Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

My cat may be sick.

My cat, Runcible has stopped eating his dry food. He only had a couple of tablespoons of canned food today and a few licks of water. He hasn't been active and has slept on a chair (not his usual spot) all day. And he hasn't used his litter box all day. And ideas?

a monkey stole my title
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiralgraph View Post
    My cat, Runcible has stopped eating his dry food. He only had a couple of tablespoons of canned food today and a few licks of water. He hasn't been active and has slept on a chair (not his usual spot) all day. And he hasn't used his litter box all day. And ideas?
    Call a vet. There are many reasons why cats may stop eating but you'd need blood tests, etc to know for sure.

vCash
    He could have a blockage, either bowel or bladder. I would get him to a vet immediately. Trust your instincts!

vCash
    Check for dehydration. Pinch a small amount of skin on the back of his neck. If the skin immediately slides back into place the cat is hydrated. If the skin doesn't slide back or tends to stay is a slightly pinched position...get your cat to the vet right away. He's dehydrated and will need an a subcutaneous injection to restore his body's moisture balance.

Does he feel warm? Are his ears cold to the touch or do they feel warmer than normal? In any case have him checked out by a vet as soon as possible. Often cats don't act sick until they are really very sick and in need of immediate veterinary attention. Good luck.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Poor kitty. Hope you get it checked out and he is alright!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Call the vet. Usually when a cat is lethargic and/or feverish, that's the first sign of an illness. ESPECIALLY when they don't eat or use the litter box. The latter is definitely more serious.

My roommate's kitten did not move from a spot on the carpet for an entire day and her belly was burning up, and that's when I called the vet. Just needed some oral antibiotics and she was as good as new.

There's always a danger of UTI, especially for male cats. When male cats get one, it can lead to a blockage which can turn deadly very quickly. Like, the next day. So if Runcible has really stopped peeing, he needs to go to the vet right away!

My cat Mickey was peeing outside the litter box, but whenever the vet examined him, it was only a "few blood cells" and didn't warrant serious worry. I figured better safe than sorry and I only feed him wet food now. Cats are desert animals and usually don't drink enough water, since they're used to getting it from their food. Since canned food is such a waste of packaging, I cut it up from raw chicken myself using a recipe by a vet I found online. He is so spoiled, but UTIs and vet visits are definitely no fun!

If he can take it, try giving him a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to help him with any current potential UTIs. But definitely call the vet too!

vCash
    The rule of thumb I follow is:
    not eating or eating and throwing up : ok for 24 hours, then call the vet
    Not drinking/not using the litter box: call the vet

Hope your kitty gets well soon!

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Vet. Now. One big thing it could be, especially if he's a male, is a urinary blockage. Those are no joke (as I found out, to the tune of a $600 hospitalization for my big male so he could be catheterized.)

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Vet. Now. One big thing it could be, especially if he's a male, is a urinary blockage. Those are no joke (as I found out, to the tune of a $600 hospitalization for my big male so he could be catheterized.)
    This happened to one of mine too. Hope your kitty is fine .. or that it's something that's easily fixed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    The rule of thumb I follow is:
    not eating or eating and throwing up : ok for 24 hours, then call the vet
    Not drinking/not using the litter box: call the vet
    I do the same. A slight intestinal upset will usually pass within 24 hours.

vCash
    I have an update on Runcible. He's in an Animal Hospital, with a fever. They're not sure what's wrong with him yet. One of the possibilities could be cancer..
    I think I'm in shock, I've only had him two months. Any good thoughts and wished would be greatly appreciated.

vCash
    Poor kitty! For what it's worth, I thought my roommate's kitten was dying since she hadn't eaten or moved for an entire day and she had quite the fever...but all it took was some antibiotics and she got well very quickly.

Hopefully it's something really minor! Is he an older cat?

vCash
    I got him from a shelter and he's probably only 3 or 4 years old. This happened so fast, two days ago he seemed fine.

Going on diet soon
    vCash
    ((Runcible)) Hope he feels better soon.
    Crows and Eville SQUIRRELS love peanuts!

a monkey stole my title
    vCash
    (((hugs))) Glad you got kitty to a vet. I don't think they always realize how scary it can be for an owner when they mention cancer as a possibility. I hope it turns out to be something at least relatively minor, and that Runcible will be home in your arms soon.

vCash
    (((spiralgraph)))

I hope your cat gets better soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiralgraph View Post
    I got him from a shelter and he's probably only 3 or 4 years old. This happened so fast, two days ago he seemed fine.
    Animals will do their best to hide illnesses. Cats are better than guinea pigs, at least. My roommate's kitten was not anywhere close to dying with that fever, but by the time I noticed there was something wrong with my guinea pig, it was already too late.

4 years is at best "middle age" for a cat. Still quite young!

vCash
    Those are symptoms of a lot of different diseases and conditions, most of them not cancer.

I've been in your position before, where cancer was an option. Really not fun. But, in my case, it was NOT cancer. There's a very good chance that your cat also does not have cancer.

Still, it's not fun for a cat to feel like that. And not fun for the cat's owner either.

Good luck and please update us.

Quadless
    vCash
    I second what Allskate said. If your cat has a fever, the most likely cause is an infection of some sort, so try to stay positive even though I know it's hard. (I just went through this the month before last so I can well appreciate how anxious you must be.)

I hope whatever is ailing Runcible proves to be curable, and that he'll be well and back home with you soon. ((((((hugs))))))
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    I hope puss is okay. It is pretty distressing having a sick animal.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast