vCash

Proper puctuation question

Would you type the following phrase as either:

non-co-owner occupants

OR

non co-owner occupants

Normally, if I'm typing a word beginning with non, I would use the hyphen afterwards, such as "non-profit". I wouldn't type "non profit".

Thanks much.

vCash
    I wouldn't leave a space. Prefixes like non- and co- are parts of the whole word, not separate words.

Close up non to the following word in most cases, but if your style requires a hyphen rather than closing up co- to owner to avoid confusion with the double o, then hyphenate the other prefix as well, as in your first example.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupid View Post

non-co-owner occupants

OR

non co-owner occupants

Normally, if I'm typing a word beginning with non, I would use the hyphen afterwards, such as "non-profit". I wouldn't type "non profit".

Thanks much.
    I'd type it as "nonprofit" -- no hyphen and no space.

As for your original question, I'd use non co-owner occupants.

vCash

non-co-owner occupants

OR

non co-owner occupants

Thanks much.
    My insticts say "non co-owner occupants" is correct.

How about just writing the phrase "Non-Occupant Co-Owners" ? It solves the question of how to spell it and flows a little better IMO.

vCash
    Are you talking about people who live in the suite or wherever, but who aren't co-owners of the suite?
    I would write it as "non-co-owner occupants", since all three modifiers apply to the occupants. But if it's acceptable for whatever you're writing this for, why not "non-owner occupants", unless the co-ownership is an important part.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    My insticts say "non co-owner occupants" is correct.

How about just writing the phrase "Non-Occupant Co-Owners" ? It solves the question of how to spell it and flows a little better IMO.
    Non-occupant co-owners doesn't have the same meaning as non co-owner occupants. The former are not occupants, the latter are.

vCash
    Yes, I'm talking about condo co-owners (that's generally what they are called) who don't actually live in the unit but are renting/leasing it out to another person.

I've decided to type it as "non co-owner occupant." Non-co-owner occupant just looks wrong.

vCash
    Is there a prior distinction between owners and co-owners? If not, just write non-owner occupants. If you need the distinction, try non-owner/co-owner occupants/
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Yes, I'm talking about condo co-owners (that's generally what they are called) who don't actually live in the unit but are renting/leasing it out to another person.

I've decided to type it as "non co-owner occupant." Non-co-owner occupant just looks wrong.
    It seems that I have misunderstood what you meant by "non co-owner occupant" because "non co-owner" is the modifier of "occupant" as you have written it. Bostonfan's "non-occupant co-owner" actually seems to be what you are meaning to say, if you are referring to the co-owners and not the occupants (those leasing the condo).

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I am not sure what you are writing, but can you get around the issue by using a sentence like: the co-owners of the unit do not occupy the unit.

Or if you are talking about the occupants: the occupants of the unit do not own the unit.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    I'd say "non-co-owner," because "non" isn't a word by itself. (At least not in English.) It's a prefix.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I'd say "non-co-owner," because "non" isn't a word by itself. (At least not in English.) It's a prefix.
    This is one where you really need an office style guide to know what would be considered "correct," but this is what I would go with.

The only other option is to eliminate the hyphens and make it all one word, which is the modern preference, but the resulting word is very hard to read.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    "renters"?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    "renters"?
    I am going to try using "renter occupants," but if that is not acceptable, then maybe I'll just use the "non-co-owner occupants" because like someone said above, "non" is not a word on its own.

Thank you, everyone!