Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    Back on topic, I am also very surprised that the home team only generates a few Gold medalists! What does that mean for the "home field advantage" at the Olympics?
    Not very much. The United States and a combination of the U.S.S.R., Russians on the Unified Team, and Russia have won close to half of the gold medals that have been awarded. The U.S. has hosted the Olympics several times, but Russia hasn't. And of the remaining countries that have produced gold medalists, a few of them, such as Great Britain, Belgium, and the Netherlands, are never going to host the Winter Olympic Games, though Great Britain and Belgium did host Summer Olympics that had figure skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    Sorry, pairs have become so dreadfully dull in recent years ive stopped paying attention, but I thought it was understood that s&s had a "5 fall advantage" for gold So which Frankenstein russian pair is favored for gold then, the guy who keeps slamming that poor Japanese girl into the ice over and over again, or the one that's made up of two halves of last olys #2 and 3 pairs ripped apart and sewn back together?
    Well the GPF shows that S/S have to skate virtually perfectly to beat V/T right now, and it is surprising they have even been up to that task a couple times as that isnt their norm. I dont really think they can improve anymore at this point and he will be pretty old by Sochi, while V/T have been getting better ever since becoming a pair while still mantaining their consistency. I would be very surprised if S/S can stay ahead of V/T until 2014 (maybe hard to do even for Worlds this year). So the answer would be: the one that's made up of two halves of last olys #2 and 3 pairs ripped apart and sewn back together

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I dont really think they can improve anymore at this point and he will be pretty old by Sochi
    not that this means anything, butt.... S was 31 in Vancouver when he was beat by a 37 yo man! T will be 31 in Sochi to S's 34.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123