Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Michael weiss

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    Michael Weiss..... the golden shark in the martini glass of figure skating, as Prancer would say.

I always loved his skating, his psycho fans, his equally psycho cat-lady detractors, the on the internet about him, and the craziness (and faux craziness) that he inspired at competitions.

I remember reading a review of the Grand Prix Final in 2003 that listed his elements as "Mike Pike - scream - triple flip - fall" and nearly hyperventilating with laughter.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    ^Agreed.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I liked Weiss until his wife started doing his choreography. After that...not so much.
    Weiss's worst LP was the one with him wearing the Tattooed shirt.

vCash
    ^ was that an lp or an sp? Some of his programs I remember very well and others just kinda bleed together. I did think it was odd that his website doesn't have any program information like other skaters do. heck, even some wiki pages give detailed breakdowns over the years including music cuts etc...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Weiss's worst LP was the one with him wearing the Tattooed shirt.
    I remember that costume - was it pre- or post-Lisa?
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    I remember reading a review of the Grand Prix Final in 2003 that listed his elements as "Mike Pike - scream - triple flip - fall" and nearly hyperventilating with laughter.
    I nearly spit out my water due to laughter upon reading "Mike Pike" -- there's a phrase I haven't heard mentioned in years!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnM View Post
    I nearly spit out my water due to laughter upon reading "Mike Pike" -- there's a phrase I haven't heard mentioned in years!
    Wasn't that the shoot-the-duck move?
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Wasn't that the shoot-the-duck move?
    Yep, officially submitted by him and his handlers on his planned content sheet (a form that is submitted to officials and broadcasters) as the "Mike Pike." I saw the form. With my own eyes. It feels like it was yesterday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastClub View Post
    Yep, officially submitted by him and his handlers on his planned content sheet (a form that is submitted to officials and broadcasters) as the "Mike Pike." I saw the form. With my own eyes. It feels like it was yesterday.

Was it a variation of some kind? I vaguely remember it, and not particularly liking it (along with that freedom blade move where he glided on heels with his toes up off the ice) but was there something about it that justified a name change?

vCash
    I remember that costume - was it pre- or post-Lisa?
    During - Lisa. They're still married

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    During - Lisa. They're still married
    I suspected as much. I liked one or two programs post-wedding, but for the most part, I thought her choreography did him no favors at all.

vCash
    Was it a variation of some kind? I vaguely remember it, and not particularly liking it (along with that freedom blade move where he glided on heels with his toes up off the ice) but was there something about it that justified a name change?
    Weiss did the move in the pike position. People do not learn shoot-the-duck in the pike position.

vCash
    I enjoyed Carmen, Beethoven and Santana. I briefly talked to Mike after his short in Nice(I think he messed up on one jump) and he was very nice. Great spins...loved his camel and sit.

vCash
    When he competed, I always enjoyed disliking Michael Weiss. I howled with laughter when he failed to make the 2006 Olympic Team (I have since matured.) Upon reflection, it always seemed that Winning was more important to his family than it was to him.

vCash
    I have enjoyed a number of Mike's Olympic eligible programs - Santana, the Beethoven one from 1998 (Egmont overture), Mulan, On the Waterfront, La Donna e mobile (short program) and several others. I hated the tattoo shirt. I didn't care for some of his COI programs (I was worried that he was channeling Philippe Candeloro whom I liked as an Olympic eligible skater, but can't stand most of his pro programs). I must say that I am enjoying Mike even more as a pro, and he is a very pleasant, appreciative guy. I also admire that he and Lisa are very supportive of up & coming skaters through his foundation.

vCash
    Don't know if time is clouding my memory, but I think I remember him being quite muscly back in his early competitive days , and being and when he said he wanted to get slimmer and leaner for the Olympics.

I was one of the ones who used to laugh at his antics too (remember that half-naked portrait of him and his wife in the bedroom?), but now that he's out there giving back to the sport and keeping his level of performance up, it's easier to appreciate how he had decent skating skills and textbook technique on elements like the Lutz

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CantALoop View Post
    Don't know if time is clouding my memory, but I think I remember him being quite muscly back in his early competitive days , and being and when he said he wanted to get slimmer and leaner for the Olympics...
    At one point he really bulked up and I think all that muscle mass in his upper body was throwing his jumps off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12