Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michael weiss

vCash

Michael weiss

Thinking back to his career he always seemed kinda blah and boring but I saw his 'on the waterfront' program from the 99-00 season and how he skated that in Nice was amazingly good. Speed,atttack, aggression, clean quad and interesting choreography. Too bad about his double axel mistake and that none of his prior or subsequent work was all that interesting or dynnamic. This program was a great vehicle for him. Any thoughts?

vCash
    I loved his Carmen.

Actually if his later numbers weren't so pretentious, he could actually leave an impression as an extremely musical skater. His classical programs were always great.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Liked his Santana program...
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I loved his Carmen.

Actually if his later numbers weren't so pretentious, he could actually leave an impression as an extremely musical skater. His classical programs were always great.
    I went back to watch it too. I really disliked his hunched shoulders and stiff upper body, but wow, he actually had surprisingly good edges and skating skills in general. They were particularly noticeable during the step sequences. No jerkiness and his turns were so clean and smooth! Better than Plushy I'd say!

vCash
    Which version of Plushy? Coz, if you are referring to the prime Pllushy, I don’t think so.
    Watch Plush from 2002-2003:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7WXL...eature=related
    and you’ll see how much Plushenko’s skating skills have regressed.

vCash
    I loved him !
    I remember him skating to Carmen at the 2000 Worlds in Nice.
    I still have his qualification round & free skate on VHS.
    He seemed like a nice guy.
    I saw him skate at Stars On Ice to a country song, he was really good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    I did to. I thought that was a breakthrough for him in artistry and maturity.

I also liked the Beethoven LP from 1998.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    I think that was Weiss' best program. It was done by Brian Wright. I don't think Weiss worked again with Wright after that, which was a shame.

vCash
    I too loved the Santana program. I do wish it had used the Abraxas album segue from Black Magic Woman into Oye Como Va, though.

What a wonderful pro career he has had. It's a shame that he didn't have the pro competition opportunites that Boitano, Browning, et al, experienced.

I have had several chance encounters with him and can confirm that Michael Weiss is indeed a very nice guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I think that was Weiss' best program. It was done by Brian Wright. I don't think Weiss worked again with Wright after that, which was a shame.
    Didn't Wright also choreograph his 1997 or 1998 short programs?

vCash
    I guess I should go back and re-watch some of these programs that are being mentioned! I remember seeing them at the time and not being all that wowed but I was just an early teen so lots of the details couldve been lost on me! Interesting mentions!

vCash
    I always enjoyed his skating. I particularly like his Santana and Carmen programs, and the Beethoven one was nice as well. Didn't care for Mulan nor the civil war one, and malagueña was kinda "eh" as well, and I can't for the life of me remember what he skated in slc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    I always enjoyed his skating. I particularly like his Santana and Carmen programs, and the Beethoven one was nice as well. Didn't care for Mulan nor the civil war one, and malagueña was kinda "eh" as well, and I can't for the life of me remember what he skated in slc.
    I'm trying to recall 10 years ago but I think it was spanish for the short programe & classical for the free.
    I think he skated early in the short & him landed a quad combination in the free.
    But I can't quite remember.

vCash
    I think he is one of those skaters who is better as a pro. He enjoys crowd interaction and is always in shape when he performs. I don't think he enjoyed being held to a classical standard when he was competing.

vCash
    I know he's a big crowd pleaser in shows and obviously works very hard at it, but personally I can't watch all of those break-dancing to boy-bands programs he does. I enjoyed him far, far more as an eligible skater.

vCash
    I always wanted to like Weiss...he made it difficult sometimes. But I will say, I always admired his line. He had beautiful spin positions and a great landing position on his triple lutz.

vCash
    Michael Weiss had very good skating skills. I believe he was a medalist at the US National Championships - Senior Figures in the early 1990s.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    I love Wright's programs for him
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    I was rather neutral about him when he was competing, but as a pro skater he is great. A couple of times I saw him performing in ice shows he was very entertaining. He kept all his skills, it seems, and added more.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    I love Wright's programs for him
    I liked Weiss until his wife started doing his choreography. After that...not so much.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast