Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Bear more children (esp. girls). Recruit more people from outside Canada (Get Paulina Whovever--any of the Paulinas!). Bribe Joannie to return to competitive skating.

Canada's population is A LOT smaller than Japan, Russia and the US. Canada won't have the same depth in one discipline (although dance is strong at the moment) or across all disciplines (although Japan's pairs and ice dance programs are weak).

I have no idea what Robinson and esp. 3-time World Champion Stokjo has to do with it. Both are skaters who did the best they did with what they had. To me, if I saw that with Canadian ladies and we got the same results, I'd be okay with it.
    Okay, reading this I just discovered the main difference between the American and Canadian ladies programs. Nobody makes 100 excuses for American ladies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Okay, reading this I just discovered the main difference between the American and Canadian ladies programs. Nobody makes 100 excuses for American ladies.
    You may believe that but I find Americans certainly put a great deal of pressure on the "next skating princess", usually have extremely high expectations of them regardless of how good they actually are compared to the rest of the world.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Why bring up the peculiar things Americans do? We are discussing the standing ovations and million excuses Canadians give for their ladies' shortcomings throughout history.

I have never heard anyone blame Caroline Zhang's falls on her having naturally curvy hips or Alissa Czisny's 22nd place at worlds on her not having the same advantages that the Japanese ladies have in terms of public interest in the sport.

I think the Canadians tend to make unnecessary excuses for their ladies. You have the talent. Encourage the talent to compete. You spend a lot of time picking "The One" or "The Great Hope" and and fawning over that one even when she finishes 10th at Worlds. Canadians undervalue competition among ladies. This is what makes them better and stronger. Let your talent rise to the challenge and stop the excuses.

I'm sure the truth is Canada does a pretty impressive job in its skating program, but the fans and Canadian media discourage their ladies by being all soggy and sappy about them constantly.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 01-22-2013 at 01:51 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Why bring up the peculiar things Americans do? We are discussing the standing ovations and million excuses Canadians give for their ladies' shortcomings throughout history.

I have never heard anyone blame Caroline Zhang's falls on her having naturally large hips or Alissa Czisny's 22nd place at worlds on her not having the same advantages that the Japanese ladies have in terms of public interest in the sport.

I think the Canadians tend to make unnecessary excuses for their ladies. You have the talent. Encourage the talent to compete. You spend a lot of time picking "The One" or "The Great Hope" and and fawning over that one even when she finishes 10th at Worlds. Canadians sometimes undervalue that competition among ladies is what makes every one of them better. Let your talent rise to the challenge and stop the excuses.

I'm sure the truth is Canada does a pretty impressive job in its skating program, but the fans and Canadian media discourage their ladies by being all soggy and sappy about them constantly.
    Because you brought up what you think is the difference between American and Canadian ladies as a slam against Canadian ladies skating. I saw things a bit differently.

Last I checked we don't give a million excuses as to why our women don't do as well as some other countries. What I do see is people trying to figure out how things have been in years past and how they seem to be taking a turn for the better in Canadian ladies skating, and are pleased by it.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    lol no one is really giving too many excuses for our Canadian ladies.......for the most part they just suck...until now with at least 4 promising up and comers.

Other than Joannie and Cynthia we've had no one good for a looooooong time, I'm not making any excuses for the rest of the ladies, they all just sucked. I've been to many competitions and all the coaches can talk about is the crappy ladies, no one was making excuses for them, they just accepted it.

Some of us Canadians are frank and don't make excuses, you know

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910