Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    I'm more inclined to shop at JC Penney now.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    I actually got a slightly different reply:
    As we focus on being in sync with the rhythm of our customers' lives and operating in a 'Fair and Square' manner that is rooted in integrity, simplicity and respect, we couldn't think of a better partner than Ellen DeGeneres. We are extremely proud to have her on our team.
    I got that one too. Wonder if they have a couple that they randomly respond with or if there are key words that trigger one or the other. Either way, good for them.

vCash
    As a bi-sexual man, currently VERY happy in a same-sex relationship, I watched this video with a big smile on my face and tears in my eyes. I never thought I could love Ellen DeGeneres more than I previously had. I sent a 'thank you' to JCPenney as well, and it makes me want to shop there as much as I can when I need to purchase new clothes and accessories.

vCash
    Margaret and Helen also love Ellen:

http://margaretandhelen.com/2012/02/...y-watch-ellen/

...Statistically speaking a hundred thousand of those moms are raising a child who secretly watches Ellen and would one day make a fine spokesperson for JCPenney....
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Apparently One Million Moms shut down their Facebook page...
    https://www.facebook.com/onemillionmoms?sk=wall

I can still access their wall, I've not been blocked, but then I never knew they existed. But apparently the post about Ellen and JCPenney has been deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    I'm more inclined to shop at JC Penney now.
    Ditto.
    Last edited by pollyanna; 02-14-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/onemillionmoms?sk=wall

I can still access their wall, I've not been blocked, but then I never knew they existed. But apparently the post about Ellen and JCPenney has been deleted.
    They must have just shut down for a while, because they were definitely gone. And it doesn't look like deleting the post about Ellen and JC Penney has stopped anyone from posting about it on their page .

I am boggled that someone sees the need for a Christian-based alternative to Girl Scouts. Maybe it's just my daughter's troop leader (who is very religious), but the GS seem pretty mainline Christian to me.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I am boggled that someone sees the need for a Christian-based alternative to Girl Scouts. Maybe it's just my daughter's troop leader (who is very religious), but the GS seem pretty mainline Christian to me.
    I saw that and I was like WTF? I read the Washington Times they linked to, and it states

The Girl Scouts have been “pro-choice” for years, but now they’ve been caught supporting promiscuous sex for girls. The Planned Parenthood sex guide offered at that “girls only” U.N. meeting offered this advice on Page 11: “Some people have sex when they have been drinking alcohol or using drugs. This is your choice. … If you want to have sex and think you might get drunk or high, plan ahead by bringing condoms and lube or putting them close to where you usually have sex.”
    Really? Suggesting condoms as a safe alternative means that they support promiscuous sex for girls? Puh-leeez!

JCPenney FTW!!!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    I saw that and I was like WTF? I read the Washington Post they linked to,
    I got a link to the St. Louis Dispatch and the article there said that they were upset that the GS allow girls to substitute a different term for God in their GS Promise, and because "the Girl Scouts had invited a lesbian to speak at the national level. 'They were encouraging girls to embrace whoever they were; it didn't matter what choices they made, as long as they were true to themselves. That was a concern.'"

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/m...992578e53.html

I love how they are open to girls of other faiths--as long as, you know, they fall in line.

That said, I don't have a problem with people forming a new group that better reflects their values; that's certainly their right. What I find more is that Boy Scouts, which has never had much to do with the Girl Scouts, has partnered with this new group because they have such similar values.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    The religioness of scouting in the US make me so sad. I survived my childhood and teen years by being a scout - I was an easy mark to tease in school, but you don't do that among scouts.
    Denmark have 2 organisations which are members of the world organisations, a secular and Christian (YMCA associated) organisation. I was a member of secular, and the 'God' clause in the international scount laws were phrased as 'finding your own belief and respecting others' - something I think that any person should do.

Scouting taught me life skills, got me my first boyfriend, entertained me, kept me active and out of trouble, made me meet friends from different parts of the world I still have today, made me independent and gave me leadership skills.

I am so sad they Boy Scouts of America are so different, I am not sure I would want baby viking to do that - in Denmark scouting would be a no brainer, it was simply the best part of my childhood.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post

I am so sad they Boy Scouts of America are so different, I am not sure I would want baby viking to do that - in Denmark scouting would be a no brainer, it was simply the best part of my childhood.
    I would never send a son to the American boy scouts after some of the shenanigans they've pulled with intolerant religious positions, not solely on gays. It's a shame there's no sane, modern alternative to the boy scouts without its religious lineage. The girl scouts have always been more liberal, with a small "l," possibly because girls just don't matter as much.

As for Ellen, I bought some of the anti-aging makeout she's hawking in the women's magazines. Her skin looks good.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    ^^ Cover Girl, right?

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Her skin looks good.
    ITA - she looks fabulous. I'd almost wonder if she had work done, but she looks very natural so I just think she's aged incredibly well.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    The organization itself is one thing--and if you object to their overall principles enough, then that's an issue--but individual troops may or may not be religious. Some are, some aren't. If little viking is ever interested and you wonder, ask how the troop leader runs a typical meeting; that will tell you a lot. It's even better if you can attend a meeting and see for yourself.

Don't ask if the troop is religious, because they know that's a trick question and many of them will try to be cagey until they figure out whether you want a religious troop or you don't, and then they will tell you what you want to hear. Some are upfront, but a lot of them aren't.

You will want to check into a troop in other ways, too, because they are all different. Some are very active; some barely do anything. Some focus on the outdoors; some focus on community work. It all depends on your leader.

In terms of alternatives, there's Campfire Boys and Girls, which has been around for decades but is still not very well known.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I did scouts at school (non-religous) and through my church (not particularly religious though we did start all field trips to NYC with a morning mass at St. Peter's Cathedral). I also tried to start a Daisy troop for my kid and mine would have been COMPLETELY non-religious as I'm an atheist.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    I did Brownies as a child. I don't recall any big religious connection. We mostly did arts and crafts and sold cookies. I'm not much for camping, so after the first camping trip - I was done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I did Brownies as a child. I don't recall any big religious connection. We mostly did arts and crafts and sold cookies. I'm not much for camping, so after the first camping trip - I was done.
    I also was in Brownies and Girl Scouts in grade school (my mother was a troop leader for a couple of years) and the only thing remotely "religious" I can recall was the mention of "God" in the Girl Scout Promise:

On my honor, I will try:
    To serve God and my country,
    To help people at all times,
    And to live by the Girl Scout Law.

From wikipedia, I see that now "Girl Scouts are given a choice of "whatever word your spiritual beliefs dictate" in place of the word God."

We didn't do much camping, except during the summer I went to a Girl Scout day camp (which had one overnight at the end of the week). I was even a "junior counselor" at the camp in middle school. Looking back on that, I'm a bit at the thought of those in charge entrusting the younger campers to my care for nature hikes and camp fires.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    The Boy Scouts tend to be more religious than the Girl Scouts, at least locally. There's a lot more talk about being who God wants you to be and such.

Most of the local Girl Scout leaders are Christians and most of them are pretty devout, but they all seem to be similar to my daughter's Girl Scout troop leader--or advisor, since the girls are older. She is a Christian and I think she sees being a Girl Scout leader as a mission of sorts. She is very focused on community service, which I am sure is also related to her religious beliefs. She does not, however, talk about religion with the girls or have them pray. She talks a lot about being a responsible citizen and helping others, and since I think those are good things, more power to her.

There are some troops, however, where religion is a central focus, but those troops tend to form in churches. There are a lot of local troops to choose from, so if you don't like one, there's always another one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123