difficult to portray.

The sets of Enders Game should be quite boring except for the battle room, and Hunger Games should be amazing.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    I just finished the 3rd book. I enjoyed the first 2 much more than the last. They kept my interest but I mostly finished the last book just for the sake of finishing the series. I am looking forward to the movie though.
    When you change the way you look at things, everything you look at changes.

vCash
    Wheee, I have my ticket for the movie! 12:20 AM I'm excited!
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Wheee, I have my ticket for the movie! 12:20 AM I'm excited!
    Nice! I have a ticket for 12:01! Can't wait!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    Nice! I have a ticket for 12:01! Can't wait!
    Are you going to the iMax showing at Rave Cinemas? I plan on buying tickets this week (that showing hasn't sold out yet), and if you are we might have to meet up for a bit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Are you going to the iMax showing at Rave Cinemas? I plan on buying tickets this week (that showing hasn't sold out yet), and if you are we might have to meet up for a bit
    I'm going to Quality 16. Unfortunately the IMAX is kind of a migraine trigger for me. But we should meet up some time before I'm done with school in April.

vCash
    I thought this New York Times article was an interesting read the other day (includes a video): How ‘Hunger Games’ Built Up Must-See Fever

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I was in Chapters on Saturday and it seemed like every available square centimetre of wall space was taken up with some kind of movie-tie-in version of the book or related merch. I'm a fan of the book, and looking forward to the movie (tho not in the 1st few days, and definitely not in Imax!) ... but I abhor that kind of mega-marketing. For anything.

Almost enough to make me ... almost, but not quite!

Anyway, those of you who will be going on the opening night, enjoy. I'll follow along at my own middle-aged pace.

vCash
    It was filmed here in Charlotte and surrounding areas. Looking forward to seeing this.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I'm going to see the Hunger Games this Sat at 11pm at an IMAX theater. Just saw that Battle Royale is playing at an arthouse theatre on Fridays this month ... maybe I'll go on the 23rd to prepare for the Big! American! Version!
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    All this talk about Hunger Games makes me want to read it. If I do will I regret it like after I read Twlight (I wanted to poke my eyes out after reading that book).

Carol

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Just saw that Battle Royale is playing at an arthouse theatre on Fridays this month ...
    I also see that the Battle Royale "Collection" is being released on DVD/BluRay on Thursday. I can't do subtitles on the big screen -- aside from the visual distance between the text and the action, I need to have the option to rewind if I miss anything.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CDANN1013 View Post
    . If I do will I regret it like after I read Twlight (I wanted to poke my eyes out after reading that book).
    No. You might be disappointed by the third book, but The Hunger Games is a fast, easy, entertaining read. I couldn't read more than a page of Twilight.

vCash
    Twilight is revoltingly terrible.

The Hunger Games has some grammatical issues, and some plot issues as well, but there's no comparison to the utter piece of tripe that is Twilight. It's way more mature and significantly better-paced. Not to mention that Katniss is a great heroine and Bella is possibly the worst heroine I have ever encountered.

I haven't really met anyone who hated THG the way so many people hate Twilight.

vCash
    I have objections to how the story ended, but Suzanne Collins overall is a MUCH better writer than Stephenie Meyers. She also soundly trounces Meyers in the creating a believable unbelievable world.

IIRC, they do have one thing in common--both writers originally intended for their books to be duets, and were encouraged (in Meyer's case, I believe the correct verb would be 'strong-armed') by their publishers to string the story out.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Really? That surprises me because of Collins' background as a playwright or screenplay-writer, can't remember which. What I do remember is that she carefully plans her story out over 3 Acts, with 9 chapters each for 27 chapters, so I'm a little baffled to hear that she let a company encourage her into stringing out the story longer than she intended. Though, I can see how the second two books would have been better if they'd been shorter and combined. Did they make her add Gale, too, or was that her idea? I still think Gale's a completely unnecessary character.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast