Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    I love their interviews. Trankov always has something interesting to say.

vCash
    Lol @ the title. At first, I thought they meant no style like no artistry.

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceIceBaby View Post
    I wish Trankov tweeted in English so I could follow him!
    You can right click on his tweets and translate them to English. The translation can be , but you can pretty much figure out what he's trying to say.

vCash
    Thanks for the translation!!
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    TAHbKA, you are my hero!
    And now I have a really good reason to brush up my rusty Russian and try to read Trankov´s tweets

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    and these too...I love teams willing to take a risk and move the sport forward, where would we be today without team willing to take risks? There is nothing wrong with quads.

Z/Z 2006 Chinese Nationals
    K/S throw quad 2009 Russian Nationals
    K/S throw quad 2008 World Championship
    Vise/Trent 2007 throw quad TEB
    K/S throw quad 2009 European Championship
    K/S throw quad 2008 European Championship
    Zhangs and Vise/Trent are allright, but Kawa/Smi's throw quads are all underotated and doublefooted.

Sometimes you have to be willing to take the risk to get reward.
    I think it's exactly the point he is making. The reward is not worth the risk. As it is many times in figure skating.

Really? I thought it was Trankov falling in the short program that helped take the Russian team out of the medal hunt? And that was just on a triple so doesn't that count? Besides K/S didn't do a quad in Canada.
    Mukhortova/Trankov were not medal contenders in Vancouver. They didn't have a chance. KawaSmi were practicing the quad the whole season and a couple of minutes before the skate Moskvina told them NOT to do the quad. Think in their interviews they later admitted it confused them so much that they screwed the 3 throw (if am not mistaken, but I could be all wrong here). This is what Trankov is referring to.

The fact is, this is a sport, and he hasn't stopped doing triples just because he fell; he got up and tried them again even though pairs in the 70s and 80s thought they were dangerous. This IS a sport. I hope they continue to push themselves as well.... not just choreographically but physically. It would be a really shame if they have peaked.
    Again, think the point he is making is that the element is not dangerous to him - he remains on the ice. It's dangerous to his partner, who he doesn't want to risk. Assume Volosozhar doesnt' get much say on the matter taking it's Trankov who'd have to throw her

Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    And now I have a really good reason to brush up my rusty Russian and try to read Trankov´s tweets
    Rusty Russian wouldn't be much help there. He uses too much slang....

vCash
    Lyrics add eight points? Who knew?
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post

Mukhortova/Trankov were not medal contenders in Vancouver. They didn't have a chance. KawaSmi were practicing the quad the whole season and a couple of minutes before the skate Moskvina told them NOT to do the quad. Think in their interviews they later admitted it confused them so much that they screwed the 3 throw (if am not mistaken, but I could be all wrong here). This is what Trankov is referring to.
    My recollection is that they were in agreement that they would not do the quad, and Smirnov whispered to Kavaguti not to do it, but she wanted to do it so she jumped as if she were doing the quad, while he threw her as if he were throwing a triple. Naturally, it resulted in a failed attempt. There has to be complete harmony and trust between partners to pull off such a dangerous jump.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    My recollection is that they were in agreement that they would not do the quad, and Smirnov whispered to Kavaguti not to do it, but she wanted to do it so she jumped as if she were doing the quad, while he threw her as if he were throwing a triple. Naturally, it resulted in a failed attempt. There has to be complete harmony and trust between partners to pull off such a dangerous jump.
    Sounds right

vCash
    Zhangs and Vise/Trent are allright, but Kawa/Smi's throw quads are all underotated and doublefooted.
    The Zhangs and Vise/Trent were better than "all right" and out of the 16 4STh K/S did in the 2+ seasons they tried quad throws, not all were double footed as you suggested and none (according to the ISU protocols) were under rotated.

Mukhortova/Trankov were not medal contenders in Vancouver. They didn't have a chance.
    Of course they had a good chance, they had great momentum all season. Gold and silver in France and Canada, 3rd in both the short and free skate at the GPF finishing 4th, silver at nationals, bronze at Euros.... they had a great shot at a bronze, until he fell....then they had no shot.

KawaSmi were practicing the quad the whole season and a couple of minutes before the skate Moskvina told them NOT to do the quad. Think in their interviews they later admitted it confused them so much that they screwed the 3 throw (if am not mistaken, but I could be all wrong here). This is what Trankov is referring to.
    K/S only performed the quad throw once up Canada at the NHK Trophy. Not at the Cup of Russia, Grand Prix Final, Nationals or Euros; so it really wasn’t as practiced as it has been in the previous 2 seasons. Yuko’s dream was to do it at the Olympics but Tamara told them right after warm-ups and before they were to take the ice to skate that if they do a clean triple they may be able to hang onto the bronze. Even if Yuko had fallen on a quad or even a triple it didn’t cost them a medal. Smirnov’s step out on the first double axel and missing the second did... or Yuko’s fall on the loop or the all of the low levels did, but it wasn’t 'the quad'. Someone like Trankov who claims to know skating should have known what dropped K/S from 3rd to 4th and it wasn’t that one element.

Again, think the point he is making is that the element is not dangerous to him - he remains on the ice. It's dangerous to his partner, who he doesn't want to risk. Assume Volosozhar doesnt' get much say on the matter taking it's Trankov who'd have to throw her
    Risk is risk; a partner who can’t skate hurts the team no matter if it’s him or her. It sounds like she wouldn’t mind pushing the limits; he is just too scared to try something new.

AS: Nevertheless, the answer is `yes', you would do a quad throw?
    TV: Yes. I would try. But if the partner is afraid to throw me, I'd give it up.
    MT: I'm not afraid. I can throw... If Aljona asked me to do a throw quad with her I would. Or any other girl. But not Tanya. I have only one partner who I waited for for 5 years. I don't want her to injure herself. It's easy enough to get injuried as it is, why push it?
    He certainly doesn’t mind throwing her up more than 12 feet in the air and trying to catch her and we saw in France, she fell, she could have broke her ankle on the way down or cut him with her blade, thanks goodness it wasn’t much worse.

vCash
    A couple of photos of the Small Medals ceremony at Europeans in Sheffield

http://s1262.photobucket.com/albums/...t=P1000396.jpg

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    they had a great shot at a bronze, until he fell....then they had no shot.
    Why do some always seem to forget that Masha also botched the 3toe in the SP, two-footing the jump and putting her hand down. Yes, Maxim fell, which was more noticeable, but had he done the toe cleanly, the couple still would have suffered costly deductions due to her errors as well.

vCash
    The Zhangs and Vise/Trent were better than "all right" and out of the 16 4STh K/S did in the 2+ seasons they tried quad throws, not all were double footed as you suggested and none (according to the ISU protocols) were under rotated.
    You gave link to 4 quad throws by KawaSmi. All 4 are bad.

Of course they had a good chance, they had great momentum all season. Gold and silver in France and Canada, 3rd in both the short and free skate at the GPF finishing 4th, silver at nationals, bronze at Euros.... they had a great shot at a bronze, until he fell....then they had no shot.
    Untill they both screwed the jump you mean? Even if he didn't fall she messed it up anyway.
    Silver at the nationals and bronze at Euros- being Russia n2. IMHO meant they didn't have a chance even before the competition began.

Someone like Trankov who claims to know skating should have known what dropped K/S from 3rd to 4th and it wasn’t that one element.
    No, reckon it was the injuries they were fighting with. One of them was that Kawaguti's dislokated shoulder, if am not mistaken. Which, again, IIRC was caused by the quad throw.

Risk is risk; a partner who can’t skate hurts the team no matter if it’s him or her. It sounds like she wouldn’t mind pushing the limits; he is just too scared to try something new.
    They could also push the limits by trying something less dangerous. Like sbs 3f or sbs 3lz. For some reason not many do that.

He certainly doesn’t mind throwing her up more than 12 feet in the air and trying to catch her and we saw in France, she fell, she could have broke her ankle on the way down or cut him with her blade, thanks goodness it wasn’t much worse.
    Don't know, it seems to me she lost balance when already on the ice?

With that am done talking to you, afraid arguing with an uber is a waste of time. Am don't like Trankov THAT much

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Why do some always seem to forget that Masha also botched the 3toe in the SP, two-footing the jump and putting her hand down. Yes, Maxim fell, which was more noticeable, but had he done the toe cleanly, the couple still would have suffered costly deductions due to her errors as well.

Untill they both screwed the jump you mean? Even if he didn't fall she messed it up anyway.

Don't know, it seems to me she lost balance when already on the ice?

With that am done talking to you, afraid arguing with an uber is a waste of time.
    Because it is more fun to keep to a singular focus, where there is only one member of the team (the one a particular poster seems to despise) who screws up? And therefore, all failings, even the female partner screwing up the solo jump, are somehow the responsibility of the hated partner?

Ignore is (sometimes) your friend
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    Because it is more fun to keep to a singular focus, where there is only one member of the team (the one a particular poster seems to despise) who screws up? And therefore, all failings, even the female partner screwing up the solo jump, are somehow the responsibility of the hated partner?
    I’m guessing you a referring to me (judging by the profane message I just got from you ) but I can assure you, I do not hate Trankov or his current/former partner. He doesn’t enter my mind unless something new comes up; it’s discussed for awhile and forgot about. I don’t have a Trankov doll with needles poking his kness and groin hoping he gets hurt … I just don’t.

I hope it’s not true that they are retiring after Sochi; but if it is, that’s why I said I want them to continue to improve and get better.

I hope they continue to push themselves as well.... not just choreographically but physically. It would be a really shame if they have peaked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    Ignore is (sometimes) your friend
    Is it? Not sure you were aware ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I know I didn't remember that. I do remember the fall, though, and Maxim's heartbroken expression afterwards.

vCash
    I agree about the lifts - so ugly now, although some of the entrances and exits are fantastic. Possibly the look of the lifts will improve as everyone gets used to it. I agree with Maxim about the twist itself shouuld be rated on height, split, catch.

Last season they only first competed with S&S at Worlds. This season I suppose they had expectations for that Plushenko/Yagudin style face off and it hasn't come to pass yet. It would be exciting if that rivalry really did develop into a classic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12