vCash

Were the Plane Crashed in 1961,what is it today?

Say,I was reading in Frozen in Time that the Plane Crashed in a Cabbage Field somewhere in Belgium (LOL,or whatever it's called now). I was wondering if we have any known History on what that puticular Field in now? Does anyone know? Thanks

Watch me move
    vCash
    Belgium is still Belgium.

There is a memorial marker in the town nearest to the crash site, but I don't think it's on the actual site.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I don't know about that field today, but here's information about the memorial in Belgium.

From http://www.usfigureskating.org/Shell.asp?sid=18817
    A memorial ceremony and dedication to mark the 40th anniversary of the loss of the 1961 U.S. World Figure Skating Team took place on Saturday, Feb. 10 [2001] in Berg-Kampenhout, Belgium.
    In addition to the 72 victims onboard, a young farmer was killed while working in the field of the crash site. The ceremony featured the unveiling of a 5-feet-high stone monument at the intersection of two narrow streets in Berg-Kampenhout - a small farming town located four miles northeast of Brussels.
    Photos: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Shell...=206&sid=18818

Main Offender
    cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    I'm starting to think that you are sort of obsessed with this particular flight.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

vCash
    Hey,thanks for the pics!!!! It would be great if we could actually find out what that actual spot is today. If it's still a Field,if it's still a Farm,etc.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Here is a link to photos of the memorial.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Shell...=206&sid=18818

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moka-Ananas View Post
    I'm starting to think that you are sort of obsessed with this particular flight.
    I wouldn't call it obsession unless the person is losing sleep over it, not living a normal life over it, etc.

Lots of people are curious about tragic events and really get into it. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. The Titanic tragedy to this day remains a fascinating bit of history for thousands around the world. My late grandmother first told me about it when we watched the Titanic movie from the '50s, "A Night to Remember" on television. I was just 9 or so at the time but I've been intrigued by the Titanic tragedy ever since. I've read all I could find on it. One day I'd like to visit one of the museums that hold relics from the fated voyage.

For my part, ever since I first heard about the hauntingly tragic 1961 plane crash I've wanted to know more about it. I've tried to read as much material as I could find on it. I've watched the videos of the '61 Nationals wondering what might have been at the '64 Olympics had those star-crossed skaters lived. I'm happy the "Rise" film came out and a whole new generation is learning about them.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

vCash
    deleted post
    Last edited by Vash01; 02-05-2012 at 06:04 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    Hey,thanks for the pics!!!! It would be great if we could actually find out what that actual spot is today. If it's still a Field,if it's still a Farm,etc.
    I'm pretty sure it's still a field today.

I once taught an esl class to airport staff and the crash surprisingly came up in conversation one day and some of the older guys remembered the crash from childhood. I'm pretty sure they said it was an asparagus field and still is today, although I never went to check it out, so I don't know for sure.

vCash
    The monument is at the GPS 50º55’15.46”N 4º31’36.86E. Google Earth will take you right to it, which is where these coordinates come from. It is in in a town called Lemmeke, Belgium which is SW of Berg which is SW of Kampenhout. It is just east of a forest. I read somewhere that for years after the crash as people built foundations for new homes in the area, they would sift through the earth looking for debris items. There was a local collecting reminants such as personal items (wallets, passports, purses, clothes, etc) and airline articles (food plates, toilet supplies, etc.) in case the USFSA asked for things to send back to the families or Sabena. The FAA was not salvaging wreckage at that time because they did not think that they had the technology or education to piece together the plane and determine the cause of the crash. They went by eye-witness accounts of its struggle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueiis0112 View Post
    The monument is at the GPS 50º55’15.46”N 4º31’36.86E. Google Earth will take you right to it, which is where these coordinates come from. It is in in a town called Lemmeke, Belgium which is SW of Berg which is SW of Kampenhout. It is just east of a forest. I read somewhere that for years after the crash as people built foundations for new homes in the area, they would sift through the earth looking for debris items. There was a local collecting reminants such as personal items (wallets, passports, purses, clothes, etc) and airline articles (food plates, toilet supplies, etc.) in case the USFSA asked for things to send back to the families or Sabena. The FAA was not salvaging wreckage at that time because they did not think that they had the technology or education to piece together the plane and determine the cause of the crash. They went by eye-witness accounts of its struggle.
    Are we saying that,THAT'S what the Field the Plane crashed in...is today?....A bunch of Homes were built on it? BTW. anyone know what songs the Skaters skated to for BOTH their Short/Long Programs? Is it possible to get them on CD.? BTW. did Skaters use music when doing School Figures?

Watch me move
    vCash
    Figures were never done to music.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast