Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Seems spinning could cause small brain hemmrhoges (spelling) which cumulatively could cause problems in later life or even earlier. I also wonder if injuries, though not as severe, similar to those caused by shaken baby syndrome might occur . An increasing number of football players are suffering problems in later life seemingly from the concussions they received while playing. All that being said the speed at which most skaters spin doesn't seem likely to cause any great harm.

vCash
    Skating is inherently dangerous. My massage therapist says I have chronic whiplash due to hard falls. I would probably fail the NASA astronaut physical as would most competitive skaters!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    I was surprised to read the article, as it was about concussion/brain injury. I'd assumed they'd be talking about permanent back injuries due to the positions. The problems I have with my own back are due to over-flexibility caused by gymnastics, according to medical pros. When I see some of the skaters doing that "pearl" type of spin, I just cringe.

The concussion angle is an interesting one. We'll have to see how it plays out with more study.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Ruh had trouble getting ice time when she started skating so she used to go to public skating and practice only spins...This was done for years.

vCash
    Lucinda trained in the United States (with Ness) and Canada during her career, as well as Japan and China. She only lived in Switzerland, where ice time was limited at one time, at the end of her career.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12