Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Laetitia Hubert video interview

Anyone up for giving us a sense of the interview? My French is only good enough for a few words and phrases here and there.

Video interview with Laetitia Hubert

Nice to see her twenty years after her unusual Olympic debut!

vCash
    Just a summary, not a complete translation :

She talks about her best memories in her competitive career : her Gold at 1992 Junior Worlds, her win at 1997 Trophee Lalique, and 1992 Olympics.
    She is now a coach in Albertville, since 2003. She is really happy.

She talks about the new french team, that she is happy to see that we had so many french skaters at last Euros (3 men, 2 ladies, 2 dance teams, 2 pair teams).

A Gala will be held in Albertville on next February 19th, with every skater from the Albertville club, and Philippe Candeloro (as a guest) and Ballet from Villard-de-Lans.

The last part is about how she thinks Figure Skating will be in 20 years : she hopes to see a better and better french team, that the ice rink in Albertville will still be here.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    She looks wonderful! briancoogaert, any chance you missed a part where she mentions return to amateur competition?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Damn the video was removed. I would like to see what she looks like these days.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Damn the video was removed. I would like to see what she looks like these days.

Have you seen this?
    It's from the past month or so.

I hope whoever had that interview on youtube puts it back up .
    Last edited by casken; 02-07-2012 at 03:34 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post

Have you see this?

Ooh, she's so voidy in that. Even if the skills aren't there anymore she certainly is way more expressive these days. First spin was really enjoyable. Thanks for posting.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    She is now a coach in Albertville, since 2003. She is really happy.
    Ironic that she would be coaching in Albertville, where she first got so much attention good and bad!

I'm glad that she's happy though. With all her injuries, disappointing results, conflicts with her federation and controversies with coaches, it's nice that she still found a post-competitive career in the figure skating world that she enjoys!

vCash
    Thanks for posting that clip. Really interesting program. So good to see her skating.

I really liked this program of hers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_DGHA6mPa4
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Thanks for posting that clip. Really interesting program. So good to see her skating.

I really liked this program of hers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_DGHA6mPa4
    She was one of the highlights for me getting a rare chance to see a Worlds live in Minneapolis! Her speed, the height on her jumps, and unusual choreography were wonderful, in spite of her mistakes. Gutsy attempt at a 3T-3T there toward the end.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Anna Rechnio that year (and the following year).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks1227 View Post
    She was one of the highlights for me getting a rare chance to see a Worlds live in Minneapolis! Her speed, the height on her jumps, and unusual choreography were wonderful, in spite of her mistakes. Gutsy attempt at a 3T-3T there toward the end.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Anna Rechnio that year (and the following year).
    I was there too (the only Worlds I have been to). Hubert did a cracking 3lz-3t in practise which was enormous. When her jumps were on they were fantastic.

I love that music choice though - really different. I would like to see one of the current crop of skaters try it - maybe someone like Takahashi.

ETA - here is her 97 Lalique performance where she beat Lipinski. The reaction at the end is priceless - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I9H-...eature=related
    Last edited by Aussie Willy; 02-08-2012 at 08:09 AM.

vCash
    Both of Hubert's programs from 98, the sp and lp, are two of my favorites ladies programs ever.

I just wish we got to see the sp from Lalique. I think that's the only time she skated it completely clean.

She was skating the sp beautifully at the Goodwill games until she had a typical Hubert moment right at the end. I love how you can see the French judge's reaction to that fall too.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    ETA - here is her 97 Lalique performance where she beat Lipinski. The reaction at the end is priceless - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I9H-...eature=related
    Wow, her coach TOTALLY wrecked her moment. What an a**wipe!

vCash
    She was skating the sp beautifully at the Goodwill games until she had a typical Hubert moment right at the end. I love how you can see the French judge's reaction to that fall too.
    That was a competition that I only saw when it aired originally (all those years ago...) and that was the one moment that sticks out in my mind, the waxel with the crash at the very end of a great performance. Loved that SP of hers, the music is pretty. Also her Dead Can Dance program was unusual and interesting that year.

Glad to hear she's doing well and happy now. She was one of those that was not exactly a top favorite of mine, but I always wanted to see her do well.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash

Have you seen this?

Thanks for the link. Great to see some current skating of hers, even though it appears perhaps she's lost a triple or two?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Thanks for the link. Great to see some current skating of hers, even though it appears perhaps she's lost a triple or two?
    She still has speed and voidy choreo !

vCash
    Great to see she still has her avant garde spark and is still dancing to her own beat.

That being said, just like how there can't be an Olga Markova thread without mentioning the 1998 Jaca World Pros, there can't be a Laetitia Hubert thread without mentioning her awesome and voidy "Dying Prostitute on Crack"

I just lurve the bizarre music, all the crazy weird asymmetric positions, and how as the season went on, she changed the ending to be less morbid. It's too bad she eventually ended up ditching the program by Worlds :

Fearless Musher
    vCash
    I'm meeting Laetitia Hubert in a few days. Any questions people ?

The video linked in the OP is available HERE.
    Last edited by cholla; 02-14-2012 at 10:55 AM.
    "I missed the view and viewed the mist..." ©

vCash
    I'd like to know where the artistic ideas came from for Laetitia's competitive programs.

(Whether they were her idea, and what her inspirations were, or whether she relied on choreographers and who they were)

I'd say the earliest program of Laetitia's that I loved was her Edith Piaf exhibition when she won Junior Worlds -- too bad it doesn't seem to be on youtube

vCash
    Did she regret not taking extensive ballet classes when she was younger? Judges often complained about her lack of grace and flexibility.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cholla View Post
    I'm meeting Laetitia Hubert in a few days. Any questions people ?
    Awesome.

I like to hear about the 97-98 season and how she handled all the ups and downs. After beating Lipinski, she had to withdraw from Euros, the Olympics were a disaster, and if I remember correctly the fed kicked her out of her rink, but then she did very well at worlds anyway. It was definitely an interesting season for her.

If you're not to to ask, I'd like hear a bit from her about the Prostitute LP. (and where the music came from!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast