Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    It took me over a year to correct my toe waltz habit. It might be an "easier" jump, but there are lots of ways to do it wrong.

Currently, I'm being told I pick too close and too 'across'. So now I want to pick further away and straight back. This was a group substitute though, so I want to ask my actual coach, since he has been pretty positive about my toe loops.

For my (still non-existant) flip, he has been telling me to stop hammering the ice, pointing out if I even jump, it likely won't even be a full single, and I'm picking for a strong triple. LOL.
    My coach told me I was banned from even attempting toe loops for a while they were so bad. I must admit that I've not paid much attention to fixing them because I was working on double loop and it just seemed a bit pathetic that I had all the rest of my singles and was coming perilously close to landing a double and I couldn't do a single of the easiest jump. I think it stems from teaching myself when I began to jump - by the time I got to the harder jumps if the technique was horrendous I just fell, whereas with the toe-loop it was easy enough to land a dodgy single and not think too much about technique!

vCash
    I don't think the pole vault analogy fits. The way I am thinking of it, is that the toe pulls the skater backward giving the skater direction and momentum, while the upward jump movement is from the jumping leg. The more extended the picking leg is, the more distance there is in which to gain momentum from the toe's pulling back motion, and the greater the distance in the air is (because there was more momentum), meaning there is more time in the air in which to make revolutions. Not sure if I said that in a way that makes sense...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12