Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 292
  1. #81
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    206
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Springfield, IL local ABC news feature on Gracie Gold ahead of Junior Worlds that also features her twin skater sister, Carly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZJgwazj_88
    OT, but is that reporter wearing marge simpson's chanel suit?

  2. #82
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,462
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Gracie is so lovely
    she is a lock for silver at Junior Worlds, imo

  3. #83

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,641
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Nice way to jinx Gracie. In skating their is no such thing as a "lock".

  4. #84

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,667
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4440
    Gracie herself says she views Jr worlds as a learning experience, and plans to skate sr. Nationals next year, and hopes to finish top 6 there.

    I don't think those goals are unrealistic.

  5. #85
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,882
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^ Sounds doable to me.

  6. #86
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,304
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16759
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Gracie herself says she views Jr worlds as a learning experience, and plans to skate sr. Nationals next year, and hopes to finish top 6 there.
    I was going to ask you the source for the "top 6 in Senior" next season part but I just found it!

    Here's a phone interview/narration by Gracie Gold before Junior Worlds in which talks about her goals next week in Minsk and next season (includes a montage of still photos): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caPHivHyuXE
    (Note: The high school video producer may very well be the same Hannah Merrill who was once a fellow competitive skater in the Springfield FSC in Illinois, Gracie's former club)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-25-2012 at 06:11 PM.

  7. #87

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,928
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I was going to ask you the source for the "top 6 in Senior" next season part but I just found it!

    Here's a phone interview/narration by Gracie Gold before Junior Worlds in which talks about her goals next week in Minsk and next season (includes a montage of still photos): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caPHivHyuXE
    (Note: The high school video producer may very well be the same Hannah Merrill who was once a fellow competitive skater in the Springfield FSC in Illinois, Gracie's former club)
    Thanks for finding and posting this! Great to hear

  8. #88
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Norcal
    Posts
    698
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Will Gracie skate at Senior GP series next season?

  9. #89
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,304
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16759
    ^^^ We don't know yet.

  10. #90
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    688
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    her college plans were to attend Stanford University to study ophthalmology
    how would you study opthamology at stanford as an undergrad? is that even possible?

    wouldn't she just be premed?

    and it's one thing to major in engineering or another hard science at stanford while skating (like rachael) but to do so and expect to be an ELITE competitor? she'd have to win oly gold while only doing part time at stanford or something and then truly focus on school afterwards
    Last edited by iarispiralllyof; 02-25-2012 at 09:15 PM.

  11. #91
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,304
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16759
    I wouldn't over-analyze what Gracie said to a local reporter when she was 14 about what she might do in college (or hold her to it).

  12. #92

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,928
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukari Lepisto View Post
    Will Gracie skate at Senior GP series next season?
    I guess we'll have to see how she does at Junior Worlds. That might be one of the deciding factors as to whether or not she receives a GP assignment.

  13. #93
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    288
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    What kind of score or placement does Gracie need at the Junior Worlds to be able to compete at senior GP next season?

    Also, I'm just wondering whether she wants to keep competing at the junior level but do senior nationals? or is she moving up to senior level nationally and internationally completely?

  14. #94

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,928
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by letsskate View Post
    What kind of score or placement does Gracie need at the Junior Worlds to be able to compete at senior GP next season?

    Also, I'm just wondering whether she wants to keep competing at the junior level but do senior nationals? or is she moving up to senior level nationally and internationally completely?
    I took the easy way out and let Wikipedia do the work. There may be other information available which I'll see if I can find (that is, someone more facile/expert with the ISU regs doesn't beat me to it )

    Per Wikipedia:

    "Qualifying Skaters are entered in the individual events either by being seeded or by invitation. The seeding of top skaters at Grand Prix events basically takes into account their placement from the previous World Championships, as well as their ISU international ranking. Skaters who are not seeded can be invited by the hosting country and each country can invite up to three of their own skaters for each discipline. This is to give a balanced field throughout the series, as well as allowing the hosting country a chance to showcase their top competitors."

  15. #95
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,304
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16759
    Usually a top 24 ISU Season Best total score will guarantee 1 Grand Prix invitation IF a skater/team elects to compete senior internationally. Gracie Gold is currently #11 on the SB list (with a chance to improve on this score at Junior Worlds). It will be her and her team's decision whether or not to compete as a senior internationally next season.

  16. #96

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,928
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Usually a top 24 ISU Season Best total score will guarantee 1 Grand Prix invitation IF a skater/team elects to compete senior internationally. Gracie Gold is currently #11 on the SB list (with a chance to improve on this score at Junior Worlds). It will be her and her team's decision whether or not to compete as a senior internationally next season.
    As always, the supremely knowledgeable Sylvia. Thanks ever so much!

  17. #97
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    288
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Thank you Sylvia and sk9tingfan for answering I guess then based on the top 24 rule, it's most likely that Gracie will get one senior GP next season if she chooses to compete.

    I asked because I thought Gracie would have probably mentioned somewhere before whether she's doing senior or junior GP next season, but probably not.

  18. #98
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    845
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm guessing Gracie and her team are waiting for JW to make a decision -- if she doesn't medal, then it would make sense to do JGP next year.

  19. #99
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,882
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    If she is shooting for Sochi 2014 I'd make the argument that she should go senior next year no matter what the JW result...

  20. #100

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,726
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    If she is shooting for Sochi 2014 I'd make the argument that she should go senior next year no matter what the JW result...
    I agree. She's already guaranteed one senior GP (based on her SB score) and I'm sure USFS politiking (if necessary) could get her a second.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •